Author Topic: Andrew Gove  (Read 19278 times)

Offline Marrel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Andrew Gove
« on: Saturday 07 May 11 13:06 BST (UK) »
I have Andrew Gove born 01 Feb 1810 Benholm and his wife Mary Ann Duff Strachan born 11 Jun 1814.

Their daughter Ann Gove married Robert Whyte at Gourdon on 28 Sep 1863 and, with their two sons William and Robert, emigrated to New Zealand on 30/11/1874

I am descended through Robert Whyte jnr.

Any link ups welcomed.

Offline foggyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Gove
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 May 11 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Do you have any connetions with the surname MCBAY/BEY in your tree?
I have a Christiana Gove who married Alexander McBay in 1861 in Sunderland England, but both came from Johnshaven,Scotland.
Kincardine/Northumberland/Co.Durham/London/Middlesex,Surrey,Tipperary Ireland.Scotland.England.
McBay/McBey,Ritchie,Blues/Blews/Blewes, Davidson,Campbell,Clark,Craig,Criggie,Douglas,Duncan,Dutch,Wyllie,Howard,Farrelly,Finch,Fogarty,Forbes,Freeman, Gibb,Geddes,Gove,Hampton,Jolly, Mackie,Masson,
McKenzie,Mearns,Milne,Mowatt,Mulvany,Nicol,O'Connor,Paton,Pert,Rae,Reid,Robertson,Ross,Scott,Sheret,Simpson,Slater,Smith,Souter, Stephen(s),Stevenson,Stewart,Sutherland,Taylor,Thomson,Webster,Wilson

Offline Marrel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 07:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,
No sorry not at this stage. I probably need to dig down a few generations yet to get to the 'outer families'.

Marrel

Offline Rowana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 May 11 16:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Marrel,
Andrew Gove & Mary Ann Duff Strachan were my G-G Grandparents.

Their son Andrew Gove, b 1841 in Benholm,  married Martha Begg, b 2 Sep 1837 in Fettercairn, on 29 Dec 1866 in Inverbervie.

Their eldest son was also Andrew Gove, and their second son was Munro Gove, b 1 Aug 1872 in Kinneff. Munro married Bridget Watt, b 18 April 1870 in Stonehaven.  They had a total of 10 children, the eldest being another Munro Gove, and their second son was another Andrew! My Mother was number 8! She was Martha Begg Gove, b 14 June 1911. 

Speak about keeping the family names going! It took me ages to sort them all out.

My Dad was David Wallace Irvine, b 4 April 1911 in Montrose.  Mun & Dad married in StCyrus on 15 April 1943, and I was born there in 1947.

I'd love to hear of your side of the family, as we must be 3rd or 4th cousins or something!

James Munro Irvine

Irvine Gove Watt Stronner

Offline Marrel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 May 11 22:10 BST (UK) »
Hello James,
Thank you for your reply. Have replied privately and will send you Ann Fullerton Gove's profile.

Adair

Offline wallyf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 July 11 19:08 BST (UK) »

Thank you for your reply. Have replied privately and will send you Ann Fullerton Gove's profile.

Any idea where the "Fullerton" came from?  I'm interested in all by that surname in the general region of Benholm.
Those Fullertons and related names associated with the family of George Fullerton and Margaret Pirie who resided at Mains of Dun about 1740 and Knox of Benholm after 1760, and their descendents scattered from Lunan to Peterhead, across Canada and the United States, and assuredly elsewhere.

Offline Marrel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 July 11 06:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Sorry. I don't have any real evidence of where the Fullerton name comes in. Working theory is that they lived in that area when Ann was born.

Offline foggyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 July 11 10:25 BST (UK) »

Any idea where the "Fullerton" came from?  I'm interested in all by that surname in the general region of Benholm.
[/quote
Hi,
I have a Margaret Fullerton McBay/Bey b/15 Jan 1845 and an unconfirmed death prior to 1855, parents John McBay/Bey b.1817 Miltonhaven,St.Cyrus and Jean/Jane Hampton b.1815 Johnshaven, married 1838 Johnshaven. I have no records of the name FULLERTON in the McBay line, so I assumned it may have come from the Hampton line which I have not had time to research yet.
McBay,MacBey, are used in this line. I have more information if you are interested on this family.
Kincardine/Northumberland/Co.Durham/London/Middlesex,Surrey,Tipperary Ireland.Scotland.England.
McBay/McBey,Ritchie,Blues/Blews/Blewes, Davidson,Campbell,Clark,Craig,Criggie,Douglas,Duncan,Dutch,Wyllie,Howard,Farrelly,Finch,Fogarty,Forbes,Freeman, Gibb,Geddes,Gove,Hampton,Jolly, Mackie,Masson,
McKenzie,Mearns,Milne,Mowatt,Mulvany,Nicol,O'Connor,Paton,Pert,Rae,Reid,Robertson,Ross,Scott,Sheret,Simpson,Slater,Smith,Souter, Stephen(s),Stevenson,Stewart,Sutherland,Taylor,Thomson,Webster,Wilson

Offline wallyf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 July 11 12:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks.  If you run into the Fullerton connection, please post it here.  I just did a quick check on McBeys and Hamptons using Familysearch.org to see if any familiar names popped up and while there are a few possibilities, none particularly jumped up and grabbed me.

BTW, you say you have the marriage of Jean/Jane Hampton and John McBey in Johnshaven.  It was  also recorded in St. Cyrus on 16 Sep 1838 according to familysearch.org. 
Those Fullertons and related names associated with the family of George Fullerton and Margaret Pirie who resided at Mains of Dun about 1740 and Knox of Benholm after 1760, and their descendents scattered from Lunan to Peterhead, across Canada and the United States, and assuredly elsewhere.