Author Topic: Paternal Search  (Read 13829 times)

Offline castletown

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Paternal Search
« on: Monday 30 May 11 02:09 BST (UK) »
Trying to find info on John Johnson born c1887 from Ferrybank Arklow, married ? Tyrell (shipping family). (both C of I). They had two daughters (Evelyn and Margaret). They might have moved to Dublin as his last know address prior to moving to Dublin 12 was Parnell Street in Dublin.  His wife (nee Tyrell) died c1918?. John was in British Army and I believe was at Suvla Bay during WW1 (expeditionary force).
He re-married in 1933 to Elizabeth Coady (RC) and converted to RC. 
Also we've been told that a member of his family is listed on Fusiliers Arch at Stephen's Green, Dublin.
W Johnson, (possibly his brother/uncle) who served with the Royal Dublin Fusiliers 1st Battlion and was killed in the 2nd Boer war.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Paternal Search
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 May 11 09:08 BST (UK) »
Is this your John with his mother Margaret and  brother William on the 1901 census ?

Johnson household / Gt. Charles St., Dublin

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 May 11 09:18 BST (UK) »
possibly Margaret, William and John on the 1911 census as Johnston..

Johnston household, Mark Street, Dublin

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 May 11 09:43 BST (UK) »
doesn't fit the timeline of the William shown on the two census returns above since the men commemorated on the arch died 1899-1900, but there's a W. Johnson, Corp., 1st Battalion shown the on the Fusiliers Arch see :

http://www.irishwarmemorials.ie/html/showMemorial.php?show=142

He is listed in the left hand column of the photo 'list-a'

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline castletown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 June 11 23:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

Many thanks for your input but I don't believe these people are my grandfathers parents as I believe they resided in Ferrybank, Arklow circa late 1800's and not in Dublin.  I reckon family ties were cut in the early 1900's when my grandfather converted to RC which is why I'm finding it difficult to trace his ancestry and unfortunately his children from his first marriage when he was C of I, are now deceased.

Offline castletown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 June 11 00:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

Found a death notice among my late Fathers papers today of a Helena Johnson, relict (widowed) of William Johnson late of Mountjoy Square.  Trying not to grasp at straws but re-checked your link and think maybe there's a link there.  Guess I won't find much more unless I cough up a few bob and research Births, marriages and Deaths in the national records office; or wait till the next release of census results in 2027.

Thanks for your input and help.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 June 11 18:21 BST (UK) »
Had a quick look to see if i could help

I found these civil records that may be John and his family if the Mountjoy
link is correct for names

Marriage William JOHNSON to Margaret JOHNSON Rathdrum Oct-Dec 1882 2/807
Birth William JOHNSON Rathdrum Jan-Mar 1884 2/916
Birth John JOHNSON Rathdrum Oct-Dec 1887 2/816
There are deaths in Rathdown that could be William in the 1890s making Margaret a widow in 1901

There is a marriage for William JOHNSON Jul-Sep 1919 Dublin North 2/488 which maybe John's brother particularly in light of the obituary

There is a death record for Mary Esther Johnson which maybe John's first wife in Dublin North Jan-Mar 1918 aged 23 2/374
and a birth record that maybe Evelyn as Evelyn Maud Dublin South Oct-Dec 1913

The second marriage is easier to follow as it is later and by entering COADY as the mother's name you can see three entries for children on www.familysearch.org (not giving details as maybe living people)

These may or may  not be correct but they could be a good starting point
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline castletown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 June 11 02:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys,

Many thanks for all your interest and input.  My brother and I have taken note of all the info you've posted and have linked it to a certain extent with the birth, marriage and death certs we have in our keeping.  So far the info ye've provided kinda gels with what we have. However we've drawn a blank and believe the fly in the ointment is our lack of finding information on the first wife of John Johnson (born 1887).
We've tried to find a link between the two through the Census of 1901 and 19111  but have failed. We know her maiden name was Tyrrell, apparently of the shipbuilding Tyrells of Arklow and they had two daughters, Evelyn and Margeret.
Both Evelyn (Becka) and Margaret (Peggy), (our Aunts) are long dead and we've asked their children if they can shine any light on their mothers background.  Unfortunately they have no documentation available.  We think this is because their father 'John Johnson' (our grandfather) coverted to Catholicism and because of this was most likely ostracised from his own family and his first wifes family.

Thanks again for all your help.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 June 11 11:01 BST (UK) »
do you have any estimate for Evelyn and Margaret's years of birth ?

presumably this first marriage (i.e. Johnson/Tyrell) would have been shortly after 1911 ... and possibly in Dublin, since that's where John seems to have been living at that stage.

Shane
My Surname Interests