Author Topic: Catherine Evans census 1851 Burwen Anglesey  (Read 5087 times)

Offline liverbirds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Catherine Evans census 1851 Burwen Anglesey
« on: Tuesday 26 April 05 14:24 BST (UK) »
Hello can anyone tell me if Burwen census would come in with the Amlwch area, it all looks pretty close on the map. I have been searching for my gt grandmothers family in Anglesey we have always been told she was from Amlwch. On the 1871 census in Liverpool she and a Richard Evans gave their birth area as Anglesey , Corwen . We think this was an Enumerators mistake with dialect.

Trystan has been a great help and deciphered that it could have been Gurwain and has now found on the map a second place very close to Amlwch, Bull Bay area looks like Burwen. My gt grandmother was Catherine Evans and we are certain we have her on the 1851 census as a 5 year old, we can only find one other Catherine of the same age in the area any help any one can offer would be greatly appreciated Regards Liverbirds
Mc Cann,Dublin. Evans,Anglesey.Jones,Denbigh.Wesson,Huntingdonshire. Mc Dermott, anywhere. and the same names in Liverpool after 1861

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Evans census 1851 Burwen Anglesey
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 April 05 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Liverbirds,

I'd hazard a guess and say that Burwen is another mistranscription of Gaerwen.

I've checked the Genuki site for Anglesey, but couldn't find anything remotely similar. Perhaps if you have a look, one if the names might ring a bell?

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/AGY/Where/index.html

Is it definitely a village or town you are looking for, and not a farm?

Your not having an easy time with your anglesey research!
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline liverbirds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 April 05 23:45 BST (UK) »
Hello and thank you for your reply, I have looked at the modern map and found the name at Bull Bay area as Trystan said, but now with your info I wonder was the area also a modern name. I will probably try Anglesey records office and see what they come up with, I do appreciate your input, Regards Liverbirds
Mc Cann,Dublin. Evans,Anglesey.Jones,Denbigh.Wesson,Huntingdonshire. Mc Dermott, anywhere. and the same names in Liverpool after 1861

Offline cae howell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 December 09 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Your correct Berwen is between Cemaes Bay and bull Bay on the main road
griffiths Anglesey,, thomas Holyhead,,Liverpool

Offline aled23

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 October 12 17:53 BST (UK) »
There is actually a farm called Gaerwen in Burwen, which comes under Amlwch, but baptisms could have taken place in LlaNbadrig