Author Topic: Guernsey Look-up late 1890s RENOUF  (Read 1405 times)

Offline j9dw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Guernsey Look-up late 1890s RENOUF
« on: Friday 06 May 11 10:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm new to Guernsey trees as my channel isles research until now has been limited to Jersey, but now I find myself in Guernsey (I wish).

I'm on the RENOUF tree, which appears to be well documented, but it's the surname of a spouse I'm looking for.

James Roger RENOUF was born around 1878 to parents James Falla RENOUF & Mary Ann Prescilla ESBURY. His children (Vera Lavenia and james Roger) were born 12 Jul 1900 and abou 1899.

James Roger's wife was Ethel M, but I don't know what her maiden name was, so it's difficult to take her branch of the tree further back. I've found the family in the 1901 & 1911 censuses to see if any in-laws were living with them, but no luck.

From the 1891, 81 & 1871 censuses I've narrowed Ethel's maiden name down to one of 9 surnames, but now I'm stuck  :(

I know that they married after 1891 as I have James Roger, unmarried, with his parents in the 1891 census and as James was born around 1878, I'm not expecting anything before 1896 (or 94 at a stretch). As Vera was born 12 July 1900, I'm thinking mid 1899, but it is possible, of course, that Vera wasn't their 1st born.

Any info on Ethel M would be greatly appreciated. She was born (according to the 1901 census) in around 1878 in St Peter Port, Guernsey.

Ethel isn't with the family in 1911, but I can't find her anywhere else, so maybe she has died between 1901 & 1911. Mind you, I haven't paid to view the 1911 census, so I can't see if James Roger was a widow then.

Thank you.

Janine

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
Re: Guernsey Look-up late 1890s RENOUF
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 May 11 10:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Janine,

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch has James Rogers Renouf's and Vera Lavinia Renouf's parents as James Rogers Renouf and Ethel Mary Paul.

There's a matching Ethel Mary Paul in 1881 at St Peter Port.

:)
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline j9dw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Guernsey Look-up late 1890s RENOUF
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 May 11 10:44 BST (UK) »
Brilliant! Thank you.
Janine