Author Topic: George JEFFERY of St Buryan  (Read 8666 times)

Offline jefferyg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George JEFFERY of St Buryan
« on: Monday 09 May 11 14:16 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace info about George Jeffery, born Circa 1833 at St Buryan Cornwall. He married Mary Tonkin (born 1837, bap 28/5/1837 at St Buryan). They moved to South Australia where they were married in Adelaide on 14/12/1852.

Any info, or heritage?  All welcome!!
Cheers
 Grant

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Jeffery of St Buryan
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 May 11 21:38 BST (UK) »
are the names of his parents mentioned on his marriage or on his death certificate? I can't see any Jeffrey baptisms in St Buryan around that time. Possibility that the family is non-conformist or baptism could be in a neighbouring parish, but Jeffrey isn't uncommon in the area so more info may help.

:-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: George JEFFERY of St Buryan
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 May 11 12:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Grant and Osprey,

Firstly to Osprey - unfortunately no parent information appears on SA certs.  If the marriage was a few years later we would have had a father named. :'(

I do note at marriage George JEFFREY was listed as aged 27 so born about 1825.

BISA

JEFFERY George born about 1825 in England and died 1875 at Victor Harbor SA buried Jamestown SA occupation Farmer residence Waitpinga, Torrens Vale religion Methodist
married 4 Dec 1852 Torrens Vale SA Mary nee TONKIN parents John and Prudence nee TRENOWETH who was born in Cornwall and died 11 Jun 1878 at Willochra SA
children Geo 1853, Maria 1855, Jane 1857, Martha 1859, Wm John 1861, Chas Guidley 1863, Jas 1865, Cath 1867, Alice 1869, Albt 1875

BISA in part of a submitted nature so not always 100% accurate. It would seem George died at the Never Never Range Dist Clare and is buried at Jamestown (aged 49 on 13 Apr 1875)

Do you have reason to believe George was also from St Buryan? He was not on the same ship as the TONKIN family. He appears to be 10 or so years older than Mary.

http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/fh/passengerlists/1849Marion.htm

Cheers Kris :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 May 11 10:24 BST (UK) »
George Jeffery  seems to have been the one who married Eliza Dunn before sailing to Australia with her and one child. So I was thinking that Eliza died and Mary Tonkin married George Jeffery the widower.

That marriage was registered in Redruth.

Following on from that reg district, there were several Jeffery families in Illogan at that time.

1824 a George jeffery was bap to a George and Martha.
1826 a George Jeffery was bap to a George and Ann

Fizzy
Cornwall - Mutton Brown Trevethan Mugford Higham
Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 May 11 12:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Fizzy,

I did wonder about him. I suspect his brother James travelled aboard the same ship. (He was living next door to the DUNN's in1841) I had the arrival and the births of 2 children in Kapunda (mining town North of Adelaide) but no luck with a death for Elizabeth Ann DUNN and at marriage George declared himself as single. (Don't see another death for a likely George either) One of these children died (Kapunda) The other I can't be sure there is the death for an Ellen Jane in Adelaide but no age or relative listed so can't say. (Bit unusual if it was a child, but these events are all very early in our history)

George and Mary married at Willunga (a farming community South of Adelaide)

Cheers Kris  :)

Offline jefferyg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 06:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kris...
much of interest here.

I am new to this...what is BISA?

You list initially george died 1875 at Victor Harbor, buried Jamestown...then later say he died at Never Never Range District Clare. Victor Harbor is 200 kms south of Clare, Jamestown 50 kms north of clare.  This seems queer. Waitpinga and Torrens vale are adjacent to Victor Harbor. Hmmmm.

Any Ideas? Could this be a mix up of two different families? The Jeffery family had many offspring and seem planted at Victor for three generations.

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 May 11 05:52 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

The BISA (Biographical Index of South Australians 1836-1885) is a publication of the SAGHS (South Australian Genealogy and History Society) It is a record of people who lived in South Australia during the first 50 years of colonization. They used many sources for the information some official sources such as immigration, BMDs etc but interested families also submitted information which was included. Even though we realise it may contain errors we find It can be a most helpful resource. It seems to me that perhaps family thought he died in the Victor Harbour but have added the Jamestown burial. Do you have an alternate death/burial for George and Mary in the Victor area?

I looked at deaths and found the death to match the Jamestown Burial. I live in the Mid North so am familiar with the area - The Never Never Ranges (Clare District - are out between Clare and Jamestown) District Registrations cover a wide area.

George Burial

http://www.australiancemeteries.com/sa/northern_areas/jamestowngndata.htm

Since his wife remarried at her residence in Laura in 1877 and died the following year at Willochra it seemed possible to me that they had moved prior to George's death. MMM I just found a death notice and no mention of wife or children for this George:

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/40089907

London Records (Son of William and Maria - father Printer - Parish Clerk)
1841 William and second wife Eliza are in St Paul Deptford Kent HO107/488/17 Folio 11 Page 14
Father William and sons William and George are printers

Mary's death
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/42984919

1 see the births for Mary's 11 children 10 Jeffery and one Jansen/Johnson. Now the last Jeffery Child was born at Bundaleer (Never Never Ranges - same area) So all seemed to fit. Maria married in Clare in 1873, Jane married in 1874 at Laura, Martha married in Clare 1879, Catherine married in Laura in 1885. Alice married in Laura in 1891, Son George married firstly in Willochra in 1879 before heading South

Jane's Marriage 1874
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/28731151

George is still at Waitpinga1871 so a possible move 1871-1873
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/28600991
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/39247732

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 May 11 08:17 BST (UK) »
A little more - I can not see anything to convince me your George was from Cornwall. I think it most likely he was the son of William JEFFERY and Maria BOUVIER from London

William JEFFERY bachelor of St Martin Ludgate = Maria BOUVIER spinster OTP were married by licence 12 Jun 1822 Spitalfields Christ Church with St Mary and St Stephen Middlesex both signed witnesses ? Bouvier and Ann Martha Jeffery.

