Author Topic: Colleary of Sligo  (Read 2502 times)

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Colleary of Sligo
« on: Tuesday 05 April 11 23:31 BST (UK) »
I'm at a dead end!  I'm told that my partner's grandmother Beatrice Day had Irish ancestry from Sligo.  I have found out that Beatrice's grandparents were Michael Colleary (also spelt Collary and Collery) and Margaret.  Michael was born in Ireland in about 1838 and Margaret in about 1841.  At some point they went to England - their children were born in Deepcar, West Riding of Yorkshire from about 1865.  They lived in Barnsley, Deepcar and Stocksbridge WRY. 
However I can find no evidence of Sligo origins, only 'Ireland'.  I think Michael and Margaret married before they went to England, perhaps about 1861.  If anyone can shed any light on this I would appreciate it.  They were in Deepcar c1865 and in Barnsley in 1871.
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)

Offline Berlin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Colleary of Sligo
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 April 11 22:59 BST (UK) »
I found a Michael Colleary, of Ranaghan, Co. Sligo married to Margaret Fahy of Thornhill, Co. Sligo on 20 Feb. 1860 (incidentally 100 years to the day before my parents were married!) in the parish of Ballysadare & Kilvarnet. Groom's father was Daniel Colleary, mother Margaret Connell. Bride's father was Patrick Fahy, mother Brigid Kane. Both Ranaghan and Thornhill are near Ballinacarrow, Co. Sligo.
Myers, Webb and Cusack: Co. Cork
Monaghan: Co. Meath
O'Sullivan: Co. Kerry
Linnane and Kelleher: Co. Galway
Coyle and Grimes: Co. Kildare

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Colleary of Sligo *COMPLETED*
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 April 11 21:16 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for that.  It fits in with the other facts.  I am sure they married in Ireland because I cannot find a marriage in England & Wales.  They must have then emigrated together. Their first? child was born in 1863 in the Wortley Registration District, where they settled.  The name was later changed to Collary.  Thanks again.
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)