Author Topic: Gayton Coat of Arms & Crest  (Read 6230 times)

Offline genealogistsykes

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Gayton Coat of Arms & Crest
« on: Sunday 01 May 11 19:03 BST (UK) »
This is the transcript off my family tree that i had great difficulty with reading:
This is the coat of arms transcript;
Sable 3 pilgrims staves 2 in saltaire 1 in pale bound with a ribband argent quatering emmile a lion rampant.

Crest transcript:
An antelopes head erased collared with a ducal crown - over the head a scroll with the motto: PER PARIOS CASUS.

Can someone please find it for me please.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Gayton Coat of Arms & Crest
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 May 11 23:32 BST (UK) »
Coats of Arms of course belong to an individual and his descendants rather than a surname.  I cannot locate this particular coat of arms from its blazon (the description you transcribed), the crest or motto.  Can you help by telling us which member of your family was granted this coat of arms?

It is of course possible to reproduce a coat of arms from its blazon which is a strict definition.  Can you check the last five words please which seem to be incorrect with possibly a colour missing. Similarly the crest has no colour specified.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline genealogistsykes

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 May 11 10:03 BST (UK) »
I am not sure who was granted the coat of arms, all i know is that it was on the family tree below the tree of gayton.

I think what i've put as Emmile is 'Ermine'

Westrope arms: Also party perpale agure and argent a chevron between three lions rampant all counter changed.

The crest does not have a colour stated, what ever i have wrote about the crest is correct as it's clear enough to write out and read.

All of this i have taken off my family tree.

The arms could of GAYTON could of been granted to ADMIRAL CLARK GAYTON (b.1712 - d.1785)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 May 11 14:15 BST (UK) »
I can't find any evidence that Admiral Clark Gayton had a coat of arms.  Assuming that quatering should actually be quartering then we seem to have a lion rampant of unknown colour on some form of ermine background in the second and fourth quarters.  Variations in the word ermine show different colour combinations.  The other two quarters are black with  three silver staffs, one vertical and the other two forming a saltire tied with a silver ribbon.  I am not sure of the significance of them being pilgrims' staffs, but presumably this describes them more precisely.

You quote a second blazon in your latest reply,  Did you expect that to be relevant to the first coat of arms in any way?
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor

Offline genealogistsykes

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 May 11 14:22 BST (UK) »
Ahh i see, and no that's just another coat of arms which was on my family tree. I don't think the arms was granted to Admiral Gayton.

This is what it says in his will about his arms and crest:

I give and bequeath unto my dear Wife the Picture of herself and my Seal with the Arms of her own familly Legge and my own arms ...... 'Item I give unto my said Son . . . my Gold Watch and Chain and three Seals thereto belonging one having the arms of my late dear wife's ffamily (Rawlings) and my own another my Cypher and the other my Crest.

Offline davidbappleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 May 11 22:49 BST (UK) »
This is the transcript off my family tree that i had great difficulty with reading:
This is the coat of arms transcript;
Sable 3 pilgrims staves 2 in saltaire 1 in pale bound with a ribband argent quatering emmile a lion rampant.

According to Papworth's Ordinary of British Armorials, the arms Sable three pilgrim's staves one in pale and two in saltire argent tied together in the midst or belongs to Garton, with an "r" instead of a "y".

David

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 May 11 09:38 BST (UK) »
That is interesting because the crest with a red antelope's head and a gold ducal crown also belonged to a Garton.

Offline genealogistsykes

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 May 11 18:58 BST (UK) »
Ahh okay, that could be the guy then?  Is there any picture of the crest and arms? does this 'Garton' have a forname?

Offline davidbappleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 May 11 22:25 BST (UK) »
Papworth does not give a forename for Garton, though Mr. Garton undoubtedly had one.  Papworth says his source for this coat of arms was Glover's Ordinary.  There is a copy of Glover's Ordinary in Volume 1 of Edmondson's A Complete Body of Heraldry, of which I found a .pdf copy on-line at the Internet Text Archive: http://www.archive.org/details/completebodyofhe01edmo

I've attached a copy of the entry of Garton from Edmondson below.  Alas, there is nothing but the surname as an identifier, though the crest is given here (which is not the case in Papworth).

David