Author Topic: Baptism lookup......MILLS  (Read 1126 times)

Offline SNAPPERSNIPES

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baptism lookup......MILLS
« on: Sunday 29 May 11 12:35 BST (UK) »
Could some kind person please look up the Baptism of Joseph MILLS C1802 Possibly Wilts ,maybe Westbury,also Enos MILLS Probably his brother C1808 Fathers name John,again possibly Wilts.Thank you for reading this.

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism lookup......MILLS
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 May 11 15:12 BST (UK) »
Hi and Welcome to Rootschat

I found this a little hard to search for you.  I couldnt find either Joseph or Enos Mills christening but did find them on the census.
It would seem that Joseph was born in 1802 and Enos or Enas on some pages was born in 1808.
I did find an interesting thing about Joseph
Joseph married Ann Fry on 16th December 1834 at Westbury.
On the 1841 census I could not find Joseph but did find Ann still in
Westbury at Gills Close, with 3 children John 6, Sarah, 4, and William 2
Ann is 30.
Then on the 1851 census Ann is classed as the Head of the family and
marked as a Widow.  She has John and Sarah and a Elizabeth but no William.
John is a worker in a Cloth Factory
I also looked for Joseph on the 1851 census and found him, bearing in mind
Ann states she is a widow.  He is a lodger at Albion Yard, Newtown, Montgomeryshire, Wales. He is a Weaver and classed as being born in Westbury, Wilts in 1802. So must be him. He is down as still being married?? Intrigue lol.
I think the John Mills you say is the father could possible this marriage
John Mills married Hannah Miles on 27th September 1798 at Newton Tony.
This needs checking again.
I did also see this about Enos.
Enas Mills born 1808 Westbury died Oct 1868 aged 60 years.

Hope this helps with your research
regards
Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline SNAPPERSNIPES

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 May 11 17:21 BST (UK) »
Hello, and thank you for all your hard work,but unfortunately I already have all the information you have thoughtfully provided :(, and it took years for me to find it all.Joseph MILLS was in prison in Devizes Wilts in 1941 and again in 1843 for leaving his wife and children,I presume that in 1851 he ran a bit further away,and his wife back in Westbury said that he was dead to claim Parish relief! I have looked for years to find Joseph and Enos baptisms without success.There is a John Mills in Westbury who married a Lydia Collier and had three sons,and Joseph and ENOS births fit nicely between them but there is no record of any connection.Thank you again for your effort ,I will have to keep looking :(

Offline Captain2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Dear Grandma
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 May 11 14:50 BST (UK) »
I see that Enos Mills married Mary Roberts - Westbury - July-Sept qtr 1858. Vol 5A. Pg182.  This may be worth purchasing his marriage certificate as it should list his father.
I also noted from the census's that alot of the Mills - including John & Lydia that you mentioned previously - are centered around the village of Dilton Marsh (just near to Westbury) or from Leigh ( now known as Westbury Leigh) which is also very near to Westbury.  You may be interested in looking at the  on-line history of the village of Dilton Marsh as I know they have published the Sunday School registers for the Providence Chapel together with other bits of information and inscriptions which you may find useful.

What also makes me think the family may be Dilton Marsh based is  looking for Mary Roberts ( wife of Enos) there are 2 in Dilton Marsh in 1851 - Mary aged 23 daughter of Isaac and  another  Mary aged 40 wife of Simon. By the 1861, I can no longer find Simon Roberts on the census, so maybe he has died and his widow Mary Roberts becomes Enos's wife in 1858? Ofcourse the only certain way to prove this would be as I said previously, a marriage certificate.

I hope this helps with your research.

Kind Regards

Angie
HARE - Taunton, Somerset  COOKSON - London ANDREWS - PLANE & PARKER -Peckham
HYDE - Berkshire - Australia/CLEMENTS - Berkshire
WOODLEY - Berkshire - Oxfordshire
GARRETT Bradford Abbas, Dorset
SMITH - Islington, Holborn, London
TROAKE - Devon - ADAMS - Devon/Somerset
WINNEY - Berkshire/Oxfordshire
EASTERSON - Kent  BURLINGHAM - Oxfordshire
LYONS & CURTIS - Berkshire