Author Topic: HELP! James Kerr, b Scotland, served in WW2  (Read 1571 times)

Offline vicsmoxey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HELP! James Kerr, b Scotland, served in WW2
« on: Friday 15 April 11 23:01 BST (UK) »
I am trying to identify a relative of mine who served in the Highland Light Infantry during around 2nd World War, we only know the following details;
Name: James (Jimmy) KERR
Born in Scotland between 1905-1910 (possibly in 1909, into family of crofters in Highlands)
Was stationed at Shoeburyness possibly during the war and also in Germany after the war.
Was a piper.
We have a couple of photographs of him in military uniform and with a regiment, it looks as though he is not a private, due to the different style of headwear to the others, possibly an army trainer? And also a couple of photos of him we think in Germany in army attire standing next to a VW beetle style car.
I know this is very little details but it is all we have, unfortunately we dont know if he is deceased or not either. Have also found out that he may have been in the same regiment before the war as David Niven and James Kerr was an engineer who worked on a building project on the Thames defences.

Would appreciate if anyone can help as its proving difficult to identify him without a date of birth.

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: HELP! James Kerr, b Scotland, served in WW2
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 April 11 09:35 BST (UK) »
Hi vicsmoxey

On Scotlandspeople between 1905 and 1910 there are 207 James Kerr births listed

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 April 11 11:37 BST (UK) »
Might be better posting in Armed Forces board

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,300.0.html

Offline Billy Anderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 11:31 BST (UK) »
I am trying to identify a relative of mine who served in the Highland Light Infantry during around 2nd World War, we only know the following details;
Name: James (Jimmy) KERR
Born in Scotland between 1905-1910 (possibly in 1909, into family of crofters in Highlands)
Was stationed at Shoeburyness possibly during the war and also in Germany after the war.
Was a piper.
We have a couple of photographs of him in military uniform and with a regiment, it looks as though he is not a private, due to the different style of headwear to the others, possibly an army trainer? And also a couple of photos of him we think in Germany in army attire standing next to a VW beetle style car.
I know this is very little details but it is all we have, unfortunately we dont know if he is deceased or not either. Have also found out that he may have been in the same regiment before the war as David Niven and James Kerr was an engineer who worked on a building project on the Thames defences.

Would appreciate if anyone can help as its proving difficult to identify him without a date of birth.

Hi vicsmoxey,
Welcome to RootsChat,
any chance you could include the photos,
Cheers,
Billy.
Anderson=Glasgow, Denny,Bathgate,Kilsyth.
=USA  Alameda,New York,Boston,Illinois.
Binning= Bathgate
Miller=Kilsyth
Black, McIntyre=Ise of Lismore
Donald=Enzie
MacDonald=Denny.
Lymburner=Denny
Wright=West Lothian
Greenhorn= Blantyre,LKS.