Author Topic: Sexton at Glendermott Church of Ireland  (Read 2386 times)

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sexton at Glendermott Church of Ireland
« on: Tuesday 12 April 11 08:40 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me if there was a cottage associated with the job of sexton at Gelndermott Church. My gt grandfather William Livingston was sexton there sometime after 1911 & before 1936 when he died. I have an aerial photograph of the area from the Sentinal around the time the Altnagelvin hospital opened which was in a gt-uncle's photograph album and I wondered if any of the houses shown near the Glendermott church could have been their home. I know they lived in Spencer Rd  pre WW1 but am not sure about later.

Offline Romily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Sexton at Glendermott Church of Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 April 11 19:36 BST (UK) »
Assuming you are referring to Church of Ireland.  I don't go back that far but there is a house almost opposite where the sexton lived at the top of the slip road beside the church.
I also remember a family living in a house attached to  the Babington Hall which was and is (now changed).
If I come across anyone who knows, not in that area now, I will ask and get back to you.

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 April 11 01:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I do have a scan of the aerial photo but it is too big to post and I am not sure I have the software to downsize it. I will have to check out what I have on my older compueter which is not internet capable & follow the instructions on the old photo information post.
 :D
The Babington family is linked to my family through having a farm neighbouring the Dougherty faarm at Creevagh and I think that Bob Livingston, the gt-uncle whose album I have, worked as a mechanic for a Babington garage? That is how my grandparents are said to have met. Bobleft for the USA in the 1920s and only returned to Ireland when he retired. My grandfather was Oswald Livingston.

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 April 11 01:51 BST (UK) »
Forgot to say Yes I do mean the Church of Ireland though I also have an interest in the Prebyterian church through my Dougherty family of Coolkeeragh.

I am attempting to attache a photo of William Livingston standing at what looks to me like a church door. I think I also have photos of the family by the Babington Hall.