Author Topic: Curious about McIlrath, McIlwraith, McElrath family in Antrim  (Read 3335 times)

Offline cdrathbone

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Curious about McIlrath, McIlwraith, McElrath family in Antrim
« on: Saturday 09 April 11 05:15 BST (UK) »
McIlrath - My gg grandfather was from Antrim - just curious if McIlrath (McIlwraith) is still a common name there. Would like to talk to someone from Antrim with this surname or that knows of this surname. I'm interested in local histories, old stories etc.

Offline cdrathbone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Curious about McIlrath, McIlwraith, McElrath family in Antrim
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 April 11 05:43 BST (UK) »
My g g grandfather, John McElrath was born in Antrim around 1788. His family settled in South Carolina, USA. I know very little about my family so I'm just curious about my roots, where he was from and if there are still people with this name living in Antrim. Would love to talk to someone from Antrim. I have seen the name spelled many ways some of which are in my subject line. Any feedback about this family or Antrim in general would be treasured. Thank you for your time.  Dean Rathbone

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Curious about McIlrath, McIlwraith, McElrath family in Antrim
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 April 11 11:04 BST (UK) »
You can have a look at the 1901 & 1911 censuses on:

www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/?then

In 1901 there were 149 people in the county of the name McIlrath, but as you say there are many variations. McElrath – 3, McIlwraith – 6.

There would still be families with this name in the county today.
Elwyn

Offline cdrathbone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 April 11 16:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for the information. I'm very new at this so I actually messed up my first post :) My g g grandfather's name was Adam instead of John. John was my ggg grandfather and he was born in Ayr, Scotland. It is comforting to know that I could still have some distant relatives in Antrim because there are no males within my branch of the family to carry on the name. Once again, thank you. Dean Rathbone

Offline Noplacelikehome

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 04:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dean,

I have good news for you.  I know where Mill Farm and the nearby derelict Mill is situated near Killead,  in Antrim.  I'm 99% sure this is the Farm and house you've been searching for, and it's still there!    You may be able to view photographs of the house on Streetview or Goolgle Earth! 😁

The address is -
MILL FARM
39, Antrim Road,
Aldergrove,
Crumlin
ANTRIM
BT29 4DY
Northern Ireland
United Kingdom

Google earth with this address detail, let's you view the side gate entrance to MILL FARM. (The Farm name is on the gates.)  Move the cursor towards the Antrim Road, then turn left.  On this road move the cursor on slightly 2 or 3 times,then swing round to view the house on the left with a central arched window. This house, barns and outbuildings are what you've been searching for, MILL FARM.
It's about 5 miles as the crow flies to Killead, which is a small hamlet, Killead Presbyterian Church with which your family had connections, is in the centre of Killead.  You wouldn't be able nowadays to travel by road from the house to the church in a 'straight line', as there is an airport, BELFAST INTERNATION AIRPORT situated between the two,hence there would be a slight detour around the Airport.
I live in the area, that's how I noticed the name, 'Mill Farm' on the gates!

HOPE this helps you in someway.

More info for you at the Church:-
Grave of William McElrath, MILL FARM.
Containing an inscription to:
Robert Harper McElrath Royal Dublin Fusiliers killed in action 21st October, 1918 aged 32 years, youngest son of the late James McElrath buried in Dadizeele Cemetery, France.
"His duty nobly done."
The following details are from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission and is reproduced with their permission:
Robert Harper McElrath, Private 25459.
1st Bn Royal Dublin Fusiliers.
Grave/Memorial reference I.B.30 Dadizeele New British cemetery.
Son of the late James and Mary McElrath, of "Mill Farm", County Antrim.

Regards :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Same reply posted on a duplicate topic- no idea why it was ever started on Lighter Side  :-\
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=594357.msg5796549#msg5796549
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jackson10498

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 January 19 17:15 GMT (UK) »
My g g grandfather, John McElrath was born in Antrim around 1788. His family settled in South Carolina, USA. I know very little about my family so I'm just curious about my roots, where he was from and if there are still people with this name living in Antrim. Would love to talk to someone from Antrim. I have seen the name spelled many ways some of which are in my subject line. Any feedback about this family or Antrim in general would be treasured. Thank you for your time.  Dean Rathbone

I am possibly related to Adam McElrath. My name somehow got changed to McElreath. So weird on ancestry all kids kept the spelling except William. I am William McElreath’s 4 times great granddaughter(i think).  His mother is Rebekah Wingo from South Carolina.  I am curious if I have the correct linage and as to why the name spelling would be changed.