Author Topic: How to find info from the early 1800s/John Ward  (Read 8921 times)

Offline tammyward

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How to find info from the early 1800s/John Ward
« on: Sunday 28 March 10 15:40 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for any information on John Ward, born 1806, Dublin. His father was also named John Ward. John got transferred to Australia as a convict on ship "Lonach". He arrived in Tenterfield, New South Wales. After he's release he remained in Australia and married Jane McKenna on 29 Jul 1844 at St Mary's in Sydney, it was a Roman Catholic service.

John and Jane had 7 Children, John, Margaret, Julia Ann, Clara, Thomas, Catherine Mary and Jane. I have the birth dates of all children.

John died 07 Apr 1872, Tenterfield, New South Wales.

If anyone is connected to this family, has information, or can help me with tracing John's family, please let me know. Any help is greatly appreciated

Kind Regards,

Tammy

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: How to find info from the early 1800s/John Ward
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 March 10 15:53 BST (UK) »
To find details for a common surname like Ward, you will need more details - e.g. fathers occupation, mothers name, a parish or location...

Some Dublin City parish records, and a few for the county area are available online free at : http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/  Records for some other Dublin areas are availabale on the pay-website of the IFHF

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline agho

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 March 10 16:56 BST (UK) »
On the IFHF church records site there is only one John Ward in Dublin with a father John. Baptised in Skerries RC church 1810 http://www.irish-roots.ie/
Not all registers are transcribed, however, and there are errors and omissions. The record above can be purchased online for €5 if you feel it may be correct.
For the record in the same parish & also with father John there was
Catherine 1806
Joseph 1805/1809
Jane 1807
Margaret 1801
Roseanne 1802
These may all be one family.
Also a John Warde marriage 1796
Burns Scotland/Australia/Cork
Fitzgerald East Cork
Lynch Glanmire/Glounthaune
Walsh Clare/Westmeath
Haskett
Murley Cork

Offline tammyward

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 April 10 09:05 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for any information on a John Ward born somewhere in Dublin in 1806. All I know is that he's Father was also named John Ward and that his Mother died when he was a Teenager. He was also a Convict that was sent to Australia, sometime around 1825 (could have been earlier).

I know that Ireland did not register their Births, Deaths and Marriages until the mid 1800s, but I was wondering if there was any other way that I could possibly find information on his family, such as, he's mother's name and possibly Grandfathers (on his Fathers side)? I live in Australia so visiting the National Archives or Libraries in Ireland is not a possibility, it has to be online.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

Tammy

Moderator Note : additional topics on the same subject have been merged, to prevent further duplicated research

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 April 10 09:17 BST (UK) »
As well as religion, you need to know where in Dublin someone came from to start to research church records. 'Dublin' can refer to either the city or county and there are quite a number of parishes. Also be aware that not all records survive and many RC parish records only start in the early 1800s.

Some Dublin (both city and county) records are available free on the website : http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/ and other parts are available on the pay-website of the Irish Family History Foundation at www.irish-roots.ie, but finding a certain match may not be possible with so little detail on John.

Your best bet is probably to check Australian records (e.g. transportation, marriage, death etc) to see if any further details of place of birth or family are mentioned.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Eidde

• RootsChat Member
  • (no relation)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 May 10 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Tammy

There's an 1831 certificate of freedom for a John Ward, born Ireland 1807 (arrived Australia 1825 on the Lonach) on Ancestry.

Do you have this already? If not I'd be happy to send it to you.  There's also a petition on his behalf from his father mentioning his mother's death and asking that John not be transported.  It gives an address of 45 Cook St, Dublin.

All the best

Eddie

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 May 10 12:59 BST (UK) »
There's a mention of the John Ward that Eddie found on the Transportation Database index on the National Archives website :

see : John Ward - 1825

Summary :

Name : John Ward
 Imprisonment place: Hulk "Surprise", Cork
 Document date:    Jan/1825
 Crime desc: Stealing a small gold pin
 Sentence:    Transportation 7 years
 Petitioner:    John Ward (Senior)
 Relationship: Father
 Document ref1: PPC 4127
 Comment1: Petitioner is a labourer by trade and resides at 45 Cook Street, Dublin.
 Comment field number: age 17.

The documents mentioned are usually available to view in the National Archives in Dublin  (http://www.nationalarchives.ie).

Cook street is on the south of Dublin City between Merchants quay and High street.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 May 10 13:13 BST (UK) »
Cook street was in the the both the Civil (i.e. Church of Ireland) and RC parishes of St. Audeon - and many surviving records for both these parishes are included in the Irish Genealogy website mentioned earlier (assuming that's where John jnr was born).

I dont see any immediate promising matches for John's baptism, but there are quite a few Ward listings included. Note that some of the records may include the Christian names in Latin.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline frussell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 May 10 17:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Tammy

My name is Fergus, I live in Dublin. I'm writing a history of the Eastwood family of Dublin, Louth and Armagh. One of my ancestors was transported to NSW in 1835. We might be able to be of mutual assistance to each other in that I could do a bit of research for you here in Dublin and you might be able to reciprocate for me in Aus. Would that be possible?

Fergus