Author Topic: ALLEN; Emily Elizabeth Catherine and her family.  (Read 2923 times)

Offline Avance0306

• RootsChat Extra
  • History Teaches About Our Past, Present, & Future
    • View Profile
Re: ALLEN; Emily Elizabeth Catherine and her family.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 June 11 21:14 BST (UK) »
Firstly, what concerns me is that Elizabeth (wife of Martin LAMOON) says she was born Dover (not Wye) in the 1881/1891/1901 census.  Also, there is no mention of the names Emily Elizabeth Catherine on her marriage or the aforementioned census.  Where does she call herself Emily Elizabeth Catherine?

Casalguidi :)
I am working on finding where I found that tidbit again..  Had it as Elizabeth Catherine for the longest time.. and I think that Emily is also another name for Elizabeth?

I've not found their marriage records so I can't say, really, what her name is or what she went by.. I'm speculating for the most part.

I like puzzles but this side of my family is over run with them to the point of frustration!

sara
Feder, Avance, Cantle, Wilson, Whitehead, Morton, Lamoon, Allen - American, English, Scottish, Irish and German.

Offline Avance0306

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 June 11 21:17 BST (UK) »
something just isn't feeling right.

Yes, I agree, it looks as if you have gone wrong with Elizabeth's parents.

Do you have a copy of her marriage certificate to Martin LAMOON which should give father's name and occupation/address/names of witnesses - all which may be a clue to her correct parents (it certainly looks like William Ellenton ALLEN is her father from what I can see).

Harriet Seiquin ALLEN marrys William James DAVIS 1871 Dover district.  Harriett Siequien ALLEN born Dover district 1856 would appear to be Elizabeth's sister http://freebmd.rootsweb.com

No ma'am, not yet. I'm waiting for my grandfathers birth certificate to make its way to Texas then I will order more.. I am thinking that I need to order more than one at a time.. as its already taken a month for his to even get close to processing.

I am constantly re-working my tree to tweak and fix when I find new info.. I'm just a beginner and am learning as I go. Up until this past month, I never ventured outside of the US for information. Many new things!

sara
Feder, Avance, Cantle, Wilson, Whitehead, Morton, Lamoon, Allen - American, English, Scottish, Irish and German.

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 June 11 21:26 BST (UK) »
We were all beginners once but it is such a fascinating journey once you get started :)

Elizabeth married as "Elizabeth" ALLEN to Martin LAMOON 1874 Dover district http://freebmd.rootsweb.com and in all the census (1861-1901) she is listed as "Elizabeth" or "Bessie" which is a pet name for Elizabeth.  Emily and Emma may be interchangable but they are not forms of Elizabeth.  Some records are available from the church parish registers but it looks as though Elizabeth's marriage will have to be obtained by certificate as it appears to have been a civil or non-conformist ceremony.  Was Martin a catholic I wonder? 

With regards to ordering certificates, it may be better to order one at a time to ensure you are on the right track otherwise it will be money wasted ........... they are expensive nowadays!

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Avance0306

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 09 June 11 21:33 BST (UK) »
We were all beginners once but it is such a fascinating journey once you get started :)

Elizabeth married as "Elizabeth" ALLEN to Martin LAMOON 1874 Dover district http://freebmd.rootsweb.com and in all the census (1861-1901) she is listed as "Elizabeth" or "Bessie" which is a pet name for Elizabeth.  Emily and Emma may be interchangable but they are not forms of Elizabeth.  Some records are available from the church parish registers but it looks as though Elizabeth's marriage will have to be obtained by certificate as it appears to have been a civil or non-conformist ceremony.  Was Martin a catholic I wonder? 

With regards to ordering certificates, it may be better to order one at a time to ensure you are on the right track otherwise it will be money wasted ........... they are expensive nowadays!

I think that Martin was Church of Ireland - But I've not been able to track down solid evidence for him either.

So far, my list of Cert's to buy is my grandfather's mother and then her mother.. I don't know where to get Martin's, if he even has one.

I can't find the Cantle link - My grandfather called himself a bastard but he's got the name.. I've not been able to figure that stuff out and since I don't have any living relatives who remember back in those days.. even harder!

I deleted Elizabeth from my tree - I'm going to start from scratch again on that side and hope I come out better.

Thanks again!

Sara =)

Online AJ100

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 10 June 11 12:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Avance0306

I have a lot of the Deal Parish records and have looked for William Edward Allen in the dates either side of 1829 but he is not there. Other second names, but not Edward.
This means that, while he may have been born in Deal, he was not baptised there. Quite common for a family intending to move to another town to wait and have their offsapring baptised there. Not sure of the reason.

Regards

AJ