Author Topic: Missing baby records George Henry O'Keeffe  (Read 3118 times)

Offline lollthetroll

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing baby records George Henry O'Keeffe
« on: Wednesday 11 May 11 19:02 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help, please? I'm looking for a George Henry O'Keeffe born 1934 and died 1935. His parents were Maurice Christopher O'Keeffe and Ellen (Nee Pritchard). They had 3 other children - Julia Christina (B.1929), Eileen Mary(B. 1930) and Maurice Cornelius (b.1937). I've found records for Julia Christina & Maurice at St. Finbarrs South (South Chapel), but no record of Eileen though I did find a copy of her birth certificate. But nothing for George Henry. It's as if he didn't exist. The family were living in South Main St in 1930 and the O'Keeffe's have lots of family in the Blackrock area. Unfortunately I have completely lost touch with this branch of the family and would welcome suggestions as to how to trace them. I'm wondering if the baby was buried in a family plot. Aonghus O'Brien, the Parish secretary at St Finbarr's has looked but can't trace him in the church records.
My aunt Julia Christina (Known as Sheila) emigrated to Canada in the 1950's but is making a trip to Cork in a few weeks. She also knows nothing about where her brother is buried. It would be lovely to give her some info.
Many thanks

Offline skibbgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Missing baby records George Henry O'Keeffe
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 May 11 20:36 BST (UK) »
Do you have paper evidence that George died in 1935?

In researching my own family history, I have found that what people remember can be generally accurate, though fuzzy or slightly off, which complicates the act of laying your hands on a paper record, when you need precision.

Name:    George H O'Keeffe
Registration District:    Cork
Event Type:    BIRTHS
Registration Quarter and Year:    Jul - Sep 1932
Estimated Birth Year:    
Age (at Death):    
Mother's Maiden Name:    Pritchard
Film Number:    101232
Volume Number:    5
Page Number:    99
Digital Folder Number:    4195647
Image Number:    00150

Name:    George O'Keeffe
Registration District:    Cork
Event Type:    DEATHS
Registration Quarter and Year:    Jan - Mar 1933
Estimated Birth Year:    1933
Age (at Death):    0
Mother's Maiden Name:    
Film Number:    101739
Volume Number:    5
Page Number:    112
Digital Folder Number:    4202046
Image Number:    00204

https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/show#uri=http://hr-search-api:8080/searchapi/search/collection/1408347
PLEASE POST YOUR QUESTIONS TO THE BOARD, NOT THROUGH PM, so that everybody can take a shot at answering your question and benefit from the information.  I cannot respond to requests through private emails.

Barnane, Cahalane, Collins, Connolly, Driscoll, Hourihane, Hurley, Looney, McCarthy, Mahony, Sweeney, Young  in Skibbereen area of southwest County Cork, Ireland; Regan in RoaringWater bay area and in Caheragh parish

Offline lollthetroll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 May 11 20:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Skibbgirl. Your post has been incredibly helpful.
I'm sure the birth record is the missing baby, and the death record appears to be the only one that matches the dates. Unfortunately my maternal grandparents and my Mum are both deceased and my uncle (who gave me the original date of birth I quoted) knows no more than that. One thing though, I presume the film numbers & volume numbers etc refer to the microfiches kept at the Church of the Latter Day Saints. How would I go about getting a copy of the birth & death certificate? Could I use their reference? Sorry! You see now what I mean about being a novice at this! And how will I find out where he's buried?
Thanks
Pam

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 May 11 20:57 BST (UK) »
for details on certs and notes on ordering them see :

Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
  Details included on a Birth Cert
  Details included on a Death Cert

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline skibbgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 May 11 00:22 BST (UK) »
Pam,

All I know is there isn't a readily available comprehensive list of where people are buried. 

A few helpful souls have posted listings of tombstone inscriptions at various places on the Internet but I am not aware of inscriptions for any cemetery at St. Finbarr's, unfortunately.

It may be a matter of making a list of all the cemeteries within a reasonable radius in a circle around where the family lived, and visiting them one by one.  I am not even sure if an easy comprehensive list of cemeteries exists...

PLEASE POST YOUR QUESTIONS TO THE BOARD, NOT THROUGH PM, so that everybody can take a shot at answering your question and benefit from the information.  I cannot respond to requests through private emails.

Barnane, Cahalane, Collins, Connolly, Driscoll, Hourihane, Hurley, Looney, McCarthy, Mahony, Sweeney, Young  in Skibbereen area of southwest County Cork, Ireland; Regan in RoaringWater bay area and in Caheragh parish

Offline agho

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 May 11 16:27 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this list of graveyards will be much help
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~colin/Ireland/CorkGraveyards.htm

If you have an accurate date of death the curators at St Finbarr's and St Joseph's cemeteries can check the records & give you details of all people buried in the grave.
Burns Scotland/Australia/Cork
Fitzgerald East Cork
Lynch Glanmire/Glounthaune
Walsh Clare/Westmeath
Haskett
Murley Cork

Offline DINCUR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 May 11 08:01 BST (UK) »