Author Topic: Robert Morris+Elizabeth Turner  (Read 1509 times)

Offline tommy-tipper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Morris+Elizabeth Turner
« on: Friday 08 April 11 12:23 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am trying to find out more information on Robert Morris married Elizabeth Turner of Eckington Derby on 6th August 1804.
If anybody knows Roberts parents or indeed any children of Robert and Elizabeth as my search has drawn a blank.
Thanks

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Morris+Elizabeth Turner
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 April 11 16:13 BST (UK) »
What other information do you have??

Where do they fit into your tree?? I am assuming you have a link somewhere??

Do you know the name of any children????

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tommy-tipper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 April 11 17:56 BST (UK) »
Hi
We have been at a dead end for 10yrs now trying to find the Robert Morris that Christened his son (Robert) in 1818 in Ashbourne,He is listed there as a soldier and Elizabeth Morris the Mother.
We find him in Chester in the 1841 census as a shoemaker,his son opens a shoemaker shop in Derby so there must be a tie to Derbyshire somewhere but we cant track the birth or parents of Robert the elder.
Family stories say our name should be Morrison which ties in with the jacobites around Derby but the history cant go back any further than we know he was in Ashbourne in 1818.
Robert the elder went on to have more children in Chester from which my line comes from.

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 April 11 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Hope you do not mind receiving some of my thoughts:-

Do you not think that a marriage in 1808, which did not appear to produce a child until
1818 is not the correct one?

Eckington is a long way from Ashbourne, but do think it quite likely that someone from
Cheshire could be working/living/visiting Ashbourne Derbyshire.

You say that Robert Morris Snr., was a Soldier have you obtained this information from
the original entry in the Parish Register?  If so can you post the exact statement as
it appeared in the Register?

Have you tried the National Archives Site to search for Soldiers?

The site is
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/search.asp

When page opens enter Robert Morris in the word/phrase box
Year range  - do NOT enter a start date but do enter end date of 1820
Department - enter WO
Click search and you are presented with a number of results.
Robert Morris born Chester looks interesting.

If the parish register mentioned a regiment you may be able to tie him up, if not it may be worth seeing what information the various regiments hold on these people.

Spendlove                                       

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 April 11 00:37 BST (UK) »
Hi
We have been at a dead end for 10yrs now trying to find the Robert Morris that Christened his son (Robert) in 1818 in Ashbourne,He is listed there as a soldier and Elizabeth Morris the Mother.
We find him in Chester in the 1841 census as a shoemaker,his son opens a shoemaker shop in Derby so there must be a tie to Derbyshire somewhere but we cant track the birth or parents of Robert the elder.
Family stories say our name should be Morrison which ties in with the jacobites around Derby but the history cant go back any further than we know he was in Ashbourne in 1818.
Robert the elder went on to have more children in Chester from which my line comes from.

Have you got a little muddled with your Roberts???

Robert the son b. c. 1817 Ashbourn Derbys - is in Chester in 1841 and his mother Elizabeth seems to be with him- she gives p.o.b. as Chester

Robert (b.c.1817 is in Chester 1851 with wife Ann 2 children - then 1871 still in Cheshire with wife Ann -1881 widower but still in Cheshire

I cannot find a likely candidate for Robert senior
nor can I find Robert jnr in a shop in Derby???

Could you post detailds of Robert in Derby???

Henry St Chester
Robert Morris 20 shoeM no
Elizabeth 50 yes
James 20 ShoeM yes
Elizabeth 15 yes
Alfred 10 yes
HO107 130 9 6 7

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tommy-tipper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 April 11 13:51 BST (UK) »
The Henry St is my line,im chasing the soldier mentioned in the other post which seems as if thats a good chance of it being him,at my wits end now trying to get past this.Chester records online dont seem to be complete as some parishes will not let the records be published.