Author Topic: Harrowby House, Grantham  (Read 12173 times)

Offline Del 80

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my favourite jumper about 1976
    • View Profile
Re: Harrowby House, Grantham
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 17:45 BST (UK) »
Hi, Just googled the history of Grantham and Kesteven Girls School, and it mentions the Harrowby House building, so it looks like this was indeed the location, hope this helps, regards , Del. PS. Correction, should read Kesteven and Grantham Girls School. Del.
Clarke , Calvert , McCreadie,
 McDowell, Paton & Scott families,  Scotland
& Ireland, Ayto/Hayto/Eato/Eatough families, Lincolnshire.

Offline tup1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 20:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

Malcolm has checked his books and in 1927 & 1930 the Harrowby House which was next to where the Grantham Girls School is now was called "The Harrowby House Hostel" and was run by a Mr Reville.

Kathy

Offline Braindead

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Great Great Grandfather, William Cafferata
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 02 May 11 08:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information you've all given. It certainly seems that by the Girls School is where Harrowby House was.
"Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 02 May 11 17:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information you've all given. It certainly seems that by the Girls School is where Harrowby House was.

No.  :-\

There was no house on the old maps where the Girls' School is.  It is/was the house just to the south of the school.  Betcha ;)

I don't think an e-mail to the school to ask would cost you very much.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline tup1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 28 May 11 13:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have found further info in regards to Harrowby House plus  photo's in a booklet entitled "The Granta Kestevensis 1910-1960"Ref L.Gran 373 in Grantham Ref library.

The Kesteven & Grantham Girls School at the end of WW1 bought Harrowby House from the Earl Brownlow to be used as a boarding house for some of their pupils at the school.

The photo looks as if it was taken after the ivy etc was removed and the house improved.Before school used it?.The photo of the lawn looks very similar with the trees to the photo put on here by braindead.

Kathy

Offline midmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 10 July 11 23:04 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

came across this by accident. I was a pupil at KGGS and can confirm that Harrowby House was within the school grounds and used to be a boarding house. During my stay it was used for Home Economics ( cooking, sewing etc). It had retained many of its original features.

It was still there when I left in 1978 and seeing those pictures brought back many happy memories of my time there. Margaret Thatcher was also a pupil there and I can recall her visiting us. A lovely school.

It may be worth ringing the school and seeing if you could have a look around?

Midmum
Leics: Edlin, Isam, Wright, Wesson
Notts: Smith, Hughes.
Lancs: Dobbin, Rowlinson, Marr, Povall, Hall, Halliwell
Berks/ Sussex: Dearlove, Carter, Marchant.
census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Esteban

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 19 October 11 08:20 BST (UK) »
Who are the people in the photo - I have a copy of half this photo & would like to compare notes.

Offline laminto

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 21:01 BST (UK) »
I'm a current student at Kesteven and Grantham Girls' School. Harrowby House certainly is part of the school site, located on Sandon Road in Grantham. It was used as a regular house until it was bought by KGGS and around 20 girls boarded there. It's currently used predominantly by sixth form pupils with a common room, sixth form kitchen, psychology and further maths class rooms, computer rooms and staff offices. It can be seen on Google Street View at approximately 15 Sandon Road on the left of the school site.

Offline Sernicki

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 29 November 18 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I came across this forum whilst trying to find out about Harrowby House. I used to collect old things and have a postcard dated  1936 which was addressed to a miss ?????. Goodwin or goodison or something like that as it is in pencil and slightly faded. The card is from the mum and dad of this person. Just curious to see where my digging goes or stops. I hope I have attached the photo. Well I tried to attach the picture but got an error each time.