Author Topic: Advice please.  (Read 2254 times)

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
Re: Advice please.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 30 May 11 23:25 BST (UK) »
And one other thing to add - it is quite possible that your friend's mother had a relationship, outside marriage, with an unsuitable man in her family's eyes (leading to the ostracization), and it was this man who gave her the syphilis which affected her children.

Her only "sin" therefore, was to have a relationship outside marriage, if sin it can be called.  The rest is just very very sad.

I thought that this might be helpful to have in mind, if you decide to tell your friend.
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Finder

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 00:47 BST (UK) »
In my family research I found something that totally stunned me, I've decided not to say anything to anyone about it, was a long time ago & we all make mistakes, I'm just leaving it buried in the past, it's of no use to anyone & will only cause hurt

James

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for GG Grandad... Must have GSH
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 03 June 11 02:43 BST (UK) »
The time period was the 1940's and I suspect it was the first half, when they were 'overpaid, over-sexed and over here'.

Many young unmarried girls (and often married ones  :o ) fell for the attractions  and benefits of the Yanks. If this was the case, how would you explain it to your friend? Well, he is probably not stuck in Victorian morals and could accept the circumstances.

No offence intended to those across the pond, but that is how it was. It is human nature  ;D