Author Topic: Shadrack Ball (1817 - 1876)  (Read 2895 times)

Offline dini

• RootsChat Extra
  • Fishing for ancestors
    • View Profile
Shadrack Ball (1817 - 1876)
« on: Monday 06 June 11 12:25 BST (UK) »
Shadrack Ball was my 2nd great-grandfather.
His parents were William and Mary Ball - of whom I know nothing.
So any information pointing to them would be very welcome.

I am also looking for concrete documentary evidence about Shadrack's birth and christening,
Shadrack was born on 26 Feb 1817  - according to IGI. 
He was christened on 13 April 1817 at Crendon Lane Meeting House Independent, High Wycombe, according to Non-Conformist records. Again, I have no documentary evidence.
On 30 January 1837 he married Sarah Darvill at Holy Trinity Church, Lane End - according to the Parish Register of Holy Trinity.
It seems, from the baptism records, that both Shadrack and Sarah were Non Conformists, but were married at Lane End in the  C of E church. Between 1753 and 1837, apart from Quakers and Jews, all marriages had to be at a Church of England. Marriages were not valid if performed elsewhere.

I know nothing about Sarah before her marriage, so a pointer to her parents would be a great help.

In addition, I have Parish Records for
St John the Baptist, Little Marlow,
St Mary the Virgin, Wendover,
St Mary, Princes Risborough,
St Michael and All Angels, Hughenden

as well as various searches for Ball, Barton, Boddy, Bowyer, Coleman, Crutchfield, Darvill, Dod, Howard, North, Oldham, Spicer, Wells, West and Weston families.

I am happy to deliver information found therein.

David
Buckinghamshire: Ball, Barton, Boddy, Bowyer, Coleman, Crutchfield, Darvill, Dod, Ginger, Holdham, Howard, North, Oldham, Spicer, Stadhams, Wells, West, Weston.
Cumberland: Bell, Kirsop
Northumberland and Durham: Anderson, Bell, Copeland, Dodd, Humble, Kirsop, Maughan, Neill, Soloman, Turnbull
Glasgow: Curry, Paterson, Youille, Summers, Grieve, Crawford, Henderson
Ireland: Summers, Anderson

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Shadrack Ball (1817 - 1876)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 June 11 12:48 BST (UK) »
According to IGI -extracted records (so quite relaible) Shadrach possibly had 2 sisters -(females who were baptised in same place as Shadrach to parents William/mary
Emily 1822 and Ealif 1819

Shadrach named one of his daughters Emily and another "Ayliff" -is this a version of Ealif???

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dini

• RootsChat Extra
  • Fishing for ancestors
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 June 11 15:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Suz, for the info.
I have traced all the way up the tree to myself - now trying to find out about Shadrack's parents, and confirm my findings (assumptions) about his wife, and her family.
I attach a pdf showing what I know about Shadrack and his immediate family.

Dini
Buckinghamshire: Ball, Barton, Boddy, Bowyer, Coleman, Crutchfield, Darvill, Dod, Ginger, Holdham, Howard, North, Oldham, Spicer, Stadhams, Wells, West, Weston.
Northumberland and Durham: Anderson, Bell, Copeland, Dodd, Humble, Kirsop, Maughan, Neill, Soloman, Turnbull

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 June 11 22:19 BST (UK) »
Wonder if this is Sarah's parents??

Church St Chesham Bucks
Joseph Darvill 57 labourer
Matthew 17 labourer
Sarah 57 Charwoman
Emma 7

all b in county
HO107 47 1 11 17

ignore this - I have just noticed you have Sarah's mother as Elizabeth

If you had the record of Sarah's birth from IGI -giving parents as Joseph Darvill and Elizabeth treat with some caution as it is a submitted record -not extracted

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline dini

• RootsChat Extra
  • Fishing for ancestors
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 07:52 BST (UK) »
No, I have two sources
1. Non-Conformist Records, http://www.bmdregisters.co.uk
2. Parish register, Baptist Upper Chapel, Princes Risborough.

I did a search of Darvill births for Buckinghamshire and unearthed several Sarahs, of which this one fitted the age and characteristics best.
Shadrack was baptised at Long Crendon Meeting House, and was also non-conformist.

So it is likely that Sarah was the right girl for him.

I also take IGI with a pinch of salt.
In order to be sure of following the right ancestral branch I like documentary evidence in the form of birth, marriage and death certificates. For pre 1837 my main source is the Parish Register.

Offline Orpheus

• RootsChat Senior
  • Quartermain arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 09:00 BST (UK) »
Shadrack Ball was my 2nd great-grandfather.
His parents were William and Mary Ball - of whom I know nothing.
So any information pointing to them would be very welcome.

The will of Mary BALL of High Wycombe dated 20 April 1849 is held at the Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies in Aylesbury (sorry don't have a reference).  In it she mentions her sons Thomas and Shadrach, her daughters Sarah wife of James COOPER and Emily BALL, and her granddaughter Mary Ann NEAL the daughter of her son in law John NEAL.

Sarah BALL married James COOPER at High Wycombe on 21 November 1821.  In the 1851 census they are living in High Wycombe and Sarah lists her birthplace as 'Atherley, Gloucestershire [Down Hatherley}.  Thomas BALL, a bricklayer, is also living in High Wycombe in 1851. and gives his birthplace as Cheltenham.

The IGI has extracted records for the baptisms of Sarah [25 Sep 1803] daughter of William and Mary BALL and Thomas [19 Jan 1806] son of William and Mary BALL, both at Down Hatherley, Gloucestershire.  The marriage of William BALL and Mary SMITH took place at Down Hatherley on 8 Nov 1802.  I note you have this couple as Shadrach's parents in your PDF file.
Quartermain and variants - Oxfordshire
Wiggins - Oxfordshire
Lowe - Charney Bassett, Berkshire
Bettle - Bedfordshire and Northamptonshire
Marshall - Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire
Goodman - Buckinghamshire

Offline dini

• RootsChat Extra
  • Fishing for ancestors
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 10:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this information.
I had discovered the Gloucestershire connection, but mobility was not great in the pre-industrial early 19 century, so I was suspicious and loath to follow it up.
At that time, more and more buildings were being constructed of brick, and a bricklayer would have been the equivalent of a medieval mason - able to find work all over the country.
You have revived it for me, and I will now look more closely for pointers and documentation.

I am most grateful
Thank you
David

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 12:36 BST (UK) »
Hi David ,

Just thought I'd mention the IGI extracted records are usually reliable (allowing for transcription errors -as with every record) it is the submitted records which are not so reliable -sometimes they are nothing more than guesswork

Suz

Offline Kirsty77

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 19 February 22 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Suz, for the info.
I have traced all the way up the tree to myself - now trying to find out about Shadrack's parents, and confirm my findings (assumptions) about his wife, and her family.
I attach a pdf showing what I know about Shadrack and his immediate family.

Dini

Not sure how to use this forum, I'm new here. Came here looking for information on Shadrack Ball as he was my great great great grandfather. Found some fantastic information. Thank you.