Author Topic: 1841 census Bisham  (Read 2500 times)

Offline mortieau

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1841 census Bisham
« on: Sunday 24 April 05 18:05 BST (UK) »
I am looking for Lydia Tagg ( she was about 69) in the Bisham 1841 census. Was she born in Berkshire, and who was she living with in 1841?
Can anyone help

Thanks
John B

Offline HarryW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • G Grandfather - Albert Spencer 1861 - 1926
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census Bisham
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 April 05 13:52 BST (UK) »
From the 1841 census
HO107/11
Bisham Street

Lidia TAGG 70 not born in County
David SHAW 25 Ag Lab born in County
Hannah SHAW 20 born in County

Also found in Bisham (hopefully useful):
Address unreadable

Jonathan TAGG 35 Ag Lab
Ann TAGG 30
George TAGG 14
Stephen TAGG 12
Mary TAGG 10
William TAGG 8
Lydia TAGG 6
Jonathan TAGG 2
all born in County

Regards
Harry

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

My Interests:

Berkshire: Amor, Beard, Creed, Gale, Noakes, Pearmain, Spencer, White, Willis
Cornwall / Devon: Arscott, Coram, Cundy, Eastlake, Minedue, Reeve
Essex: Ager, Garrad, Linsell, Pearmain
Hampshire: Noakes
Norfolk: Fox, Spencer, Wilkins
Northumberland: Ager, Bell, Cundy, Gair, Robinson
Oxfordshire: Allmond, Beard, Burton, Cobb, Creed, Hilsdon, Nichols, Shurville
Wiltshire: Amor
Yorkshire: Bell, Fox

Offline mortieau

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 April 05 15:03 BST (UK) »
Dear Harry W,
This is great, many thanks for the the information.
Best
John B

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 April 05 11:12 BST (UK) »
Hi

I had this information from jillruss who is looking for Taggs in Berkshire, which might help

James Tagg, baptised 1775 in Watlington, Oxford ( only just over the county border) married Lydia Snowhouse who would have been born about 1772-4. They married in Pyrton, Oxfordshire in 1797.  She would then be Lydia Tagg and roughly 70 in 1841.  I seem to remember seeing a Lydia Tagg on the IGI as well.

I am also looking for Taggs, but I don't think there is a link with this branch - stuck on Thomas Tagg of Hurst born c 1786/96 later moved to Bagshot, Surrey.  His descendants moved to White Waltham, Berks and then to Ealing, Middx.

Gill

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline mortieau

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 April 05 01:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Gill,
I knew about James Tagg and Lydia Snowhouse, why I wanted the 1841 census is to see if perhaps she was from Berkshire as no one can seem to find her  baptism on any parish registers in Oxfordshire.
You mentioned you are looking for Thomas Tagg born Hurst and I see on the LDS site Taggs in the  18th century in Windsor . Even though the James I am following comes from Watlington , Oxon I wonder if there is a connection, why did James go to Bisham, was it because he had cousins nearby?
Any way thanks for your note.
Regards
John B

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 April 05 08:52 BST (UK) »
Funnily enough James is a name that occurs again and again in my tree - I would love to make a link to Bisham or indeed anywhere pre Thomas but it is proving difficult!

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline Jill Shaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 November 05 15:54 GMT (UK) »
I've just joined Rootschat and came across your mention of Lydia Snowhouse and James Tagg. I too am  unable to track Lydia down. I notice the name Chapman in your list. My grandmother was born Kate Chapman, in Bisham in 1879. If my research is correct, the maternal line  goes back through Clara Stroud, Fanny Frith and Susannah Tagg to Lydia Snowhouse.  Kate was brought up by her grandparents, Thomas  and Mary Jane (nee Ball), though her parents James and Clara went on to have several more children. Any connection?

Offline Carmela

• RootsChat Senior
  • Trixie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 November 05 10:47 GMT (UK) »
To Everyone looking for Lydia Snowhouse

It is doubtful that you will ever find a christening record for Lydia Snowhouse under that name because the surname,  "Snowhouse" never existed in England (or if it did, I can't find it anywhere I'd be very interested to know if anyone else has found it). I have gone through many books and websites on English surnames and I have just done a search of most of the major genealogy sites and Lydia is the only"Snowhouse"to be found anywhere. I became interested in this query because in many years of genealogical research, I have never seen the name, "Snowhouse".

I looked at the IGI entry and it was taken from Gibson's Oxfordshire Marriage Index (which does contain some errors), this was, I think, copied from Bishop's Transcripts, which were copied from the PRs. Lots of opportunity for errors. Of course, the vicar or parish clerk may have written the name incorrectly in the register.  I think it is possible that Lydia told the vicar her name was "Lydia Snow House" and since Lydia was not "of the parish" the vicar was not familiar with her name and wrote it as one word instead of two. A mistake in the parish register or the Bishop's  Transcripts, may be the most likely explanation as some of the information in online family trees seems to have been obtained from more detailed sources than Gibson's ( e.g. Lydia was "of Britwell Salome") .

Snow and House are both fairly common names in Oxfordshire and it is quite possible that Lydia's surname was House and perhaps her mother or grandmother was a Snow and so the middle name.It is also possible that she was illegitimate and her father was a Snow, as giving a child the father's surname as a middle name was common.

I would suggest that anyone trying to find Lydia's baptism record might start by looking at the original (or fiche/film) of that Pyrton marriage record (or have a reliable researcher do it) to make sure that the name is not the usual sort of mistranscription and really should be "Snodgrass" ;D. If it is "Snowhouse" or "Snow House", then search for baptism record of Lydia Snow House or Lydia House or even "Lydia Snow" (if illegitimate this is a possibility). This is probably a rather disheartening prospect, for it means searching again through all those records which you have already searched for Snowhouse, but I think it is the only way.
Of course this is only my opinion, but I thought I should offer it for consideration.

Good luck and I'd love to hear how you get on.

Carmela

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationararchives.gov.uk

Current obsessions:
OXF: Rose of Wheatley and Holton 1700s
BRK: Stevenson of East Hanney 1600-1880s
BKM: Woodman of Wing
DEV: Youlden of Whimple
SOM: Smith, Gudge, Joy and Tett of Crewkerne

Offline Jill Shaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 November 05 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Carmela, that's very helpful. I'll let you know what I find.
Jill