Author Topic: 1903 marriage lookup request - Synagogue - COMPLETED  (Read 5616 times)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
1903 marriage lookup request - Synagogue - COMPLETED
« on: Thursday 26 May 11 19:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am helping a friend with her Jewish ancestry and have hit a slight problem which needs sight of her grandparents marriage cert.

If anybody is going to the RO and has some time to spare - would it be possible to lookup the following marriage?   Although Lancashire BMD shows it as a Registrar attended - the couple were Jewish and married in the Synagogue

The registration district was Chorlton and Lancs BMD shows it as Chorlton on Medlock so I am assuming it was the Chorlton on Medlock Synagogue.  Lancs BMD ref is  CHO_RM/160/97

June qtr 1903 - Abraham Estry to Nancy Brunswick

I have all of Abraham's ancestry but I am hoping that Nancy's father was Peter - occ glazier.

There is no birth reg or 1891/1901 entry for a Nancy Brunswick b 1881 - 1884 but I have found a Nancy Brownsweig/Braunschweig and wonder if the surname was "Anglicised" to Brunswick. 

Parents surname in 1911 is Brownsweig and married for 24yrs - 1886/7.  The 1891 shows children born before that date so it looks like Peter was previously married.  Peter Braunsweig married Annie Bernard at Manchester Synagogue in 1886
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1903 marriage lookup request - Synagogue
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 May 11 22:48 BST (UK) »
According to jewishgen Chorlton on Medlock Synagogue was opened in 1911 and closed in the 1920s. Maybe the marriage was somewhere else?

From jewishgen

Manchester, Chorlton on Medlock Synagogue [501/1]
Date of only Marriage in Register: 14MAR1915;
Note: After this entry there is a memo stating: This Marriage Register is closed at this point by direction of the Registrar General in consequence of a change in the address of the Synagogue.”
Signed and dated 07SEP1916.

Chorlton on Medlock Hebrew Congregation, 296 Oxford Road, Manchester [501/2]
Date of First Marriage in Register: 12AUG1917;
Date of Last Marriage in Register: 29OCT1939;
Note: After the last entry there is a memo stating: “In consequence of the fact that the Oxford Road Hebrew Congregation at 296 Oxford Road, Manchester 13 has decided to dispense with the office of Secretary for Marriages, these duplicate Marriage Registers are disused at this point by direction of the Registrar General.”
Signed and dated 23DEC1947.

Gibel

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 May 11 23:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Gibel and thanks for the info.  Certainly doesn't look as though they married at that one then

She may have to buy a copy of the cert to solve this one
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: 1903 marriage lookup request - Synagogue - COMPLETED
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 May 11 22:48 BST (UK) »
Hi

Special thanks to Beannie who has looked this marriage up for me and confirmed I have the right family.  Nancy's father was indeed Peter - occ glazier

The marriage was at Oldham Registry Office

Online Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 May 11 11:26 BST (UK) »
How did someone manage to look up a Registry Office wedding?  I have always understood that this is something you cannot do and have to buy the certificate. Please let us into the secret as I'm sure we'd all like to know.

Gibel

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 May 11 23:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Gibel

I honestly don't know - I thought the same as you that they could only be looked up if the church was known

I am just very grateful for the info found but will send a pm to Beannie asking him to get in touch with you

Offline James_Demoraes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 February 15 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello Carole, I know this is a very old post but Nancy Brunswick was my great grand aunt, not sure how to send a pm in this forum but it would be nice to chat...

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 February 15 09:29 GMT (UK) »
A warm welcome to Rootschat James!
You need to make a couple more posts before you can send private messages. Just reply to this post a couple of times.

Heather

Offline James_Demoraes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 February 15 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the welcome Heather