Author Topic: DNA testing - genetic genealogy  (Read 60311 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: DNA testing - genetic genealogy
« Reply #189 on: Saturday 08 January 11 19:15 GMT (UK) »
If you can go back in the direct male line, and then forwards again to find a living descendant still in the male line, it might be possible.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline paul1801

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: Saturday 08 January 11 19:43 GMT (UK) »

Hi all, just thought I would add my thoughts to the discussion about DNA testing,
I have had a Y67 test done, My MTDNA 1+2 regions tested and have also had the family finder test done.
I have found it very useful knowing the origins of my deep ancestry something which I personally find facinating. The family finder test is relatively new, this can identify up to 4th cousins in your tree although this can be challenging as the link can be either maternal or paternal.
I have to date three maternal matches (within the last 700 years) we have the same mother according to the genetics, one match in USA, one in Norway and my own in Ireland, these all fit with a possible migration pattern of my ancestors.
My Y testing has no exact matches at the moment so its a case of waiting to see if anyone in the future matches.
If anyone wants to discuss any of these just drop me a line.

Paul
Cutler Derbyshire, Co Durham
Halladay, Durham
Reed, Newcastle, Durham
Mellon/Millon, Ireland, Durham
Dunn, Ireland, Durham
Brett, Ireland, Durham

Offline DevonCruwys

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: Monday 07 February 11 13:17 GMT (UK) »
If anyone is interesting in learning more about how DNA testing works I would suggest you come along to "Who do you think you are? Live" in London at the end of February. There is a DNA workshop and a number of DNA talks scheduled both within the DNA workshop programme and the SOG workshop programme.

DNA test kits are usually on sale at a reduced price throughout the show and there are rumours that Family Tree DNA will be launching a new 110-marker Y-DNA test at the show this year.

The workshop programmes can be seen here:

http://www.whodoyouthinkyouarelive.co.uk/the-event

If you have any questions on DNA testing do come along to the ISOGG (International Society of Genetic Genealogy) stand no. 430 near the DNA workshop area.  ISOGG members will be on hand to answer any questions visitors might have.

Debbie
Researching: Ayshford, Berryman, Bodger, Boundy, Cruse, Cruwys, Dillon, Faithfull, Kennett, Keynes, Ratty, Tidbury, Trask, Westcott, Wiggins, Woolfenden.

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: Monday 07 February 11 14:53 GMT (UK) »
  So there is hope for me yet.!

same boat. no surviving males. this is a fourth angle to add to my other three possibilities for finding my relatives family.

marcie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: Monday 07 February 11 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information Debbie, Looks as though i shall get my DNA tested tyhis time.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 01:48 GMT (UK) »
I would advise anyone of going beyond a 37 marker Y DNA test unless they do the research to learn what additional benefit might accrue.  From what I have seen, the extra expenditure for the 67 marker test results in an infinitesimal increase in probabilities for matches being related.    A match of 36/37 markers has essentially the same probabilities as a match of 66/67 markers.  Ask yourself if the significant cost difference is worth it.  I haven't seen the probabilities for success relating to the possible 110 marker test.

I do support DNA testing for genealogy, but feel one has to retain a healthy skepticism of how helpful current testing might be for you.

Nick

McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Offline DevonCruwys

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Nick

You're quite right and for most people a 37-marker test is all that is needed to establish whether or not you match with other people who share the same surname.  If however someone is looking to match other surnames (eg, when looking for a match for an illegitimate line) then it is very helpful to upgrade to 67 markers to see which surnames are worth investigating. With the more common haplogroups (R1b1b2 and I1) people can sometimes have lots of matches with different surnames at 37 markers, though in most cases these won't be worth investigating as there will be no chance of finding the genealogical link.

At one extreme I have a project member who has literally hundreds of matches at 37 markers. At 67 markers he still has over 200 matches with a variety of surnames. He is a match with the prolific Niall of the Nine Hostages signature:

http://www.familytreedna.com/faq/answers/default.aspx?faqid=9#409

At the other extreme there are people who don't have a single match at all, not even at 12 markers.

If people are interested in exploring their deep ancestry within haplogroup projects then 67 markers can also be very useful as it will enable the project manager to date the ages of the subclades more accurately and you will have a better idea as to which surnames you are closest to.

It really all depends on your motivation for testing.

Debbie
Researching: Ayshford, Berryman, Bodger, Boundy, Cruse, Cruwys, Dillon, Faithfull, Kennett, Keynes, Ratty, Tidbury, Trask, Westcott, Wiggins, Woolfenden.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: Thursday 10 February 11 18:20 GMT (UK) »
So a male who is sure there is illegitimacy in his ancestry 4-5 generations ago in his male line would be recommended to take a 67 marker test in preference to a 37?

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: Thursday 10 February 11 20:03 GMT (UK) »
But what I dont get here is the Y tests all go down the male line and if there is illigitimacy they will tell you that after generation x you cannot be related but how does that then transform into but you can be related to that SMITH branch there and oh yes not to forget the JONES line there.  This also goes aganst everything I had heard from other testing groups so someone somewhere is spinning a few lines
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP