Author Topic: Robert Edward Allured Sawyer b 29/12/1890 (Galway?)  (Read 3387 times)

Offline LibbyW

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hannah Louise Robins 1877-1946
    • View Profile
Robert Edward Allured Sawyer b 29/12/1890 (Galway?)
« on: Thursday 28 April 05 10:08 BST (UK) »
This is my husbands Grandfather, of which we know very little!

We believe he is one of a twin, both boys supposedly ran away from home aged 15, Roberts brother is believed to have gone to Canada and joined Royal Canadian Mounted Police. When they wrote to one another they addressed 'Dear Allured' and signed 'The Other Allured'. Presumably they both had Allured in there name.

Robert married in Lincoln Registery Office in 1917 he was a Sergeant 2nd Lincolnshire Regiment. His father Robert Pizzie Sawyer occ a Gentleman.

Not much I know but any help or ideas greatfully appreciated

Libby
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Perry:- Middlesex, Hertford, Essex.  Britton:- Middlesex, London, Gloucester.  Murray:- Lancashire.  Lee:- Liverpool.  Bennison:- Cumberland, Yorkshire? Robins:- Liverpool, London, Devon.  Procter:- Liverpool. Westhead :- Liverpool. Norman :- Essex, Suffolk. Kitchener:- Bedford, Middlesex. Marriage:- Middlesex. Chopping:- Hertford.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Edward Allured Sawyer b 29/12/1890 (Galway?)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 April 05 18:20 BST (UK) »
Hello Libby,

I have doubts about the word Allured being a family surname included in their names. Your message contains sufficient information to make me believe I am right in having these doubts and that the following theory is correct.

The twin's father was almost certainly a man of some means as he was able to describe himself as a gentleman. The twins were probably a pair of wild lads, a right handful to rear, as is the way with many twins. They obviously had a good education and were fluent in the English language as the word " allured " is not one that is included in everyone's vocabulary. I would suggest that Allured was a family nickname given to both twins because it would appear they tended to lead each other on in their childish escapades. This theory is strengthened by both boys running away from home as fifteen year olds.

Best Wishes,  Christopher

Offline LibbyW

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 April 05 20:25 BST (UK) »
Christopher,

I also agree that Alured (I spelt it with two 'l's when it should have been spelt with one) is not a family surname. This is the full name used on his marriage certificate. It is also the name used by his wife in numerous official letters, which we have copies of. She also states that she believes he was born and educated in Ireland. The reason we looked first at Galway is my husbands stepUncle (considerably older than his step sister) had researched this part of the family tree, we on picking it up, wanted to confirm everything in it before moving on.
Regards
Libby

Perry:- Middlesex, Hertford, Essex.  Britton:- Middlesex, London, Gloucester.  Murray:- Lancashire.  Lee:- Liverpool.  Bennison:- Cumberland, Yorkshire? Robins:- Liverpool, London, Devon.  Procter:- Liverpool. Westhead :- Liverpool. Norman :- Essex, Suffolk. Kitchener:- Bedford, Middlesex. Marriage:- Middlesex. Chopping:- Hertford.

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 September 05 14:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Libby,
Could it simply be a double barreled name ( possible combination of mother and fathers surnames.
Read this recently on Allured

Allured.
This is an old Saxon name with the following derivations
Alfred, Allfred, Allured, Alured, Aelfred, Alverd and others.
One of the oldest of Saxon names originating in Kent
Brian1

Arnold ( Lancs ). Gordon ( Lancs, Scotland ). Dowling. ( Ireland, England, Massachusetts, Australia, Buenos Aires ) Pugh ( Pew) ( Cheshire & Lancs). Cordial ( Ireland )

Offline LibbyW

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 November 05 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Having put this down for the summer, I now start looking again.

Roberts father on his marriage certificate is named as Robert Pizzie Sawyer, occ gentleman. What would be the chances of them (all) being on the 1901 census? Robert junior and brother didn't supposedly run away until they where 15 (1908). We are not 100% sure Galway is where there from but its a good starting point from the info we have so

where do I look for the 1901 census for Ireland? is it available online? do you have any other ideas please.

All suggestions gratefully recieved
thanks

Libby