Author Topic: mcclellands land.. where are the people from?  (Read 18291 times)

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
mcclellands land.. where are the people from?
« on: Saturday 14 May 11 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hi i have recently come across information about the plantation locally and it seems that the land here was owned by Lord McClelland from Kirkcudbright and his wife Lady McClelland it looks like they have brought alot of people over with them most likely my ancestors, that is what i'm wondering about. Would all have the planters have came from Kirkcudbright or the north of england and the rest of southern scotland? Because looking at the 1630 muster rolls for here there are lots and lots of surnames which are not to be found in kirkcudbright most of whom are from the north of england such as Carruthurs which is from northumbria, would this mean that they highered people from all over southern scotland and Northern england then? Because i had always thought that the people they brought where people who lived on their estates in kirkcudbright, on that do they have any other estates in the scotland or england that i am not aware of that they could have brought people from?I have found reference to someone possibly from my family and by going by the spelling it looks as though he is from Northern england i have looked at familysearch.org for references at that time and every single one of them is from Northumbria. Is there any books on the estate that tell (i know there are estate records but i dont think they tell you where the people came from) you where the people who rented out each plot of land came from?

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: mcclellands land.. where are the people from?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 May 11 18:36 BST (UK) »
Owen,
         It is not clear which lands you are talking about. If it is Sir Robert McClelland then see http://www.ulsterheritage.com/forrest/londonderry.htm
         Sir Robert had his castle in the townland of Ballycastle in the parish of Aghanloo and the base of the castle is supposedly still visable as the base of a farm outbuilding.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 May 11 19:02 BST (UK) »
Owen,
         It is not clear which lands you are talking about. If it is Sir Robert McClelland then see http://www.ulsterheritage.com/forrest/londonderry.htm
         Sir Robert had his castle in the townland of Ballycastle in the parish of Aghanloo and the base of the castle is supposedly still visable as the base of a farm outbuilding.

Regards

I'm talking about the churchlands of lady mcclelland in coleraine (don't know where though). Anyone know?

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 May 11 19:43 BST (UK) »
Owen,
        Sir Robert McClelland leased the Clothworkers Guild lands around Coleraine as well as the Haberdashers lands around Limavady. It was a huge estate but I do not know if his wife leased Church lands in the Coleraine area.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Hibee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Adamsrow, 1914
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 May 11 19:50 BST (UK) »
Owen

The "Plantation" referred to the plantation of people, from one country (usually Scotland or England) into Ireland.  The people were not planters, and there were no plantations, in the Caribbean/USA sense.

Hibee
Midlothian: Adam(s), Meikle/Muckle
Leith: Bridges
Edinburgh: Brown
Prestonpans: Bird, Inglis
Fife: Wemyss
Orkney: Brock
Ireland: Sweeney

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 May 11 21:00 BST (UK) »
Owen,
        Sir Robert McClelland leased the Clothworkers Guild lands around Coleraine as well as the Haberdashers lands around Limavady. It was a huge estate but I do not know if his wife leased Church lands in the Coleraine area.

Regards
Yes she did it says on the record lady mcclellands churchlands I think that must be down by castlerock and downhill that has to be my ancestor .. I'm just wondering Though where they got their people from?  Like what area of Scotland or england because it couldn't have just been kirkcudbrightshire.. Did   they have any other estates I'n Scotland or England besides Kirkcudbrightshire that they could have gotten tenants from where I could look...

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 May 11 21:02 BST (UK) »
Owen

The "Plantation" referred to the plantation of people, from one country (usually Scotland or England) into Ireland.  The people were not planters, and there were no plantations, in the Caribbean/USA sense.

Hibee
I think you'll find it was a plantation and a very large one at that 200000 people if that's not a plantation I dont know what is!?

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 May 11 21:08 BST (UK) »
Owen,

Regards

Where is this building I lice on the windyhill road so I'm not very far from Ballycastle townland what road is the building on?? It would be very very intresting to see

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 May 11 21:24 BST (UK) »
Owen,
         We are not allowed to post details of living people or current addresses on this site so I will send you a personal message.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim