Author Topic: Whyte Family in Clones.  (Read 17622 times)

Offline AprilAllen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Whyte Family in Clones.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 29 April 11 23:02 BST (UK) »
Hey everyone, I recently started my family research.  It's quite confusing and frustrating!
I'm trying to find Whytes in Clones.  This is all the info I have for now.  If anyone could steer me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.   I am planning a trip to Ireland in Feb, I'm hoping to find some family there.

My great mother Elizabeth Whyte was born 8, July 1893 in clones

Her mothers name was Mary Whyte, I dont have a birth date for her,  but she did live on Alnore Street in Clones.

Elizabeth Whyte married James Allen (whose parents were James Allen and Catherine Mckenna)

Had three child , (*) 1923 in clones
                          (*) 1922 in Blantyre, Scotland
                          (*) 1920 in Blantyre, Scotland.

Last permeant address was in Hamilton, Scotland

They sailed out of Glasgow 19, September 1930 on the ship Cameronia.

If this is not the proper place to ask this, please let me know, as I do not want to offend.  Thank you!

(*) Moderator's Comment: recent details removed as these children might still be alive

opps was I not supposed to put names?  William is my grandfather, he is in fact dead.  And so are the others.

Offline Enfaoi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 15 October 11 01:33 BST (UK) »
Hello AprilAllen, looks like Elizabeth Whyte born 8th July 1893 was my Grandfather's (William Henry) sister.

Offline AprilAllen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 15 October 11 04:44 BST (UK) »
Hello, thank you for your reply!  I'm not sure what my original message was but Elizabeth is my great grandmother.  Do you any information on them?  I have photos of her and her father.  Please give me any info you can as Im trying to research that part of the family now.  Thank you much!

April

Offline Enfaoi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 15 October 11 13:12 BST (UK) »
Hello, this is very interesting because we did not know anything about the wider family. So your Great Grandmother would have been my Grand Aunt. It seems that the Whytes scattered far and wide away from Ireland very early on. Though William Henry (your Great Grand Uncle) lived in Clones until his death in 1945. Only one of Elizabeth's nephews (now deceased) lived all his life with his own family in Clones.  I think I might be able to pick up a few threads for you.

Offline AprilAllen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 03:44 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth had lived in Scotland with her husband James Allen.  She had two children in the glasgow area and then she had my grandfather in Clones in 1923.

She, along with her children immigrated to the states in 1930 out of Glasgow.  Ship manifest has her mothers information as nearest relative.

Mary Whyte
Alnore Street
Clones, Ireland.

I believe they spelled the name of the street wrong.

Off the boat, they lived in Madison New Jersey.

Offline AprilAllen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 03:45 BST (UK) »
A side note.  A lot of the Allens had lived in the glasgow area and worked in the mines there.

Offline clonesgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 19 October 11 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hi

Yes, you're correct about the misspelling of the street name.  It should be Analore St.  You'll find an old pic of it here.

http://www.emerald-isle-gifts.com/vintage-irish-town-prints/monaghan-vintage-photographs/analore---monaghan---street-scene.asp

Mary Whyte
Alnore Street
Clones, Ireland.

Offline AprilAllen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 19 October 11 23:11 BST (UK) »
Hi

Yes, you're correct about the misspelling of the street name.  It should be Analore St.  You'll find an old pic of it here.

http://www.emerald-isle-gifts.com/vintage-irish-town-prints/monaghan-vintage-photographs/analore---monaghan---street-scene.asp

Mary Whyte
Alnore Street
Clones, Ireland.

Oh this is lovely, thank you!  I am looking forward to my visit to Clones In February !

Offline clonesgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 20 October 11 00:16 BST (UK) »
Clones in February?  You'll find it very, very cold.  And I hope you'll be driving as it's very hilly too.  All the roads leading from The Diamond are steep hills going down.  I grew up down Cara St myself.  I have a map of Clones showing Analore St.  If you'd like a copy PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.