Author Topic: COMPLETED change 64 bit back to 32 bit?  (Read 2655 times)

Offline SUSANHORTON

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
COMPLETED change 64 bit back to 32 bit?
« on: Saturday 30 April 11 00:31 BST (UK) »
I want to look at google street view up and down the roads etc. As trying to identify a road a photo was taken in.

I have discovered that I can't  do this on my computer, reason being it has a 64 bit set up rather than a 32 (what ever that means?). How it happened I don't know, just internet explorer stopped working one day and when I got it to work again (don't know how), it was now a 64 bit system. The consequence of this is some things don't work with it including the street view on Google maps.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Sue
Halls, Horton, Wills, Quilter, Alvares/z Riley,

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: change 64 bit back to 32 bit?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 April 11 08:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue

Would you tell us ............

Win7, Vista, XP?
Service pack level?
Version of IntExp?

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 April 11 08:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue

The main technical difference between a 32-bit operating system and a 64-bit version is that the latter can access more memory. You can check what sort you have by going into Control Panel, then system. I have 64-bit and can use Street View without any problems. If your operating system is 32-bit you should not load a 64-bit version of any software. If no ?-bit is quoted you can assume it will work with either.

I suspect it is more likely to be a problem with the internet browser you are using. Have you changed this recently? You need to post the make and version you use. If it is Microsoft's Internet Explorer you can go to Tools and then 'About Internet Explorer'. If you have IE9 you need to click on the white cog symbol, top right.

Added...if you have IE9 on XP it will not work, and you need to go back to IE8.

Ken

Offline SUSANHORTON

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 April 11 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Ken,
Thanks for that will look into what you have said over the next few days and post my findings.
Thank you
Sue

Offline falcybe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 April 11 21:28 BST (UK) »
It is not your computer but your browser which is causing your problems.

when I bought my current laptop, windows 7 64 bit it came with 2 internet explorer browsers, a 64 bit one and a 32 bit browser. I soon found out why when flash would not work with the 64 bit browser, and it still doesn't.

Click on "start", "all programmes" and you should see both versions. I have copied them to a more convenient place so I can use either one according to what I want to do. Most of the time I use the 32 bit Internet Explorer so I can still use sites that require Flash

cheers, falcybe
ps: google street view uses flash
pps: IE 8 and IE 9 have the same problem so it doesn't matter which you have installed
Hayden Cowan Weir Jowett Barclay Howard Gooch Joiner Rayner Ash Travers Coltman Samuel Falconer Lacey Croton Clarke Robinson Alden Burroughs
Ford Lusty Jones Wice Wise Scorey Rayner Harding Bacon Chambers and lots more
Click on the little house on the left to go to our site

Offline SUSANHORTON

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 May 11 08:11 BST (UK) »
Gave the 32 bit internet explorer a try but it is just not working.

This is the error message I get when I try. It tells me internet explorer is not working, then, "A problem caused the programme to stop working correctly. Windows will close the programme and notify you if a solutionis available".

I am using Windows 7[ also how do I check which version of internet explorer I'm using and how to I check the pack

Sue

Offline Midase

• RootsChat User
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 May 11 19:03 BST (UK) »
Internet Explorer - click on Help, at the bottom click on About Internet Explorer. This will tell you the version.

But I would forget IE and go get yourself Firefox.

Offline SUSANHORTON

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 May 11 19:59 BST (UK) »
I updated my Firefox and the updated version allowed me to download Adobe Flash player. Hooray, thanks for the Firefox tip, now I can use Google street view. Hooray
Thanks everyone for your help

Sue

Offline falcybe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED change 64 bit back to 32 bit?
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 May 11 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Susan

I am using Windows 7[ also how do I check which version of internet explorer I'm using
Well, as you Gave the 32 bit internet explorer a try, you knew what you were using then :-)

This is all a bit of a minefield and I hope that IE gets it sorted out in the very near future.

cheers, falcybe
Hayden Cowan Weir Jowett Barclay Howard Gooch Joiner Rayner Ash Travers Coltman Samuel Falconer Lacey Croton Clarke Robinson Alden Burroughs
Ford Lusty Jones Wice Wise Scorey Rayner Harding Bacon Chambers and lots more
Click on the little house on the left to go to our site