Author Topic: Grissel Roy and Robertson married at 15  (Read 5707 times)

Offline Alberta exile

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grissel Roy and Robertson married at 15
« on: Tuesday 05 April 11 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am tracking John Robertson who married Grissel Roy on October 25th 1783
Donald Roy and Margarett Fraser had Grissel on April 30th 1768
Grizel appears to have died in Glasgow of consumption April 28th 1825 aged 57
Is it likely that Grissel was 15 1/2  when she married farmer John Robertson?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Grissel Roy and Robertson married at 15
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 11:50 BST (UK) »
The date you have shows as a member IGI submitted entry and looks to be the christening entry rather than birth date.

Monica  :)

PS: Legal age for marriage for girls at that time was from 12...not that I have ever come across one anywhere near so young!
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 48ers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 07:43 GMT (UK) »
Last week I got the Death Certificate for Alexander Robertson, which says his parents were John Robertson, farmer and Grizel Roy.  It would appear from the census for Alex his age is different to his headstone and certificate. I have an approximate birth year of 1786-1785 with 2 birthplaces Forres and Burstyants INV depending which census you read.  I still havent found his birth or possible siblings.

Does any of this sound familiar to you.

Kay Sturgeon, GOL GOL NSW AUSTRALIA
BRADNAM/BRADMAN - Withersfield SFK & CAM & LND; ELDER Andrew Anstruther Easter FIF SCT; HOY - Elmdon Essex; HOY - Australia;RYLE - Australia;STOREY - Rushbrooke SFK;STURGEON - Rushbrooke & Pakenham SFK;WOOLLARD - Withersfield SFK

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 08:34 GMT (UK) »
One thing to note with this query, is the spellings of the forname of "Girsel" (as per Scotland's people, marriage, 25th October 1783.) and the two versions in this post.
Added.James was born 1st September 1784, christened 9th September 1784, Forres, Moray. (Mother's forename name, Grizel.)
Alexander was born 28th May 1786, christened 7th July 1786 in Forres, Moray. (Mother's forename, Grizel.)
Thomas was christened 28 January 1789, at Knockando, Moray. (Mother's forename, Girsel.)

Regards

Malky

Offline 48ers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 09:48 GMT (UK) »
I noticed I made a typo 1785-1796 I should have written.  Malky you have made my day, just found the birth on IGI.  ;D, .

Would love to hear from anyone with these connections.
BRADNAM/BRADMAN - Withersfield SFK & CAM & LND; ELDER Andrew Anstruther Easter FIF SCT; HOY - Elmdon Essex; HOY - Australia;RYLE - Australia;STOREY - Rushbrooke SFK;STURGEON - Rushbrooke & Pakenham SFK;WOOLLARD - Withersfield SFK

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 November 11 10:40 GMT (UK) »
One thing to note with this query, is the spellings of the forname of "Girsel"

This forename crops up as Grisel, Grisell, Grissel, Grissell, Gressal, Gressall, Grizel, Grizal, Grisal, Grisall, Grizall, Grizell, Grizzel, Grizzell, Grisill, Girsal, Girsel, Girsall, Girzal, Girzall, Girsell and Giorsal. It is also used interchangeably with Grace ;)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 November 11 10:59 GMT (UK) »
I am tracking John Robertson who married Grissel Roy on October 25th 1783
Donald Roy and Margarett Fraser had Grissel on April 30th 1768

Can you be 100% certain that the Girsel Roy who married John Robertson is actually the daughter of Donald Roy and Margaret Fraser? What is the evidence for this?

I ask because the marriage took place in Knockando, and the early Knockando records were destroyed by a fire in (I think) the 1780s. Also Knockando is quite a long way from Killearnan, where the family of Donald Roy and Margaret Fraser were baptised.

Unless you have definite proof that these two Grizels are one and the same, you have to consider the possibility that the one who married John Robertson is one whose baptism record has not survived.

Grizel appears to have died in Glasgow of consumption April 28th 1825 aged 57

Exactly how is her name recorded in the death record?

Is it likely that Grissel was 15 1/2  when she married farmer John Robertson?

It's certainly possible, but also it is unlikely.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline 48ers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 November 11 12:01 GMT (UK) »
I ask because the marriage took place in Knockando, and the early Knockando records were destroyed by a fire in (I think) the 1780s.

Thank you for drawing this to my attentiion, went sleuthing and found these two websites with information.

http://www.londonfhc.org/content/catalogue?p=Scotland,Scotland,Moray,Knockando&f=1

Knockando, Moray, Scotland - Church records
Title: Parish registers for Knockando, 1757-1854
Authors: Church of Scotland. Parish Church of Knockando (Moray)
Film Items: Microfilm 0990806 Vol. 1. Baptisms, 1757-1819; marriages, 1768-1819. v. 2. Baptisms, 1820-1854; burials (mortcloth dues), 1841-1854. (Preferred film for viewing. Use this before ordering the other filming.)
Microfilm 0102043 Item 1 Another filming. 1952.

https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Knockando,_Moray,_Scotland#Church_Records

Births: Three volumes of birth records of this parish dated 1712–1767 appear to have been burnt, together with the session clerk's house in the year 1783. Entries prior to 1768 are irregular. There are six pages of irregular entries, dated 1757–1804 at the beginning of the volume. The lower portion of the second page is cut off and there are several years out of chronological order. Pages are generally attested to by the session clerk.
Marriages: There are no entries March 1794–December 1796.
Deaths: There are no records prior to 1841.
Source: Key to the Parochial Registers of Scotland, by V. Ben Bloxham, pub. 1970. British Book 941 K23b.

Kay Sturgeon, Gol Gol

Offline maxin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 March 19 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this thread is too necroed but I'm also interested in Grace (recorded variously as Grizel and Grisel). Born Roy, in Knockando most probably, but we'll probably never know due to that fire.

Written account of her by her grandson is attached. [edit - too big to post, shared link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5UInjw2xobeZVlZcTk5d3VPWlE/view?usp=sharing]

Married first husband John Robertson 25/10/1783 of Forress and had three or four children by him (James, Alexander, Isobel, Thomas).

Frequent witnesses at baptisms are Alexander Roy, Isobel Roy and Alexander Christie - perhaps parents?

Husband dies and she has a second husband, reputedly her cousin, Alexander. I can't find a marriage record.

She has two sons by Alexander. (Alexander and James) (He's said to come from Boharm, but can't establish a birth record that looks likely).

She's buried in Drumblade churchyard, 24 Nov 1833, stone 290 with second husband Alexander. . Son Alexander is buried next door in 289 with most of his family, while son James emigrated to NZ.

Burial stone record here: http://www.anesfhs.org.uk/databank/miindex/miindex.php

Keen to hear if anyone establishes parents for Grace and Alexander bearing in mind that they are cousins.