Author Topic: Village of Keinton Mandeville, Somerset  (Read 2843 times)

Offline tjdaynes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Village of Keinton Mandeville, Somerset
« on: Saturday 23 April 05 13:09 BST (UK) »
I am very interested in the village of Keinton Mandeville, Somerset as many of my relatives seemed to have come from there.Names include Brabner, Paul, Cox, Coates, Harris, Chalker, and Bailey.Any info would be great.

Offline Ivanbako

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Village of Keinton Mandeville, Somerset
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 September 05 03:00 BST (UK) »
There are many Chalker families listed in Keinton Mandeville census returns of 1861/ 1871. Have you checked these sources?

I am interested in  Elijah Chalker born about 1805 and his wife Clara born about 1803 - listed in the 1861 census.

Forebears?

ivanbako

Offline tjdaynes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 September 05 09:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,   At the moment I am trying to untangle the CHALKER families.It seems there were 2 main Chalker families in the village and it seems to me as though they called there children all the same names eg John  or Oliver. By coincidence I went to visit the village at the weekend and went to the church and saw their gravestone.I wrote down the details----Elijah Chalker died Jan 19th 1871 aged 66 years and his wife Clara Chalker died Sept (couldnt read date) 1871 aged 80 years. If it is any help the gravestone was next to another Chalker gravestone that was in poor condition but it said William Chalker died Nov 20th 1861 aged 60years and his wife Bithieh?? died in the year 1896 aged 89years. Her name rings a bell  and I think I may have some info and probably correct name spelling of her if you would like. hope this is of some help to you.
   Tracy

Offline pedrtim

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 October 05 14:37 BST (UK) »
I am a descendant of Elijah and Clara Chalker (nee Haines) of Keinton Mandeville- they are my great great great grandparents though their daughter Jane.

Elijah married twice and his marriage to Clara was his second marriage, they maried on 4 july 1830, Jane was born in the following year.  Elijah's first wife was Elizabeth Bailey, their marriage taking place on 27 july 1826. At the time of his second marriage Elijah is recorded as being widowed.

In the 1841 census Elijah is recorded as a stone cutter, but later in a trade journal in 1866 he is recorded as being a shopkeeper.  His daughter Jane married Robert Brooks, a stone cutter and later a grocer and post-office 'receiving officer' (I presume subpostmaster) at Keinton Mandeville until his death when Jane took on the position. Possibly the shop kept by Elijah passed to Robert and Jane. Jane clearly felt the name Chalker worthy of being maintained -  Robert and Jane's son was Frederick Chalker Brooks, - as far as I know their daughters Leah Ann, Clara and Ellen did not keep the name.
One of the daughters, Leah, married a Chalker and is recorded as Leah Chalker as the informant at her mother's death. The Brooks and Chalker families obviously knew each other well - the original members of the Methodist Church at KM include a number of Brooks and Chalkers. Thomas Chalker is said to have brought Methodism to KM.

Hope you'll find this useful!

Offline Ivanbako

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 October 05 00:35 BST (UK) »
The commercial ventures of Elijah Chalker may confirm a family history that I heard , probably third hand, many years ago.

My great grandmother was Charlotte Chalker, born 12 March 1842 and the youngest of the family, I believe. The story is that she was the daughter of the village postmaster and eloped with her husband to be by means of a horse and cart (what else?). She married Frederick Seward, also  Keinton  born, on Christmas Day 1868 when she would have been 26 years old. They then moved to Frome, where they raised a family of six girls and two boys.

One of her daughters, Margaret, was given the second name Chalker.

Charlotte died in Frome  6 May 1913.

I would be interested in learning anything about the Seward family in Keinton and in particular the origin of Joseph Seward, father of Frederick.

Offline jomalomo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 November 05 23:12 GMT (UK) »
hi there

just thought id say that i live only a few minutes away from keinton mandaville. a lovely little village. interesting how u say ur relative was a shopkeeper- the only shop in the village is a bakery, and i think it has always been a bakery.
the name seward is also a very common name in somerset, io certainly remember going to school with a lot of sewards

jomalomo

Offline BACHIO

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi im relative of Frederick John Seward married with Charlotte Chalker
i made tree in geni.com
good to have more information about the family to complete the Tree

https://www.geni.com/people/Frederick-John-Seward/6000000003649229014