Author Topic: Family names - Dixey/Dixie/Dixi/Dixy.....Wedderspoon & Kennedy  (Read 2491 times)

Offline emmbit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family names - Dixey/Dixie/Dixi/Dixy.....Wedderspoon & Kennedy
« on: Monday 25 April 11 06:53 BST (UK) »
Hi there from a new member in New Zealand. I am hoping someone here can help me. I am at odds with my ancestors. My GG Grandfather John Dixie was born July 1817 in Perth. His parents William Dixie and Barbara Wedderspoon ( dau of William Wedderspoon, labourer in Perth), married 11 Jun 1794in Perth ( as per Parish records). William was a ferrier as part of the Queens Regiment of Dragoons at the time of his wedding. I can find no births for any siblings of Johns. Although possible Wm and Barbara had no children that I can trace until 1817, 23 years seems a long time.
It would appear that John did have an older sister Mary. We have a small family bible that was given to John ( it seems) when he joined the army in 1837. It basically said to follow God in all you do, love your loving sister Mary.
I do have the 1841 census for Perth. It shows one Barbara Dixey living S Mithven Street, aged 70.She said she was born in Perth. Also living with her was one William Kennedy aged 20, occ blacksmith app.( which his grandfather Wm Dixie was). Well I am assuming Barbara is his grandmother, and that Mary above married a Mr Kennedy. I cant find anything for either Mary Dixie/Dixey nor Mary Kennedy.
What I am looking for is anything for these families. I can find nothing of Barbara’s family, nor do I know of Johns siblings if he had any ( I am assuming Mary is his sister though). John joined the army in 1837 and came down under in the 1840s with the regiments. He eventually married Rachel Vincent ( another untraceable family) in Victoria Australia in May 1858. From there on through my Dixey line I can follow.
I was in Perth Christmas 2009 and was hoping to go to the church in his parish, which I was told was on Methven Street. Alas it is no longer in use and in quite a state, it needs lenty of repairs.
Anything would be great to help me
Thanks
Mark, Auckland New Zealand

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Family names - Dixey/Dixie/Dixi/Dixy.....Wedderspoon & Kennedy
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 April 11 10:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark

Given father William's occupation, it may be that the family moved around which is why you are having a problem finding siblings to John. Availability of parish records can vary enormously by parish. I did see this entry on IGI and wondered whether it could be John's sister Mary:

Mary DIXEY b. 3 AUG 1800 and chr. 7 SEP 1800 at Saint John, Preston, Lancashire, England
Parents: WM. DIXEY and BARBARA

English records did not record mother's maiden name on the index so hard to be certain it is the correct William and Barbara but a good possibility.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline emmbit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 April 11 23:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Monica, I hadnt even thought of them moving around...as Barbara was in perth 1841 I guess I assumed she / they were a stay put.....I'm pleased to maybe be wrong.

Offline rew

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 September 19 22:34 BST (UK) »
Hi I am also looking for Rachel  Vincent  john dixey is my great great grand father his youngest son James Thomas dixey is my great grand father his daughter Jessie Mavis is my grandma.  I have had no luck finding anything on Rachel  dixey any info would help thanks
WN