Author Topic: New Here  (Read 4365 times)

Offline tggoss

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
New Here
« on: Sunday 15 May 11 20:15 BST (UK) »
Hi I am not new to genealogy but I am new to this forum. I am in Canada and most of my research is in England I am on a limited budget and have used most of the free things available out there but it seems I have reached a dead end on what I can get my hands on of the free things available. This is the line I have constantly had the worst trouble with so I am not sure how far any one will be able to help me with. What I have that I know Thomas GOSS (may have been a games keeper) lived in Uttoxeter, Staffordshire with wife Sarah as the had a son James b. 1837 sometime before BMD registration. I have gotten information on the 1871 Census showing James a gameskeeper with wife Sarah 2 yr older b. Uttoxeter in Brockhampton with sons Thomas 2 and William 1 both b. Norbury, I have also a 1881 Census with then in Leigh with her now 8 yr younger and now b. Cheshire, Thomas 12 William 11 still b. Norbury and James 3. They immigrated to Canada sometime after the birth of their son Joseph b. 1881 after census I have a British Columbia census 1901 with them all there in 1891 they were all in Alberta as the three younger children were born in Jumping pond Alberta. Sarah the younger was BOWERS as I have her death registration and she went by Sarah Harriet I have found a birth 1848 in Cheshire to Edward and Sarah BOWER. Sarah and James GOSS both died in Ashcroft, BC Canada. I just can't seem to find anything backwards and have no marriage records if you can help me with a census record with him with his parents maybe in 1841. or any one may be able to dig up a marriage registration for James and Sarah would be greatly appreciated. Thanks  :)
Staffordshire: GOSS Middlesex: LAWRANCE/LAWRENCE/LAURENCE, HORROD Buckingham: CAVE, ALLUM Suffolk: MABSON, MOUNTAIN, SMITH, COLE, MOULTON Antrim: DEAN/DEANE, MCALISTER, CALLAGAN, LOGAN, CHESTNUT Scotland: CARROLL

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: New Here
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 May 11 21:07 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to rootschat
www.freebmd.org.uk might be a useful website for you to look at as if you can find the birth registrations for the children born after 1837 then getting a certificate will give Sarah's maiden name and make looking for the marriage much easier.
For the benefit of others the 1881 reference is RG11 2750 98 10.   That gives James' age as 42 which makes him born after civil registration started.  There is a large gap bewtween children so it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that his first wife died and he married another Sarah - that might account for her change of age and birth place.
1871 is RG10 2685 15 1
They seem to have moved around a lot judging from the birth places of the children.
Regards
Andrea

Offline halhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 May 11 23:24 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome

From the freeBMD site it does look as if Andrea's idea of James marrying twice is possibly correct.

Death of Sarah Goss
Dec Q 1871 Ross 6a 321 (they were in Ross for the 1871 census)

Probable Marriage of James Goss to Sarah Harriet Bowers
Jun Q 1872 Ashton 8d 948

This would explain the change in age and PoB in the census entries.  Not found him so far on earlier censuses.

I cannot find an earlier marriage for James Goss to a Sarah.  There is a marriage of a James Goss in Uttoxeter in 1867, but the bride appears to be either Hannah or Mary Ann.  To follow this further you would need to get the birth certificate of either Thomas or William, which would give you the mother's maiden name.

Good hunting

halhawk
BARNES - Gloucestershire (Forest of Dean)
FORD - Gloucestershire
FROWEN - Gloucestershire; Canada (Ontario)
HAWKINS - Gloucestershire (Forest of Dean), Canada, Australia, South Africa
HAYNES - Gloucestershire
KNIGHT - Deerhurst, Gloucestershire
MAYO - Gloucestershire (Forest of Dean)
PAYNE - Frome, Somerset; Stroud, Gloucestershire
PRIDAY - Gloucestershire, Australia
SHIPWAY - Stroud, Gloucestershire

Offline tggoss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 May 11 23:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you both I don't know why I never thought of two marriages before. I will start with a certificate on one of the 2 older boys and see if I get a name from there. Thanks again. ;D
Staffordshire: GOSS Middlesex: LAWRANCE/LAWRENCE/LAURENCE, HORROD Buckingham: CAVE, ALLUM Suffolk: MABSON, MOUNTAIN, SMITH, COLE, MOULTON Antrim: DEAN/DEANE, MCALISTER, CALLAGAN, LOGAN, CHESTNUT Scotland: CARROLL

Offline Neptune

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 May 11 01:17 BST (UK) »
Hi
On the familysearch beta site there are a few entries which might be of interest to you -

A marriage in 1867 in Uttoxeter James Goss and Sarah Harris-fathers are Thomas Goss and John Harris

Christenings in Norbury for Thomas H B Goss 1868 and William H Goss in 1870 parents James and Sarah.

