Author Topic: John & Margaret Sinclair - Scottish emigrants to Canada  (Read 4782 times)

Offline emlowe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John & Margaret Sinclair - Scottish emigrants to Canada
« on: Thursday 21 April 11 00:10 BST (UK) »
I'm doing some research into my ggrandfather John Sinclair and his wife Margaret.

John, Margaret and infant daughter Jessie? emigrated to Canada from Scotland in 1884.

John b. 10 Sep 1841 (according to Canada census records)
Margaret b. 3 Nov 1852
Jessie b. 10 Jun 1883 country of birth listed as Scotland

According to Canadian birth records from children they had in Canada - Margaret's maiden name was Sandison.

I found a marriage record with the following information (on SP)

1882 Marriages in the District of Kirkwall in the County of Orkney
25 Aug 1882
John Sinclair (farmer - bachelor) age: 35 - usual residence Tannach, Wick - parents William Sinclair (farmer - deceased) & Marjory Sinclair (maiden: Sinclair - deceased)
Maggie Sandison (spinster) age: 25? - usual residence: ??, Wick - parents Donald Sandison (farmer) & Janet Sandison (maiden: Miller?)

I believe this John Sinclair might have been born on 10 Sep 1841 (regardless of age given above). This 10 Sep 1841 John is listed on several Scottish Census in Caithness (along with parents and siblings) and on IGI

I cannot find any evidence of the birth of Jessie so far.

Based on this I feel it is possible that the John Sinclair who emigrated to Canada is the same person born in Caithness on 10 Sep 1841. I suppose I'm interesting in the combined wisdom of the group here.

I also found a John Sinclair, Margaret Sinclair and an infant daughter (transcribed as Janet) in the passenger lists for the ship Grecian departing Glasgow 1884-05-26 - arriving Montreal 1884-06-05 - names are transcribed as "Sinclair, jno" and "Sinclair, Mrg". The ages given are correct (42 and 31). The image is pretty really hard to read though

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: John & Margaret Sinclair - Scottish emigrants to Canada
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 April 11 01:11 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

This looks like him on the 1851 census for Wick - Caithness - all b Wick

William Sinclair 74 farmer of 20 acres
Marjory  52
Alexander 27
Margaret 21
William 19
Hellen   17
Henry  15
John  9
Parish Wick ED 7A Page 17 Line 7

There is an 1861 entry for an Elisabeth Sandison b 1852 Wick - parents Donald who was a farmer - and mother Janet.  Address was Barns Of Hempriggs

Donald Sandison 45 farmer 170 acres b Watten
Jannet   38 b Bower
Elisabeth   9 b Watten
Marcus   4 (transcribed as Marens) b Watten
Donald 3 b Watten
Peter 1 b Wick
Wick ED 4 Page 11 Line 4

But I also found this entry on the IGI

MARGARET SANDISON   Birth:  17 FEB 1864   Wick, Caithness   
Father:  DONALD SANDISON   Mother:  JANET MILLER 

This is the same family in 1871 in Wick - all b Caithness - address Hempriggs

Donald Sandison 60 b Watten farmer 170 acres
Janet  50 b Bower
Margaret 18 b Watten
Janet  16 b Watten
Marcus  14 b Watten
Donald  13 b Watten
Peter  11 b Wick
Anne M  9 b Wick
Margory  7 b Wick
Elizabeth Saylor 24 servant b Latheron
David Mckenzie 18   ditto
Wick ED 4 Page  28 Line 3
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 April 11 01:35 BST (UK) »
Just to muddy the waters!!

These are from the IGI - both are extracted entries

DONALD SANDISON     Spouse:  JANET MILLER   Marriage:  26 FEB 1849   Watten, Caithness 

DONALD SANDESON    Spouse:  JANNET MILLER   Marriage:  10 FEB 1849   Thurso, Caithness 
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline emlowe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 April 11 03:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information.

I guess when trying to track down people who leave the country one looks for "negative" facts - that is showing up in Scottish censuses (censii? ;-) after emigrated - or death records in the wrong country.

So far I haven't found anything in Scotland for this John Sinclair or Margaret Sandison after 1884. If anyone finds anything to suggest otherwise let me know. And the names and dates line up pretty well for this to be my John...

It would be nice to find the birth record of Jessie in Scotland but I've looked around pretty well and nothing matches so far.

The marriage certificate might say "Hempriggs" for the residence of Maggie - is posting the image here allowed?

Also, I know the "Sinclairs" are the "royalty" sort to speak of Caithness - but there are lots of Sinclairs that seem to have little or no link to any of the Earl's. Is there any connection to regular Sinclairs and the line of land owners / Earl's?

Thanks for reading...

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 April 11 10:51 BST (UK) »
is posting the image here allowed

Not the whole image - just that part of it needing clarification

From the IGI

WILLIAM SINCLAIR    Spouse:  MARJORY SINCLAIR    Marriage:  13 MAR 1818   Wick, Caithness 

Offline emlowe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 April 11 23:33 BST (UK) »
I complained about the image to ScotlandsPeople and they send me a new one within 24 hours that is much more readable. I guess one does get something for your money there.

It clearly lists Hempriggs as the residence for Maggie/Margaret and her age as 28.

I'm fairly sure this is the correct John/Margaret who went to Canada so I'll start digging into their families.