Author Topic: Where do I go from here? COMPLETED - WITH THANKS!  (Read 6520 times)

Offline HMGG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Cranage, Bowman, Green, Hogan, Murphy, Johnston
    • View Profile
Where do I go from here? COMPLETED - WITH THANKS!
« on: Wednesday 01 June 11 23:44 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find a marriage certificate for James Frank Bowman (b. 1833 or 1838 - Wisbeach, Cambs) and Elizabeth Chinnery (b. abt 1837 - Lynn, Norfolk).  Elizabeth Chinery is listed as "Betsy Bowman" on the census of 1871; however she is noted as Elizabeth Chinnery on her first daugther's birth certificate issued in 1864.

The family appear to have moved to Bethnal Green, but I can't say when.  James is a private coachman (on his daughter's birth certificate in 1864), so I might presume both were servants prior to marriage.   

I have full access to all the indexes on ancestry and I've tried searching on the LDS Family Search site to no avail, i.e. there doesn't appear to be any official record of James and Elizabeth marrying, though his second marriage to Frances Ann Bray was easily obtained.   They are the victims of a horrible mis-transcription which I am unable to unravel or just told everyone they were married, but they weren't, which would be odd given James Frank Bowman is listed as a widower on his second marriage certificate.

My question is:  If I have exhausted searches at ancestry and LDS, where do I go from here in trying to locate a marriage certificate? 
Bowman (Cambs), Crannage (Staffs, Herts and Shropshire), Cranage (Staffs, Hereford & Shropshire), Duproy (AUS/Kent, England), Fletcher (Derbyshire, England), Green (Derbyshire & London, England/Dublin, Ireland), Hogan (AUS/Ireland), Johston (AUS/Ireland), Lietzow (Prussia/Pomerania), Mapstone (Somerset, England), Murphy (AUS/Ireland), Oxford (AUS), Pehlke, (Prussia/Pomerania/Poland), Pocock (Bucks & Berks, England), Robinson (Worcester), Shearman (Gloucester, England), Skinner (Kent, England)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Where do I go from here?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 June 11 23:51 BST (UK) »
Hi

It's not on Freebmd either. http://www.freebmd.org.uk

It doesn't look as if they married. Perhaps if they lived together for a long time and especially if they had children, he thought it best to describe himself as a widower on his second marriage.

Added: There is this entry on Freebmd, where obviously the details are illegible, would be hard luck if it was the one you needed.

Marriages Dec 1862   (>99%)
Bowman    James        *    _a   11_7   
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 June 11 00:04 BST (UK) »
Hi

The 1871 census shows James as a plumbers labourer - not a coachman

They are mis-transcribed in 1861 as Bowruao and living in Warwickshire so any marriage may be pre-1861

James 27 labourer b Wisbech
Elizabeth 23 b ??Saddlebow Norfolk
RG9 Piece 2201 Folio 87 Page 19
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline geoff_43

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Grandad's Night Out
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 June 11 00:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There is a marriage 1861 Q1 Holbeach 7A 415

James Bowman

Bride either Elizabeth Chinery or Emma Pulford

Other groom was Francis Law Walker if you wish to cross reference them on the census

Geoff
Ruffle - Essex/Suffolk
Nelson - Westmorland
Worsfold - Sussex
Clover - Essex

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 June 11 00:10 BST (UK) »
Per freebmd

Marriages March qtr 1861  
James Bowman   Holbeach  7a 415    
Elizabeth Chinery
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 June 11 00:13 BST (UK) »
How did I miss that?  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Jan  ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HMGG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 June 11 01:20 BST (UK) »
Per freebmd

Marriages March qtr 1861  
James Bowman   Holbeach  7a 415    
Elizabeth Chinery

How the hell did I miss that?    Thank you so much for this.

The 1871 census shows James as a plumbers labourer - not a coachman

They are mis-transcribed in 1861 as Bowruao and living in Warwickshire so any marriage may be pre-1861

James 27 labourer b Wisbech
Elizabeth 23 b ??Saddlebow Norfolk
RG9 Piece 2201 Folio 87 Page 19

Thank you for this.

So, now my question is: what am I doing wrong?  Why, after hours and hours of trying over several weeks, could I not find these records?   What should I have searched for?
Bowman (Cambs), Crannage (Staffs, Herts and Shropshire), Cranage (Staffs, Hereford & Shropshire), Duproy (AUS/Kent, England), Fletcher (Derbyshire, England), Green (Derbyshire & London, England/Dublin, Ireland), Hogan (AUS/Ireland), Johston (AUS/Ireland), Lietzow (Prussia/Pomerania), Mapstone (Somerset, England), Murphy (AUS/Ireland), Oxford (AUS), Pehlke, (Prussia/Pomerania/Poland), Pocock (Bucks & Berks, England), Robinson (Worcester), Shearman (Gloucester, England), Skinner (Kent, England)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 June 11 01:36 BST (UK) »
How did I miss that?  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
Jan  ;D

Per freebmd

Marriages March qtr 1861 
James Bowman   Holbeach  7a 415   
Elizabeth Chinery

How the hell did I miss that? Thank you so much for this.

Maybe you searched for Chinnery with 2 "n's"?
Maybe you were looking for the marriage in the bride's parish?
Maybe the record was added after you searched? (I was unable to find an ancestors marriage on Freebmd one week and when I returned a week later it was there!  :o It has appeared as if by magic!  ;))

;D

Offline HMGG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 June 11 01:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your suggestions.  I searched for Chinery, Chinnery, Elizabeth, Betsy, James, James Frank, Beauman, Bowmann, Boman, and all sorts of combinations, excluding and including information as I went.  I investigated over 100 pages of searches individually on ancestry.   I had his father's name, Henry Christian Bowman to aid me in my search, but this also led me nowhere.   :-\

It was in sheer desperation I turned to the experts here at Rootschat, because I just couldn't find it.  I really just can't figure out how people here can find these records, but I am very, very grateful you can.   ;D

Thank you folks, I am off to purchase the certificate and find out more about her parents now.   :D