Sorry I can't seem to put the link on here-just google familysearchlabs and select the beta search and you should hopefully find it.

Hope this helps

Neptune

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline denmart18

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 May 11 07:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,
the familysearch site

https://www.familysearch.org/

gives a baptism for James Goss, 19 Jul 1837 in Uttoxeter, parents Thomas Goss and Sarah.
Batch no. C04795-5, Film no. 1526194
Lines: London, Middlesex
Silvester: Hampshire - Portsmouth
Manyard: Lincolnshire - Whaplode
Bradford: Bristol, Devon, Birmingham
Heard: Devon - Totnes, Bow
Joyner: Bristol
Tack: Ostend, Belgium
Maes: Ostend, Belgium

Offline z

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 May 11 08:18 BST (UK) »
Good Morning tggoss

I am wondering whether the surname Goss has either been mistranscribed or evolved from Gorse into Goss - see what you think of this:-

1841 HO107 1006 11 Folio 24 Pg 3 - Civil Parish Checkley - according to Genuki 5 miles NW by W of Uttoxeter
Thomas Gorse 40 - Keeper
Sarah 40
Joseph 17
Sharlot or Sharlod? 13
William 10
Myrom? 7
James 4
All born in county

Possibility? 1851 HO107 2010 Folio 8 Pg 9 - Civil Parish Norbury
Living with a family of Harrison and working as a farm servant
James Gorse 14 Madley Staffordshire

All the best

Z :)

To Add: Although the bithplace of James in 1851 does not seem right there could be a possible Gorse connection to the Harrison family:-

Joseph Harrison Head mar 34 Roston Derbyshire
Catherine 32 wife Mackworth Derbyshire 
plus children etc

Freebmd - Catherine Gorse/Goss June 1843 Dist Ashbourne Vol 19 Pg 293 - however there are only 3 entries on this page and I cannot seem to find Joseph so maybe he has been missed from this entry ??? 

Offline lindy-lou

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 May 11 08:31 BST (UK) »
Hi
found this on familysearch site, in reply to "Z" find..... Miram Goss,christened Sep 1833, Uttoxeter, parents Thomas Goss & Sarah, could this be "Myrom" age 7 on census?

Lindy-lou  :)
Cruickshank (Huntly/Gartly), Robertson (Kirriemuir), Mundie(y) (St fergus), Cheyne (St Fergus), McGregor (Perth), Thomson,  Rennie, Clark,Willox,  N/NE Scotland
Chads(worldwide)
Lightbourn,Parker, Bermuda
Cornell, USA
McFarlane,Isle of Mull & Renfrewshire
Breslin,Glasgow & Ireland

Offline halhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 May 11 10:54 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just an addition - from what Neptune found on the familysearch site, the reference for the 1867 Goss marriage is

Mar Q 1867 Uttoxeter 6b 388

It looks like Sarah Harris was transcribed wrongly as Hannah Harris when the marriage was entered in the Index.  This actually happened with my grandfather's MC - when I got the copy, the handwriting made 'Herbert' look like 'Hubert', thus explaining why I could not find him in the Index, but could find his wife's entry.

Good hunting
halhawk
BARNES - Gloucestershire (Forest of Dean)
FORD - Gloucestershire
FROWEN - Gloucestershire; Canada (Ontario)
HAWKINS - Gloucestershire (Forest of Dean), Canada, Australia, South Africa
HAYNES - Gloucestershire
KNIGHT - Deerhurst, Gloucestershire
MAYO - Gloucestershire (Forest of Dean)
PAYNE - Frome, Somerset; Stroud, Gloucestershire
PRIDAY - Gloucestershire, Australia
SHIPWAY - Stroud, Gloucestershire