Author Topic: DNA testing - genetic genealogy  (Read 60315 times)

Offline Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: DNA testing - genetic genealogy
« Reply #126 on: Monday 22 November 10 14:09 GMT (UK) »
So as a female, I've not a cat in hell's chance of finding whereabouts in the world my paternal g.grandfather originated.  Oh well, that's another avenue closed for me.

Would the new "Family Finder" test be of any use to you? www.familytreedna.com/Default.aspx

I haven't got my head round this test yet.  Maybe someone else could give an explanation?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
  • And he's still just as cute!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Monday 22 November 10 15:23 GMT (UK) »
So as a female, I've not a cat in hell's chance of finding whereabouts in the world my paternal g.grandfather originated.  Oh well, that's another avenue closed for me.

Would the new "Family Finder" test be of any use to you? www.familytreedna.com/Default.aspx

I haven't got my head round this test yet.  Maybe someone else could give an explanation?
I am living in the UK and that one is in the USA. I would like a laboratory in the UK.
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
FLETCHER – Louth (District), Lincolnshire
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline NJK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Monday 22 November 10 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Lizzie,

The Family Finder test looks at your autosomal DNA as opposed to Y-DNA or MT-DNA.  Here is a link to a page on our Phillips DNA website that tries to explain autosomal DNA:

http://www.phillipsdnaproject.com/faq-sections/27-dna-questions-faqs/316-atdna-in-depth

Robert,

I don't believe there are any labs in the UK that are offering autosomal DNA tests to the general public, but there are several that offer the Y-DNA and MT-DNA tests.  One of them is Oxford Ancestors at this link:

http://www.oxfordancestors.com/

However, I feel duty bound to point out that it costs 180 pounds for a 15 marker Y-DNA test at Oxford Ancestors, whereas a 37 marker Y-DNA test at Family Tree DNA (an American company) only costs 95 pounds.

Perhaps Debbie Kennett, who is a Brit, can give you some more insights.

Sincerely,
Nancy Kiser
Colorado, USA

Offline Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Monday 22 November 10 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that link, NJK.  I think I understand it now.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DevonCruwys

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Monday 22 November 10 21:25 GMT (UK) »
There are lots of pages on the ISOGG Wiki on autosomal DNA starting with this page:

http://www.isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_DNA

23andMe and Family Tree DNA are the only two companies which offer the autosomal DNA tests at present. FTDNA do have an affiliate in the UK, DNA Worldwide, but it is much more expensive to order the tests from them and the kits still have to go to America to be processed anyway:

http://www.dna-worldwide.com

FTDNA do come over to England once a year for the Who do you think you are? Live show at Olympia in London.

Both 23andMe and Family Tree DNA provide an admixture analysis with their respective Relative Finder and Family Finder tests. This would give you an ethnic breakdown and if there were any Indian ancestry in recent generations it should be detected. Other companies use autosomal X-STRs for admixture analysis but they only use 13 markers and the results are very unreliable.
Researching: Ayshford, Berryman, Bodger, Boundy, Cruse, Cruwys, Dillon, Faithfull, Kennett, Keynes, Ratty, Tidbury, Trask, Westcott, Wiggins, Woolfenden.

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
  • And he's still just as cute!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Monday 22 November 10 21:28 GMT (UK) »
My concerned after doing much reading on this is is finding a reputable laboratory and not a broker. The Oxford site does not look like a laboratory to me.
Most laboratories will offer services on their web pages other than genealogy. I think that a laboratory in Scotland was mentioned on Tracing your roots (BBC)' sometime ago. I might ask for The Royal College of Pathologists for a list of their members that do DNA Genealogy. That way I would feel more comfortable. Put it this way I would sooner pay £200 than £100 to get good results.
Robert...
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
FLETCHER – Louth (District), Lincolnshire
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Tuesday 23 November 10 01:35 GMT (UK) »
Robert,

Oxford Ancestors certainly is a laboratory.  It was founded by Bryan Sykes who a professor of Human Genetics at Oxford U, and some of his colleagues.  He has done much of the groundbreaking research on British Isles genetic genealogy.  Check out his publications list.

See also this link:  http://www.duerinck.com/dnalabs.html

Most of the testing done in the US is done at University of Arizona Research Labs and one other site.  I think that you are limiting your options by insisting on 1) a British lab, and 2) not using a so-called middleman like Family Tree DNA.  The middlemen often give you a lot more detailed deciphering of your results than the specific testing lab could afford to do.

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Offline Tisy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Tuesday 23 November 10 01:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robert,

Here is another link you may like to read before deciding -

http://www.dna-testing-adviser.com/index.html

Cheers,

Carol

Offline DevonCruwys

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: Tuesday 23 November 10 01:44 GMT (UK) »
Robert

The only laboratories that do genetic genealogy tests are:

- Family Tree DNA, who do some testing at their Genomics Centre in Houston and some in their labs at the University of Arizona

- Sorenson Genomics, who do the tests for DNA Heritage and Ancestry

- Oxford Ancestors, who have their own lab in Oxford

- Ethnoancestry, based in Scotland, who have their testing done at the University of London and some testing done at Marligen

I suspect the Scottish lab you mention was Ethnoancestry. There was also another British company called Family Genetics based in Manchester who went into liquidation earlier this year. All the labs mentioned above are reputable. Unfortunately the two British companies offer a limited range of tests, have very high prices and no facilities for project management. Family Tree DNA are the market leaders. I use them for all my projects and have been very happy with their services. I have not had any problems sending kits to America, and have no qualms about using an American testing company.
Researching: Ayshford, Berryman, Bodger, Boundy, Cruse, Cruwys, Dillon, Faithfull, Kennett, Keynes, Ratty, Tidbury, Trask, Westcott, Wiggins, Woolfenden.