Author Topic: hms rinaldo wow was my ancestor really there  (Read 2259 times)

Offline jane l

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
hms rinaldo wow was my ancestor really there
« on: Tuesday 07 June 11 17:55 BST (UK) »
yesterday i was not happy  :-\ i had at long last down loaded 2 things from tna only to find that i had more info than they did on my ancestor. i infact have the orginal doc which is really hard to read so thought that getting his cert of service i could read mine no there was only 3 lines so  :-X
so i went back to look at what  had and this has taken me to find i think that my rel played a very important part in the history of Malaya.
The Slangier Incident which was a major step in establishing British rule over the nine Malay States and the creation of "Malaya".
  :o :o :o i think that my William Walter Sayers was on this ship  i have him in the 1871 census on the Rinaldo and the attachment does have the Rinaldo as one of the ships
any thoughts ?
can anyone help with the other ships on the cert i really would appreciate any help. thank you
Jane

Lowcock-Greasbrough
Morris-Derbyshire/Greasbrough/Hatfield
Chipp-Isle of wight/Mexborough/Derbyshire
Wallace+Wylie-Derbyshire
Rhoadhouse+Sellars-Greasbrough
Rickman-Hampshire New Forest+Johnson Hampshire/South Shields
Phillips/Carpenter-Lymington Hampshire
Goodwin+Beaney-Lewisham/Kent
Sayers-London/East Grinstead

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: hms rinaldo wow was my ancestor really there
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 18:56 BST (UK) »
I can make out a couple of times he went to the Barracks which is where sailors were quartered whilst waiting for a ship repair, etc.

Rinaldo  14.43
Rinaldo    5.230
Rinaldo    5.92
Barracks 15.2870 /AB/ 11 July 74   / 8 Sept 74/ Durham
Durham     5.62    /AB/ 12 Sept 74 / 31 Dec 74
  do             "
  do             "
  do             "
  do             "   /AB/ 1 Jany 76/ 9 March76/Melville Hoy!
P? N? Barracks 15.5344 / AB/ 24 May76 /17 Aug76/ Shore
                                      /     /                 /           /By Purchase

I've surfed trying to find something about the "Cause of discharge" entry of Melville Hoy and why it should have an apparent exclamation mark after it... nothing found.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline jane l

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 19:06 BST (UK) »
thanks Rena -every bit helps
Jane
Lowcock-Greasbrough
Wallace+Wylie-Derbyshire

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 07:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane

Meville Hoy (exclamation mark) is this place - http://www.medwaylines.com/medwaymaritimehospital.htm

Was he born in East Grinstead in 1853, and entered the RN in 1868? While it is nice to have the original there are two records on the NA website that may be easier to read - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/search-results.asp?searchtype=browserefine&query=first_name%3dwilliam%20walter%7clast_name%3dsayers&catid=15&pagenumber=1&querytype=1&mediaarray=*

Like the original they will only be one page each, as the RN had the habit of giving most of the paperwork to the man when he left.

Ken

Offline jane l

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 10:59 BST (UK) »
hi Ken
thanks for that yes that's him and  these were the 2  records i have just got -most of the pages were blank  :-\ there was only a couple of bits of info that was of use. so my original cert has far more on it if some what hard to read in places
in 1881 he was a patient in St Thomas Hospital London-where he then stayed on as a Hospital porter
Thanks Jane
Lowcock-Greasbrough
Wallace+Wylie-Derbyshire

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 15:34 BST (UK) »
I couldn't find a steamship SS Durham in the timeframe, all I could find was His Majesty's Ship HMS Durham

HMS Active was a 36-gun fifth rate launched in 1845, becoming a training ship and being renamed HMS Tyne in 1867 and HMS Durham in 1867. She was sold in 1908

I wonder if this could have been the ship?  It was a training ship in the 1870's and one would think a learner could have been involved in an accident climbing the rigging,tying the hawsers, etc., etc and been hospitalised but not an experienced jack tar!
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline jane l

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 16:04 BST (UK) »
gosh you are doing better than me i will have to look into that-looks like i just might need glasses  8) hadn't seen the Melville Hoy! and couldn't make out the Durham so thanks again
Jane
Lowcock-Greasbrough
Wallace+Wylie-Derbyshire

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 June 11 06:43 BST (UK) »
Yes Ken is correct with the Hospital, the entry is Melville hosp'l  your exclamation mark is the final  l. 
Ranks before his status as AB are BOY 2ND CLASS and BOY IST CLASS.
final entry means your man purchased his discharge from the navy.

James

Offline jane l

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 June 11 14:02 BST (UK) »
thanks James -though it does look like Hoy !  have spent a little time reading about the hospital. thanks also about the ranks-it did take me sometime to work them out- as Bic =Boys Class 1.
yes he did purchase out of the RN Barracks on the 7th aug 1876 cash £12 -that was one of the few bits of info i did get from the on-line doc's. He then went into the Merchant Marines.
would any one have any idea what the 2nd ship's name would be ? i think the 1st one is St Vincent
Maybe i should put this Cert on the Deciphering & Recognition board as there are one or 2 things that i can't read very well but as there are already 2 topic's on this man i don't won't to add anymore and cause a problem
thanks again to all it really is a great help when others can see things you can't
Jane
Lowcock-Greasbrough
Wallace+Wylie-Derbyshire