Author Topic: Martin-McEntees of Magheracloone  (Read 3642 times)

Offline Runner55

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Martin-McEntees of Magheracloone
« on: Saturday 09 April 11 13:27 BST (UK) »
My late father was James Martin born in 1912 in a place called Comertha, Carrickmacross. He was a Catholic.  He went to Carrickmacross Grammar School and was close friends with a Willy McCabe who he stayed in contact with all through his life.  My father died in 1986 in England and Willy died one year later.

My father's father was a John Martin and his mother Mary Anne (nee McEntee) who I understand might have been originally from a placed called Beagh in the same area (I live in England and have no knowledge of the locality at all.)

I vaguely remember my father telling me that his family were known as the 'Martin Doaghs' or the 'Black Martins'.

My grandmother, Mary Anne, died in 1913 in childbirth (her daughter survived - I think she was called Mamie but I'm not sure) and my grandfather John Martin married again at some point and had another family.

I have my grandfather's death certificate that showed he died in a place called Coolcair in 1966 aged 88 years and present at his death was a son named Michael Martin who I presume was one of the children from his second marriage.

Does anyone know these locations or have knowledge of any of these people?

Also, can anyone advise me as to which graveyards they might possibly have been buried  and how would I get hold of burial records?

Many thanks

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Martin-McEntees of Magheracloone
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 April 11 10:14 BST (UK) »
It would be Cormertagh where your father was born as it is adjacent to Beagh at the extreme west of the parish of Magheracloone abutting the parish of Magheross, Beagh also abuts Co Cavan. The church is I believe St Peter and Pauls where there are said to be many Martin headstones. As far as I know the only Coolcair in Carrickmacross district is in the parish of Donaghmoyne some distance away so he may not have been buried at St Peter and Pauls.

My great-grandmother was Rose Martin of Leons Beg, Magheracloone to the south east of the parish a long way from your father's place of birth so not likely to have been related. I too live in England and my only knowledge is only through research but there is sure to be someone living out there who can help more.

Good luck,

J.T.A.

Offline Runner55

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 April 11 17:20 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for that information.  That's really helpful. 

Would you happen to know if the churchyards are open for anyone to walk in and view the headstones?  We're planning to visit the area in the summer.

Also, is it possible to get access to the written burial records in the church itself?

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 April 11 17:49 BST (UK) »
If you can open this link it is a picture of the church with a bit of the churchyard included and it is all open. Irish church death records in general don't start very early so don't expect anything as early as 100 years ago but you will have to contact the priest Fr Finnigan for that.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/monaghan_ireland/1829963758/in/set-72157602851831013

Good luck,

J.T.A,

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 April 11 18:25 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0co3/ gives you two Michael Martins in Carrickmacross + one in Broomfield, these are all the Michael Martins in phonebook for all Co. Monaghan.

From outside Ireland (042)966XXX would become (0035342)966XXX.

Usually you will find a local undertaker who carries out the funerals there so worth finding out who he could be, often they have their books going back in time.. names/dates/grave location maps.

Access to records is up to the Priest there, and not automatic. Often the u/taker could have better records for deaths! Access to graveyards is the easy part.

Also, talk to locals especially farmers!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Runner55

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 April 11 19:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much to all replies.  That gives me a very good start.  The undertaker tip is interesting - wouldn't have thought of that.