Author Topic: Look up request please: Wellington, Somerset marriage for HARTNELL and MAKEPEACE  (Read 6439 times)

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
I have a copy of a will that states that Elizabeth Makepeace (daughter of the Makepeace deceased) is married to Hurtnell. No christian name of spouse.

I think it is actually William Hartnell, Agricultural Labourer,aged 40, found in 1841 census living at More House, Wellington, Somerset.

I am looking for a marriage of Elizabeth Makepeace to William Hartnell.  No luck so far. Presumably in Wellington. Could possibly be a second marriage for Elizabeth. Might also have been Elizabeth Potter.

Thanks for any help. Have looked in lots of places. Makepeace frequently misspelt. ???

Offline somersetlass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Look up request please: Wellington, Somerset marriage for HARTNELL and MAKEPEACE
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 17:53 BST (UK) »
Having found and looked at the 1841 Census for this family in More House, Wellington it looks to me as though both William and Elizabeth were not born in Somerset.  Where they were living was not far from the Devon border so it could be possible they were born and married in Devon maybe?

Have you found them in the 1851 Census?

Is the will for someone who lived in either Somerset or Devon?
It simply takes      “One act of Random Kindness at a time”      to change the world

Research areas:
mainly Devon and Somerset
but also South Wales, Sussex, Sheffield, Northern Ireland, Fifeshire

Names:
Marshall & Goldsworthy; Bass & Nicol; Worden & Hobbs; Noble & Haste
Woodberry & Chorley; Moon & Hart; Brice & Richards; Denham & Honeybun

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
The will is for Susanna Makepeace of Wellington. Lists her children. I am trying to discover if there is any connection to the Potter family as there is an Elizabeth Makepeace who married John Potter in Exeter, St Mary, in 1824. I then found John Potter (?son) b. abt 1830 baptism in Exeter, St Mary's.

There is a John Potter of correct age staying with Susan Mackpeace (spelt incorrectly) and daughter Martha in 1841 in Wellington. There is also a Henry Potter b. abt 1827 staying with Susanna's son Edward Makepeace (baker) in East Reach, Taunton.  My g-g-g grandfather John Potter and his brother Henry both became bakers, where as there father was not, according to their marriage certificates.

Henry's birthplace varies on census as Wellington or Exeter. I found a baptism as a "Devon stray" in Wellington, with a side note Exeter, St Mary's.

I also have just found a Marianne Makepeace who was baptised on the same day and parish and from same abode (Rack Lane) as John Potter in Exeter,St Mary's however, her father Henry is too old b. abt 1781 to be Susanna Makepeace's son.

Don't know if a death certificate for "Elizabeth Hartnell" would reveal any former name? It is so confusing to have links but nothing concrete. ??? :-\

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Sorry. I forgot to say that I cannot find Elizabeth Hartnell's family after 1841 census. Thanks.

Offline somersetlass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A death cert for Elizabeth Hartnell would not give any former names, however, a birth cert for one of her children would.
You could try Sarah the youngest listed on the 1841 Census b abt 1839 (all the others were born before registration started).

Can't find the family together in the 1851 Census.  Could Elizabeth have died between the two Census?  There is a William Hartnell, widower aged 48, servant, living in Clist St Lawrence, Devon.  Also possible son Thomas Hartsell/Hartnell aged 18, lodger & William Hartsell/Hartnell aged 22, visitor in Uffculme, Devon with a family called Wills.

This might be red herrings though  :-\

It simply takes      “One act of Random Kindness at a time”      to change the world

Research areas:
mainly Devon and Somerset
but also South Wales, Sussex, Sheffield, Northern Ireland, Fifeshire

Names:
Marshall & Goldsworthy; Bass & Nicol; Worden & Hobbs; Noble & Haste
Woodberry & Chorley; Moon & Hart; Brice & Richards; Denham & Honeybun

Offline allibaker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.n
    • View Profile
Re: Look up request please: Wellington, Somerset marriage for HARTNELL and MAKEPEACE
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 June 11 11:54 BST (UK) »
hiya
don't know if this helps any?
can't see marriage in wellington but do see several baptisms for children of william hartnell and elizabeth-
william hartnell baptised 29th june 1828
john hartnell baptised 27th june  1830
thomas canniford hartnell bapt 9th dec 1832
elizabeth hartnell bapt 6th nov 1836
all children of william hartnell and wife elizabeth .fathers occupation is listed as husbandsman.all
baptised at wellington st johns c of e
regards
alli
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.
somerset- quick,baker,stephens,atyeo,rowswell,callow,marks
durham- marshall,fairbairn
worcestershire- stephens,bishop
gloucestershire - stephens
middlesex - chesney

Offline allibaker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.n
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 June 11 11:58 BST (UK) »
there are 3 possible deaths registered in the wellington district between 1841 - 1851 for elizabeth hartnell's
june qtr 1841 vol 10 page 323
june qtr 1842 vol 10 page 333 this district being wellington.s
and dec qtr 1849 vol 10 page 388 this district listed as wellington st
hope this helps?
regards
alli
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.
somerset- quick,baker,stephens,atyeo,rowswell,callow,marks
durham- marshall,fairbairn
worcestershire- stephens,bishop
gloucestershire - stephens
middlesex - chesney

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Thank you. Just doing a quick check of emails, but will check it out further. Might be a different Elizabeth, I think. There seem to be a few Hartnell's in Somerset. Appreciate your help :)

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 22:21 GMT (UK) »
I have since found an Elizabeth and George Hartnell. I am very hopeful that I have found the correct marriage of
Elizabeth Potter and George "Hartnall" in Edmonton, Essex, Mar qtr 1839 vol 3 p 60.
I have discovered that this Elizabeth is from Wellington, Somerset and George is from Pitminster, Somerset on Census  in Essex 1841 - 1881. She died 1884 in Mucking, Orsett, Essex. I have the death certificate.
I hope the marriage will have her father's name as Thomas Makepeace. Would be second marriage for her. I am awaiting the arrival of the certificate for confirmation.
The census image either says Hartnell or Hartwell!