Maria JEFFERY was buried 26 Jan 1827 St Martin Ludgate. She was aged 26 of Crooked Lane

William JEFFERY of St Margaret New Fish St Widower = Eliza AYRES of same spinster by Banns 22 Nov 1829 at St Magnus the Martyr both signed witnesses Thomas Gregory and R Hazard.

London Baptisms to William and Maria

William JEFFERY born 16 Mar 1823 and baptised 6 Apr 1823 St Martin Ludgate parents William and Maria of Pater Nosta Row Spitalfields. William - Parish Clerk OTP

Maria JEFFERY baptised 25 Mar 1824 Shoreditch St Leonard parents William and Maria of Middlesex Place Hackney Road. William - Parish Clerk

George JEFFERY born 5 Jul 1825 and baptised 30 July 1825 St Martin Ludgate parents William and Maria of Middlesex Place Hackney Road. William - Printer.

London Baptism to William and Eliza

Edward JEFFERY born 23 Mar 1831 and baptised 15 May 1831 St Martin Ludgate parents William and Eliza of Mark Lane Fenchurch St. William - Printer and Bookseller.

I believe this Edward arrived in 1849 on the SPARTAN

http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/fh/passengerlists/1849Spartan.htm

When he married Selina TONKIN in Yank in 1858 he listed his father as William - Edward and Selina had family at Harcourt (Yank District). I note William and Maria registered a Child at Yank in 1855 and one at Harcourt in 1857  ;)

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 May 11 12:16 BST (UK) »
Selina TONKIN was also from St Buryan - baptised 1 Nov 1840 parents James and Elizabeth father Lab of Churchtown.

1841 at Tregunno in Sancreed HO107/144/14 Folio 25 Page 7

James 42, Elizabeth 44, Elizabeth 14, Mary 13, Martha 10, Honnor 6 and Celenia 7 months

Families arrival a couple of years before John and Prudence and family.

http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/fh/passengerlists/1847BritishSovereign.htm

BISA - suggests John and James were brothers

TONKIN John parents Richd and Honor nee GUY born 1810 Penzance Cornwall died 2 Apr 1865 Dairy Flat SA buried Yankallilla SA arrived 1849 aboard the MARION 0ccupation Farmer residence Magill, Dairy Flat, Yankallilla religion BC
married Cornwall Prudence nee TRENOWETH who was born 1810 in Cornwall and died 23Jan 1896 Dairy Flat SA children Prudence (1830-died infant), Joseph (1831-died infant), John (1835-died infant), Jas  about1837, Mary JEFFERY about 1838-c1878), Jane PEARCE (1840-1924), John Chas (1844-1934)

http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/fh/passengerlists/1849Marion.htm

TONKIN James parents Richard and Honour nee GUY born 28 Aug 1803 Cornwall  and died 8 May 1880 buried  WTC arrived 1847 aboard the CRESSY
married England to Eliz who was born about 1793 died 14 Oct 1871 buried Bullaparinga SA
children Martha DE CAUX 1828-1903, Honor/Hannah MURDOCK c1830-1908. Selina JEFFERY, William Doble
1840-1912

Now I can see William Doble does not belong with these girls. His family did arrive on The CRESSY

http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/fh/passengerlists/1847Cressy.htm

He was baptised in St Buryan also parents James and Nancy

That family are in St Buryan in 1841 HO107/141/9 Folio 59 Page 18

James 35, Nancy 40, Joseph 11, Richard 7, William 1 Henry 4 along with Mary HUTCHENS 80. (Nancy was Nancy HUTCHENS)

(certainly a mix up with the BISA entry for James.)

Selina's older sisters all married at St John in Adelaide. James died at Yank in 1880 aged 86 and Elizabeth in 1871 aged 78 so it looks like he was not your John's brother.
Seems extended family emigrated. I see John's brother Enoch also emigrated

BISA

TONKIN Enoch parents Richd and Honour nee GuY born 19 July 1797 Penzance Cornwall and died 9 Jan 1875 Torrens Vale SA arrived 1840 aboard the JAVA 0ccupation Carpenter, Farmer residence Adelaide, Magill, Torrens Vale, Yankalilla religion Methodist
married about 1825 Cornwall to Betsy nee HUTCHENS who was born about 1800 cornwall and died 10 Nov 1875 Yankalilla SA
children Wm Hutchens 1825-1864, Amelia W. CORD, JERRAN 1826-1899, Eliz TONKIN 1829-1900, Chas 1831-1855, John 1833, Mary Ann 1834-1836, Jas 1836-1923, Mary Ann Doble 1837-1855, Thos Henry 1839-1871

http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/fh/passengerlists/1840Java-PassengerLists.htm