Author Topic: Irish Genealogy Meet  (Read 20372 times)

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Irish Nutter on the Hunt for Rellies :-)
    • View Profile
Irish Genealogy Meet
« on: Saturday 09 April 11 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hey everyone  :)

I'm in the thinking process here at the moment and just wondering if anyone would be interested in the possibility of coming to a meet in Dublin in Mid-October. As its my first time doing this, so would like to keep it to a small this time around. Was thinking, maybe arrive on a Friday evening and have dinner somewhere...then on the Saturday, head to the National Library of Ireland for research stuff. Just a thought of what to do....

I know its early putting this up but thought I would get an idea of who would like to go and would love to meet you all too  ;D

Annie
The surnames, which I am interested in are; Maternal side: Ryan, Kevin, Grant, Grady, Gleeson, Walsh, Dwyer, Paternal side: O' Dwyer, Woodlock, Rochford & Britton - all in Tipperary; and Kelly and Hoynes in Laois.

Ryan, Campbell, Luttrell, Grant, Grahame, Bainbridge and Brown in Queensland, Australia

Tighe in Victoria, Australia.

Grant in Philadelphia, Sullivan and Penny in New York; and Britton in Connecticut

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
Re: Irish Genealogy Meet
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 April 11 03:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie

Sounds good BUT not sure re the National Library as is only Catholic records there and I kinda need both tho wouldn't want to drag everyone out to Churchdown - having been before.

Tho the library has an excellent geneaology centre have to say. Also woirth pointing out to use the National Library records you need a reader card so peeps who don't have one need to bring passport sized photos for getting one and getting in.

Put us down for 3 possibles!

Ann  :D
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 April 11 10:38 BST (UK) »
Annie,

I might be interested. Put me down for 1 place.

Elwyn
Elwyn

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 April 11 10:54 BST (UK) »
Cool beans....

Think it would be worth putting up the National Library of Ireland website for peeps so they know what to expect...haven't been up there myself so going to take a look too lol. http://www.nli.ie/en/intro/how-to-find-us.aspx. As Ann stated, we would all have to get readers tickets so the information is there about it all..cheers Ann

Annie
The surnames, which I am interested in are; Maternal side: Ryan, Kevin, Grant, Grady, Gleeson, Walsh, Dwyer, Paternal side: O' Dwyer, Woodlock, Rochford & Britton - all in Tipperary; and Kelly and Hoynes in Laois.

Ryan, Campbell, Luttrell, Grant, Grahame, Bainbridge and Brown in Queensland, Australia

Grant in Philadelphia, Sullivan and Penny in New York; and Britton in Connecticut

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 April 11 11:09 BST (UK) »
a couple of details to add to the topic - to view RC parish records, tithe records, or newspapers you only need what's called a newspaper pass. You just collect this at reception - no signing on required

The NLI is only open on Saturdays up to 1 o'clock, so maybe people with a few items to check would be better starting their searches on  a weekday.

The RCB Library is only open Monday to Friday

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 April 11 11:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for throwing that up Shane...

Maybe we should meet in Dublin on Friday lunchtime and go down then and have dinner in the evening and then back to the NLI on Saturday morning??

Annie

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 April 11 22:14 BST (UK) »
I presume we Dubliners would be welcome to join in the fun?!

count me in if I'm around, though there's a move afoot in the family for a trip away in October.

edit: the Gilbert Library (with a lot of Dublin stuff) is open on Sat afternoons, except Bank Holiday weekends

eadaoin

Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 April 11 22:21 BST (UK) »
Eadaoin..I'm from Tipperary lol so ur definitely counted in lol.

Offline PatB71

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 April 11 09:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie,
             Def would be interested in doing this ..and seeing as how I`m in Laois u could pick me up on the way up ;)
Brennans-Boyle
Murphy-Monasterevin
Flood-Monasterevin
Derrigan-Rathangan
Prendergast-Athy