Author Topic: Relation to the Dukes of Bedford?  (Read 12349 times)

Offline akoenen2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Relation to the Dukes of Bedford?
« on: Wednesday 08 June 11 17:19 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I have a few stories that connect my ancestor William Thomas Pulleyblank to a woman named Florence, who was supposedly related to the Dukes of Bedford.

Here is one version of this story..
In the late 1850's to early 1860's William Thomas Pulleyblank worked as a game keeper on the Woburn Albey Sands Estate. The ancestral home of the Dukes of Bedford - Family Surname Russell. In about 1860 he eloped with Florence, who was related to the Russell family. They married and settled in Chichister, on the southeast coast of England where their son William Thomas Pulleyblank was born October 1861. Sadly Florence died not long after his birth, and the Duke allured William to return to Woburn Abbey and resume his old job, where he eventually married again, and had another son, who his new wife insisted on naming William Thomas, and the son of Florence had to go by the second name of Tom. His step mother disliked him so much that at the age of 13 he ran away to sea and joined the Royal Marines.
When serving in Plymouth, Devon he eventually met Bessie Kitson, of Ivybridge - a nearby small town. They subsequently married and settled at 53 North Street, Plymouth - a home which has survived the german bombing and is still lived in today.
Tom, (as his wife called him) and Bessie had many children, Bessie was born in 1863.

William Thomas Pulleyblank was born on October 1st, 1861 according to my great grandma's cousin in England.
I have a birth certificate for William Thomas Pulleyblank but it lists December 1860 for his birthday instead. The father was listed as William Pulleyblank, and listed the mother as "Mary Ann Rider" rather than the name Florence.
I showed this to the England cousin and she said the birth certificate was for Mary Ann Rider's son, William Thomas who took the name Pulleyblank when she married William Pulleyblank Sr. making there be two William Thomas's, one born in 1860 and one in 1861.

Now, theres another version of this story attached below. It doesn't mention anything of a Florence, which I find a bit weird. It was written by my great grandma, not the England cousin though it says some info came from our England cousin.

This is very confusing.

Any help sorting this out would be appreciated!
I have another page of info which explains some things which I will attach in the post below.

Thanks,
Alex from Iowa, USA

Offline akoenen2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Relation to the Dukes of Bedford?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 17:22 BST (UK) »
Here is the 'explanation story'.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 17:38 BST (UK) »
IN 1861 mistranscribed as Polyblank.At Lupridge, North Huish, Devon

William Polyblank 27 head Ag Lab b North Huish
Ann Polyblank 28 wife b Avestrongifford
Sarah Polyblank 3 dau b   "           "
Mary Polyblank 2 dau b "          "
William Polyblank 4 Mths son b North Huish

RG9/1420 folio 85 page 4

Carol 

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 17:47 BST (UK) »
Can't see the family anywhere in 1871,but by 1881 William Thomas Pulleyblank is 19 and a Private in the Royal Marines Light Infantry.

Based at Stoke Damerel, Devon on board a ship called the Briton.
It say he was born in Torquay.

Rg11/ 2214 folio 117 page 5

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 17:57 BST (UK) »
The only birth around 1860/61 ish for a Wm Pulleyblank is the one Carol has traced - William Thomas born Totnes reg District (Devon) in Oct/Nov/Dec 1860

This is miles away from Woburn which is in Bedfordshire

And I see that in the second document you show someone says they have looked in the Record Office at Chichester - well, that covers West Sussex! So I am not surprised that nothing was found .....

It is not tying up is it?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline akoenen2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 18:00 BST (UK) »
Yes, that's the 1861 census we have for William Sr. and Mary Ann (Rider) Pulleyblank.

Here's what else I have on him.

In 1869, Mary Ann (Rider) dies.

In 1871, William Pulleyblank (sr.) was recorded as a Farm Servant with the Luscombe family in Balterscombe, Ugborough, Devon, England.

In 1881, William Pulleyblank (sr.) was recorded as an Ag Labourer living with his brother George at Aldsworth Hill, Westbourne, Sussex, England --this is near Chichester, the birthplace in question of my great great great grandpa William Thomas Pulleyblank b.1861

In April 1881 William Pulleyblank marries Mary Anne Oakley at Westbourne, Sussex, England.

In 1891, he was recorded as an Agricultural Labourer with his wife Mary A, a cook, in the Anna L Pearse home at Little Hilliers, Stopham, Sussex, England.

In 1901, he was recorded as a Jobbing Gardener, with his wife Mary Ann, a domestic cook, boarding with Anna L Pearse at Station Road, Wavendon, Buckinghamshire,
England. --a few miles from the Woburn Abbey

In 1911, he was as a Jobbing gardener, with his wife Mary Ann at Alms Houses, Woburn Sands, Buckinghamshire, England. --still close by to the Woburn Abbey

It sparks my interest that he moved all the way from North Huish/Plymouth area to the Chichester area, then to the Woburn area....

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 18:00 BST (UK) »
IN 1891 William is married.

At 2 Catherine Street,St Andrew Plymough Devon.

William Pulleyblank 30 head 30 labourer b North Huish
Bessie wife 28 b Yealmpton Devon
Florence A dau 2 b Plymouth
Winnifred (H or M) dau 8 months b Plymouth

RG12/ 1726 folio 25 page 43.

Marriage...

Marriages Jun 1885  

KITSON  Bessie     Stoke Damerel  5b 606    
Pulleyblank  William Thomas     Stoke Damerel  5b 606    

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 18:02 BST (UK) »
This is miles away from Woburn which is in Bedfordshire

Quite near to where I live  ;)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 18:08 BST (UK) »

In 1881, William Pulleyblank (sr.) was recorded as an Ag Labourer living with his brother George at Aldsworth Hill, Westbourne, Sussex, England --this is near Chichester, the birthplace in question of my great great great grandpa William Thomas Pulleyblank b.1861

Using the Free website http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/ doesn't give you any more William Pulleyblanks b in 1861 ,the only one is the one born 1860 in Devon.
It is very much a Devon based surname,but I have foudn him in Westbourne in 1881 as a widower living with his brother ...........a butler no less!!!

Carol