Author Topic: pioneer corps  (Read 890 times)

Offline cacklingpixie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
pioneer corps
« on: Tuesday 03 May 11 20:27 BST (UK) »
can any one help me please. i am looking for any info on my grandad. george henry russell, he was a private in the pioneer corps in 1945, he married my grandma in prestatyn (not sure if he was based there) in May 1945. i dont know his army number, d.o.b although he was born c1911, i do know he was staying at a holiday park in prestatyn when he got married. their marriage cert. just says his age as 'full'.
if anyone can help me or point me in the right direction i would appreciate itas i dont know where to look. thanks

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: pioneer corps
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 May 11 22:22 BST (UK) »
Before you can apply for his army records from the MOD you need (preferably) his army number, but occasionally they can work off his date of birth. There is an outside chance these people may be have some records - http://www.royalpioneercorps.co.uk/rpc/history_records.htm

Have you any idea where he came from? More recent death certificates give dates of birth. The MOD require a copy of the death certificate (plus £30), so if you are planning to order his records when you have more information, you should consider buying it now.

I am sure there were army camps in the Prestatyn area. So again the link may be able to help. You should also contact the record office for Denbighshire.

Ken

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 08:10 BST (UK) »
what was his fathers name on marriage cert only it will help either to find him in 1901-1911 cen and from that get his mothers name as well  that way hopefully we can work it all out to find his birth reg , as there are numerous g h russells around that era .
regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline cacklingpixie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 15:40 BST (UK) »
hi, his fathers name was Charles Christopher Russell, i have tried looking for him and i am slowly making my way through possibilities, but because i dont know when or where he was born or his mothers name its making it a bit hard. thanks for all your help