Author Topic: EDWARD PIPER, Lewicham KEN  (Read 2250 times)

Offline fionnghal

• RootsChat Member
  • "Cuimhnich air na daoine on tàinig thu."
    • View Profile
EDWARD PIPER, Lewicham KEN
« on: Monday 25 April 11 18:21 BST (UK) »
hi folks, I have an
EDWARD PIPER, s of EDWARD, b.c.1760-70 poss. c.1766 unproven but most likely Amport HAM where his siblings were christened.

When he settled in Lewisham i don't know; his wife was ELIZABETH

He had siblings JOHN, ELIZABETH, WILLIAM, SARAH

I've found no death or burial for either of them but know he definitely d. betw. 1828-32 a Lewisham resident

I've no occupation for him but by 1828, he was living at: 
7 Ordnance Row, Lewisham KEN.  The property adjoined the Ordnance Arms and though it sounds from the will that he owned the Ordnance Arms, but it isn't absolutely clear that he did.  However, his brother was involved with Inns, so perhaps it was a family trade so to speak. 

His will was proven in 1 Feb 1832.  It would appear he either had no kids or none survived him as he makes no mention of any in his will.  He does however, mention various relatives incl. SARAH HUNTER a niece; niece & nephews JOHN, THOMAS & MARY WOOD; great nieces SARAH & HARRIOT HUNTER.

Does anyone have access to any burial records that would help out with the above couple?  Does anyone realte to them at all?

thanks for your time and trouble

le durachd

Fionnghal
SCT SW Mc*Linden McSevney McMillan Riddick Martin Blackwood Hamilton
ABD Robertson Jackson Norrie
ANS Buik/ck Patrick Dick
DEV Jutsum Salter Northcott
FIF Lumsden Braid Lees Morice
HAM Piper Beavis Paskins Cole/s
KEN WIL Gatehouse Piper
LIN Flint
NBL Lumsden Davidson
NTH CAM Stokes
ROX Davidson Leck Halliwell Middlemis/t Turnbull
ENG SE LaRoche McGreal/Grail Beavis Clark/e Fitzmaurice Keens
YKS Appleyard Tyas Chester
IRE Mc*Linden McSevney McTeague Fitzmaurice McGrael
LOOK-UPS Carrbridge cem.

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: EDWARD PIPER, Lewicham KEN
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 April 11 21:07 BST (UK) »
There is no memorial inscription listed for Edward PIPER at St Mary's, Lewisham

http://www.kentarchaeology.org.uk/Research/Libr/MIs/MIsLewisham/01.htm
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fionnghal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 April 11 21:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you for looking Bearcat.  Somebody's been hard at work transcribing that lot.  It's the same church Edward's Hunter relatives were christened at I see, but i don't know if their Hunter forebears are related to those i spotted there. 

But no Pipers at all.   Just have to keep on searching

Thanks again   :)

le durachd

Fionnghal
ANS Buik/ck Patrick Dick
KEN WIL Gatehouse Piper
LIN Flint
NBL Lumsden Davidson
NTH CAM Stokes
ROX Davidson Leck Halliwell Middlemis/t Turnbull
ENG SE LaRoche McGreal/Grail Beavis Clark/e Fitzmaurice Keens
YKS Appleyard Tyas Chester
IRE Mc*Linden McSevney McTeague Fitzmaurice McGrael
LOOK-UPS Carrbridge cem.

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 19:01 BST (UK) »
Sarah Elizabeth HUNTER bp Lewisham 13 Apr 1823 dau of John Thomas and Sarah of La.e Kiln Lane, shipwright

Harriett Hester HUNTER bp Greenwich 20 Mar 1825 (born 22 Feb) dau of John Thomas and Sarah of Wood Wharf, shipwright

John Richard HUNTER bp 12 Oct 1834 Greenwich (born 14 Sep) son of John Thomas and Sarah of Bridge Street, shipwright

1841 Wood Wharf, Greenwich

Jn HUNTER 40 shipwright b.Kent
Sarah 40 b.Kent
Harriett 15 b.Kent
Mary 15 b.Kent
HO107/489 book 10 folio 29 page 11

1851 21 Wood Wharf, Greenwich

John Tho. HUNTER head mar 51 shipwright b.Greenwich
Sarah wife 50 b.Holborn Middlesex
John R son 18 b.Greenwich
Sarah A LEE servant unm 18 house servant b.Greenwich

HO107/1586 folio 39 page 18

26 Sep 1819 Lewisham St Mary

John Thomas HUNTER ba born Greenwich
Sarah WOOD sp born St Andrew Holborn
Wit:  Richard HUNTER, E M HUNTER, Elizabeth PIPER, Julia CROFT

I'm not quite sure yet which sister of Edward PIPER married a WOOD (parents of Sarah WOOD who married John Thomas HUNTER).

Is Elizabeth, wife of Edward PIPER, alive at the time of the writing and/or proving of his will?

Casalguidi :)

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fionnghal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 February 13 04:11 GMT (UK) »
hi folks, I'm back to working on this family again.  had to take a break suddenly because of my mum's deteriorating health.   thank you for all your kind assistance last time around :-)

Recently i managed to make a breakthrough with this family and am hoping now I'll make more progress.  A couple of wills later, i find the above EDWARD PIPER was buried in Hayes in Kent, rather than Lewisham, along with his brothers JOHN and WILLIAM. 

according to William's will in 1850, it seems they had a tomb of some description and were all conveyed there from where they were living when they died.  I don't know which cemetery unfortunately or indeed how many there are likely to be in Hayes.

EDWARD PIPER was buried in Hayes some time during 1831 early 1832 having died in Lewisham
JOHN d.3 January 1832 and was buried in Hayes having been conveyed there from Edinburgh in Scotland
WILLIAM died in Greenwich in 1850

We know John was carted all that way because William's will stipulates that he wishes to be buried with his 2 brothers.  Then i found this surprise in the York Herald:
"On Tuesday last, the remains of the late John Piper, Esq, many years the principal mail contractor, and formerly inspector of mails at this city passed through Northallerton, and proceeded via Boroughbridge, on its way for internment, at the place of his nativity in the county of Kent."  By the time he died, he was mail contractor in Edinburgh.

I can't speak for Edward's wife Elizabeth, but John left his wife to be buried on her own in Edinburgh!  As far as i've gleaned, William never married.

Kent appears to have had a great attraction to them.  I haven;t discovered why.  In spite of what the newspaper suggests re John being from Kent, he and his brothers were actually born in Hampshire.  However, it has occurred to me that perhaps their own dad was from Kent and maybe that is where the family originate.  Just a thought.

What I'm wondering is, has anyone got access to an index of burials or an MI record for Hayes, Kent, burials/ tombstones?   I've tried the Kent papers on a newspaper archives site but the Pipers don't show up in the BMD notices of those available unfortunately in fact, i couldn't find any papers anywhere posting the relevant notices except for John in the northern papers.

I'd be very grateful for any help you can offer.

thank you for your time and trouble

Fionnghal
ANS Buik/ck Patrick Dick
KEN WIL Gatehouse Piper
LIN Flint
NBL Lumsden Davidson
NTH CAM Stokes