Author Topic: GULACK, GOLLICK, GERLOCH, GULAG, GOLOCK, GULACH  (Read 4995 times)

Offline suevize

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
GULACK, GOLLICK, GERLOCH, GULAG, GOLOCK, GULACH
« on: Wednesday 25 May 11 09:08 BST (UK) »
Mary Louisa GULACK also spelt GOLLICK, GERLOCH, GULAG, GOLOCK, GULACH claimed to be born 2 January 1850 in Port Adelaide (but possibly at sea). No birth registered in South Australia can be found searching on name variants. According to her obituary, she was the daughter of "Mr John GULACK of Blumberg", where Louisa also grew up. I believe the family may be of Germanic descent. Louisa married Johann August BARRIEN near Robe in 1871 and they had 7 daughters (the source of the spelling variations comes from their birth registrations) and lived near Millicent, Reedy Creek, Lochaber and Naracoorte. I have been unable to find any information on the "GULACK" family or its origins. The closest name I can identify in the records is GERLACH. Any information or leads appreciated.
Vize Matheson Lucy Renaghan McCabe Jesson Wadey Macdonald Sewell Barrien Ackroyd Cameron Page Warwick Stocker Irmler Nicol Petrie Aguilar Kilpatrick Norman Morison Walker Brannigan  O'Connor Mooney Barker Laurie Spencer Luff(e) Redman Bennett Ide Chapman Macaulay Stewart Hide/Hyde Taylor Petrie Reverdy

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
Re: GULACK, GOLLICK, GERLOCH, GULAG, GOLOCK, GULACH
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 09:49 BST (UK) »
Hi

If you looking for a possible origin of the name, there is a fairly common name in North Somerset spelt alternatively GOLLICK, GULLICK & other variations

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline janinez

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 10:00 BST (UK) »
there is a mary Gillick regestered in 1853 in Sydney NSW though

father: John Gillick and mother Mary A, no surname though

V1853735 70

If she was born at sea may be the first place they landed at that they registered her birth??

Happened to one of my ggg grandfathers,born in canadian waters but registered in NSW would you believe

will see if I can see anything more  :D
Ellis, Coll, Ward, Toovey, Tait, Stone, Fowler, Stephenson, Dry, Townsend, Walters, Grainger,

Offline janinez

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 10:14 BST (UK) »
Have just seen a tree on ancestry that has her and her husband on it. It has death cert also. notes her father as Johann Carl Ludwig Gerlach and mother as Marie Elsie Muller

Says May L Gerlach was born 2 January 1850 Port Adelaide
died 9 June 1933 Naracoorte, South Australia
she is buried in the naracoorte cemetery in the old section Plot 180
burial 1933 - 04 -08

Hope it helps
Ellis, Coll, Ward, Toovey, Tait, Stone, Fowler, Stephenson, Dry, Townsend, Walters, Grainger,

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 10:23 BST (UK) »
there is a mary Gillick regestered in 1853 in Sydney NSW though

father: John Gillick and mother Mary A, no surname though

V1853735 70 If she was born at sea may be the first place they landed at that they registered her birth??
Hi there,

re that 1853 registration, it would be for the baptism of that lass SO birth year not necessarily 1853  ;).  Civil registration commenced 1856 in NSW .  The baptism should show her parents names (although not the maiden name), and his occupation, address etc, and also the date of birth and possibly where born, and maybe even the name of the ship.  Baptism could be several years after birth, perhaps first time the family was able to connect with a clergyman of their own faith. 

The NSW BDM online index has it noted twice, this indicates that the baptism may be according to the rites of a non-conf or  RC or perhaps a remote parish not in Sydney NSW, not necc. even in NSW.

It could well be the Sth Aust birth, there was a General Order  dating from 1810's in NSW Government practices requiring clergy to send quarterly returns to NSW Chaplains.   Perhaps the cleric conducting the baptism was familiar with that regulation.   There are definitely records on NSW BDM for baptisms burials marriages that occurred in NZ, Figi, South Sea Islands, Tas, Victoria,Qld etc, no reason why Sth Aust should miss out !

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 10:25 BST (UK) »
Agh,

Anglicise Johann Carl   and mother as Marie Elsie    John Charles and Mary Elsie/Alice.... (depending on accents as heard by Rev'd

Also, I have been known to be way off track .... Sorry ....

Cheers, JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 10:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue

The ship Emmy arrived at Port Adelaide in Jan 1850 and there was supposedly a GERLACH couple and child. I should have said a similar surname to GERLACH!

The Biographical Index SA has completely different GERLACH families arriving in 1858 on the Susanne and the Caesar Helene in 1859.

Not certain this was the family of Mary Louisa
This death at Lobethal is as near as you'll get to Blumberg/Birdwood.
Maria Elisa GERLACH aged 51y wife of Carl Ludwig GERLACH
Residence and Death Place: Lobethal
Date: 25 May 1862
District Nairne/ bk 14 pg 236
BISA has her maiden name as KORITZKY

Johann Carl Ludwig and a married son later moved to the Lyndoch Valley. Son Johannes married Beate LESKE at Lobethal in 1863.

Essie

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 11:01 BST (UK) »
Emmy's previous port was Melbourne

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/38447594 Sth Aust Registrar 17 Jan 1850, from Hamburg 5 Sept 1849, 145 emigrants on board

Cheers, JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 11:04 BST (UK) »
Comments about the emigrants who landed in Melbourne (could perhaps also apply to the Sth Aust ones too)

The immigrants by the ' Emmy' appear to be of a much more suitable description than the former importations, being principally from the rural districts of Saxony.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/4768822 The Argus 21 Dec 1849

Cheers,  JM