Author Topic: Benjamin and Frances James  (Read 13394 times)

Offline Dutch Uncle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Benjamin and Frances James
« on: Wednesday 18 May 11 15:30 BST (UK) »
I have recently started trying to trace my family tree and have become stuck at Frances James who was the second wife of Benjamin James.

Benjamin James (my Great Great Grandfather) born 12 June 1839 first married Rachel Thomas (b1843, d1874). I do not know Frances' maiden name, but she was born ca 1851 I believe in Monkton and died 24 Oct 1901 and is buried in Maidenwells. Most of this information comes from the James family Bible which has passed down to me. It also shows me Benjamin's father was called James James.

From the 1841 census for Stackpole Elidor I believe Benjamin's parents were James James and Sarah Griffiths (b1813 in Lampeter - I am guessing Lampeter Velfrey), and they were married 22 Apr 1837 in Stackpole Elidor. The family Bible suggests James James was born around 1810, but other information suggests he was christened in 1816. Is this possible? Also the 1841 census suggests he was 25 and thus born ca 1816, but all ages are rounded to the nearest(?) 5 years. However the 1841 census does show an 18 month old Benjamin which makes me fairly confident this is the correct James James.

I then believe James James' parents were Thomas James (b c1785) and Margaret Rowland (b c1789 both in Stackpole Elidor). I then believe Thomas James' parents were James Williams and Margaret (b c1759 and c1763 in Stackpole Elidor). I am not sure how or why the surname seems to have changed at this point.

I would be grateful if anyone has any ideas how I can find Frances' James maiden name. Also is the apparent discrepancy in birth years for James James within normal bounds of uncertainty for this timeframe? And why or how might the surname change from Williams to James?

Good luck to all fellow enthusiasts tracing their roots

Best regards

Brian W
Witherden - Kent
James/Phillips/Thomas/Hitchings - Pembrokeshire
Turley - Lancashire

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin and Frances James
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 15:40 BST (UK) »
Using FreeBMD you can search for births, Marriages and Deaths.

The following show up as possibilities:

December qtr 1862
Pembroke district    vol 11a, page 1077

James, Benjamin
Thomas, Rachel

December qtr 1876
Pembroke district    col 11a, page 1247

James, Benjamin
Hendy, Frances Anne
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Dutch Uncle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 16:11 BST (UK) »
What a fantastic rapid response - thank you so much

I have a feeling I may have been asking trivial questions here which I should have been able to sort out myself - many apologies if I have just shown how new I am to this. I have now navigated the FreeBMD successfully and should be able to make much more progress in a few more areas.

Thank you for your patience

Best regards

Brian

Witherden - Kent
James/Phillips/Thomas/Hitchings - Pembrokeshire
Turley - Lancashire

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 16:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian

Welcome to Rootschat :)

FreeReg have a lot of James baptisums from Stackpole Elidor.It also has Marriages & Burials.

Any problems ,just shout ;D

Kind Regards

omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 16:52 BST (UK) »
Back again :)

If my memory serves me right & your Ancestors were Non Conformist they were`nt Baptised when babies.If near a River they could have been Baptised in it.I have seen when visiting Pembrokeshire 1 Chaple had an outside Baptisum Pool because it was no where a River. I dont know if all Baptist had this practise though.

Dont know if this was useless info ;D

Kind Regards
omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 19:43 BST (UK) »
There is no church chapel or cemetery at Maidenwells, so unlikely buried there. Are you perhaps confusing it with St Daniels Churchyard which has no registers and comes under Pembroke St Michael or if non-conformist Gilead Non-conformist burial ground? Both are close to Maidenwells.

Have you consulted ;
http://www.revjones.fsnet.co.uk/stackgrpreg/register.htm

From my transcription of the all the parish registers of Stackpole Elidor from the Mrge Register covering the period 1814 to 1837 I note that ;
22 April 1837 James James of Stackpole Elidor mrd Sarah Griffiths of Stackpole Elidor by banns in front of F. Geo Leach. James signed his name and Sarah made her mark in front of James Williams and Sarah Hall.

Rgds
Orielbenfro
ORIEL a welsh window on a surname
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline Orielbenfro

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 19:46 BST (UK) »
Your Benjamin James was baptised at St Petrox 30 June 1839 to James & Sarah.
Rgds
Orielbenfro
1946-2015

Offline Orielbenfro

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 May 11 08:56 BST (UK) »
A revue of your current research has lead me to believe that Benjamin James mrd Frances (Fanny) Anne Hendy in the 4th Qtr 1876 in the Pembroke Registration District.

Turning to my transcription of all the parish registers of Pembroke St Mary 1711 to the 1950’s I note in the mrge register for the period 1848 to 1915 the following ;
12 Dec 1876 Benjamin James aged 36 yrs a Widower and Labourer of Maidenwells the son of James James (deceased) a Labourer married Frances Anne Hendy aged 30 yrs a spinster of the Vicarage Main St the daughter of Joseph Protheroe (The reputed father) a Farmer by banns in front of Henry S. Blink. Benjamin made his mark and Frances signed her name  in the presence of Thomas Davies and Elizabeth (X) Davies.

(Note ; The Vicarage at this time is the large building to the right of the Lion Hotel, commonly called Henry’s, now closed, go to Google Maps and it will show you this location or if you wish I can walk down and obtain a jpeg for your interest)
(Note ; The term “reputed father” appears in the margin of the register, I do not believe the term will appear on a purchased certificate)

A Frances Hendy was born in 1st Qtr of 1846 in the Pembroke Reg District and probably baptised at St Florence in 1846, I shall be interested to see what the original baptism entry contains.

In 1861 at St Flforence I note that a Mary Hendy resides with her sister Eliza and Eliza’s husband Benjamin Evans who is a Schoolmaster, Mary and Eliza declare born at Warren.

In the same year there is a John & Jane Hendy and family farming at Flemington, St Florence, alas no Frances resides with them.

I had hoped that the C19th Hendy wills of St Florence would show a connection to your possible Frances, but it appears not.

With luck someone with Ancestry or FindMyPast(I cannot afford either) will locate Joseph Prothero in the 1851.

The above only holds good once you have double checked my research.

Rgds
Orielbenfro
1946-2015

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 May 11 09:17 BST (UK) »
No sooner said than done!  ;D

1851, reference HO107, Piece 2479, Folio 5, Page 3
Dwbdwr, St Lawrence, Pembrokeshire

Pretheroe, Joseph  Head  M  45  Ag Lab  b Llanhowell
Pretheroe, Martha  Wife  F  64  b Lambston
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)