Author Topic: Captain Alexander Storm, Tayport  (Read 24364 times)

Offline jenc

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Captain Alexander Storm, Tayport
« on: Thursday 28 April 11 14:39 BST (UK) »
Trying to find out as much info as I can about a certain Alexander Storm, son of James Storm and Janet Smith, born 13th March 1832 in Findhorn, Morayshire.
 He was a shipmaster, his death cert of 1901 shows he married twice, 1st to Elizabeth Grassie in Greenock 1862 they had several children and she died in 1885.  The second wife's name is I think, Ann Hay (can't find a marriage certificate for them)
He died in Gartnaval Asylum, but his usual residence is given as The Anchorage, Tayport.
The reason for my interest is, he is buried in Tayport next to my grandparents grave.  A close family member is buried in the 'Storm' grave and the story goes that he was a friend of my grandmother's family (Gourlay, Brown or Berrie)and our family have the deeds to the plot.
I am wondering how he came to live in Tayport in his later life and also where The Anchorage is situated in Tayport.  Tried Google Earth, but no luck.
Incidentally my grandmother's father, Peter Brown was the first cemetery superintendant of Tayport Cemetery, my grandmother was born in the Cemetery Lodge in 1889 and the family plot is just yards from the Lodge!
Hoping some of my fellow Rootschatters can come up with some info
Jenc
Kincardineshire - Beattie Dickson Tavendale Donaldson Whyte Wishart
Forfar - Adam Grindlay Easson Fyffe Livestone Wilson Fairweather Boath
Fife - Berry Brown Keith Kirkcaldy Walton Johnstone Gourlay Robb Robertson Pattie Stevenson Taylor
Glasgow - Fitzgerald, Campbell, McInnis, Sheriff, (Smith, Chambers.) maybe Ireland
Angus - Saunders, McGregor Richardson  Moore.
Inverness-shire - McLean (I hope)

Offline shanghaipanda

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Captain Alexander Storm, Tayport
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 22:08 BST (UK) »
Happened to spot your Captain Storm whilst looking for an ancestor of my own - don't know if this is info you already have. No mention of "Anchorage" in an address in the Tayport section of the directory. 

Captain Storm, shipmaster, Albert Street, Tayport -  Dundee Directory 1890 - 1891

Alexander Storm, shipmaster, 5 Battenberg Tce, Tayport - Dundee Directory 1899 - 1900

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 22:38 BST (UK) »
The Liverpool Mercury, Saturday, November 26, 1887
MARRIAGES
Storm - Hay - Nov 9, by special licence, at the Church of the Advent, Boston, by the Rev Francis Sherman, Alexander Storm of Burghead, Scotland to Ann, second daughter of the late James Hay, of this city, formerly of Aberdeen

regards

Offline jenc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 10:58 BST (UK) »
Hi there
Thank you both for that very helpful information
Captain Alex apparently brought Ann back to Scotland as I found her death certificate from 1923.
  After Captain Alex died in January 1901, she married a ship's carpenter called Joseph Falconer on the 13th May, 1903, Garmouth, Morayshire. She was 61 and he was 53.
Ann was 80 when she died at Kingston, Garmouth, Morayshire on the 9th October, 1923. Her husband was the informant on the certificate.

Battenberg Terrace, seemingly, was re-named Albert Street , so I guess 5 Battenberg Terrace was ' The Anchorage ' in 1900.

Incidentally, shanghaipanda....this might help in your Storm family research.  I found this on the 1891 census -

Plymouth Charles - Vessel  'Janet Storm '

Alexander Storm   29, captain (master) place of birth   Scotland  Findhorn
George Wood       42, mate                            "             Scotland  Banff
David Young         44, crew, a b seaman        "             Scotland  Leith   
John Jeffrey          18, crew  o.s. seaman       "             Scotland  Findhorn 
William Smith        23, crew  cook & o.s.         "             Scotland  Findhorn.

The 'Janet Storm' was built on Speyside for a James Storm who was a banker in Glasgow.
Sadly she went down with all hands off the Bellrock about a year later.

I'm still trying to find the connection between my family and the Storms, maybe someday.

Cheers both
Jenc

Fife - Berry Brown Keith Kirkcaldy Walton Johnstone Gourlay Robb Robertson Pattie Stevenson Taylor
Glasgow - Fitzgerald, Campbell, McInnis, Sheriff, (Smith, Chambers.) maybe Ireland

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 11:47 BST (UK) »
Jenc,
Had spotted the sinking of the "Janet Storm" and wondered about the possible 2 Captains Storm, Findhorn.

Aberdeen Weekly Journal Mon Nov 28 1892
SHIPPING CASUALTIES - THE MISSING VESSEL JANET STORM

All hope of the Janet Storm, which left Hartlepool for Fraserburgh with coal some 6 weeks ago, has been given up. The vessel belonged to Mr John Storm, Glasgow, and was under the charge of his brother, Captain Alexander Storm, belonging to Findhorn, where he left his young wife and child......

Had wondered if this was the Captain Storm that Ann Hay might have married - but you have resolved that.

regards

Offline jenc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 13:06 BST (UK) »
Glad to have helped with that....but I got the banker's name wrong  oops. yes it should have been John Storm, not James.
I imagine all those seafaring Storms from Findhorn are all possibly related in some way.
Regards from Jenc

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 15:42 BST (UK) »
I wonder if there is a connection to the writer Storm Jameson - the first female president of English PEN - who was born in Whitby in 1891 to William Storm Jameson, shipbuilder, and Hannah Galilee. As the name Jameson/Jamieson is Scottish, this family may have originated in Scotland, just as Captain Cook of Whitby was the son of parents from Roxburghshire.

Harry

Offline Big-toshie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 August 11 15:35 BST (UK) »
Have a look at this
http://www.tayport.org.uk/photo.php?id=181&theme=Other

I live in Tayport (but not born and bred). I'll try and find out if anyone knows which house was the The Anchorage.

Bob

MacKintosh, MacIntosh, McIntosh, MacLean, Campbell, Clunas, Winchester, McLennan, McVittie, Fairlee, Queen, Oliver, Longstaff, Broderick, Hardy, Jones, Dart, Hext

Offline jenc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 August 11 12:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob
Thank you for that link.
I had a look to compare it with modern day Albert Street on Google streetview and that first house on the right has a nameplate beside the front door, it's out of focus, but it looks like ' The ......  ' might be The Anchorage but just too blurred to confirm.
Regards from Jen