Author Topic: charles wright  (Read 8680 times)

Offline footymum

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
charles wright
« on: Tuesday 12 April 11 16:31 BST (UK) »
Trying to find more information on my great uncle. Charles wright, from the kings own royal Lancaster regiment. He was in WW1 and unfortunately killed in action. Have been trying to find out more details, of his life in the service, where he fought?????
Have found one grave on the war graves commission for C Wright, service number 34368. Buried Madras (st Marys) Cemetery Chennai.?????No other information, can anybody help in furthering my search. I would be very grateful

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Kings own royal lancaster regiment
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 April 11 16:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,,when and where was he born?  how do you know what regiment he was in?  what is your source for that info ? ;)
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline footymum

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 April 11 18:25 BST (UK) »
Unsure of where he was born or lived. I have a regimental handkerchief of his, that i sent photographs of to The Kings Own Museum. They identified it as The Kings Own Royal Lancaster Regiment.
All I know is my Great Aunt visited his parents in shoeburyness after his death.
Very limited information, My Great Aunt did leave a diary, but my elderly aunt is having trouble finding it. But im determined to track him down.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 April 11 18:51 BST (UK) »
the one you found

Name: Charles Wright
Birth Place: Hackney, London
Death Date: 7 Nov 1917
Death Location: Mesopotamia
Enlistment Location: Leighton Buzzard
Regiment: King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment)
Battalion: 6th Battalion
Number: 34368
Type of Casualty: Died
Theatre of War: Asiatic Theatres
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 April 11 18:56 BST (UK) »
the medal card for this Charles Wright shows he first joined the 1st Bedfordshire regiment  number 6931,,,then the Border regiment number 21036,,,then the K.O.R. Lancaster regiment number 34368
he was entitled to the British,Victory medals and 1914 star.  his entry into theatre gives the date of 12/9/1914.

Offline footymum

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 April 11 19:32 BST (UK) »
Thankyou so much for all your help i really appreciate it.
One more thing that im trying to find out is:-
My Great Aunt lived in Little Clacton, near Clacton on sea Essex.
Where would she had met him, were any of these regiments based around this area Colchester, Weeley, Shoeburyness?
Thankyou again

Offline footymum

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
charles wright
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 April 11 22:30 BST (UK) »
Does any know if
The Kings own Royal Lancaster Regiment
1st Bedfordshire Regiment or
The Border Regiment
were based before or during WW1 in Essex
My Great Aunt lived in Little Clacton, near Clacton on sea Essex, would like to know how she met my Great Uncle.
Know there was barracks in Colchester, Weeley and Shoeburyness, not sure of any more. But dont know if these regiments were resident there at all
Thankyou

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: where regiments based?
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 April 11 22:40 BST (UK) »
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline footymum

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
charles wright
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 April 11 17:01 BST (UK) »
Have found a possible war grave for my Great Uncle Charles Wright, from Kings Own Royal Lancaster Regiment. His Death Location was Mesopotamia. Type of Casualty was Died.
Has anyone got any information on Madras (st Marys) Cemetery Chennai. I would like to be able to view his war grave, are there photos of each grave?
Because it was just put down that he died, is there anyway i could find out if he was in a field hospital for malaria ( or another illness). As it doesnt say killed in action. Cant find a death certificate??.
He died 7th November 1917.
Thankyou