Author Topic: Police Gazette  (Read 909 times)

Offline lesley29

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Police Gazette
« on: Sunday 12 June 11 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hello

I understand that there is information in the Police Gazette concerning army deserters.  I am researching Private James Bright (no 2087) of the 4th Foot Regiment who fought in the Crimea war and deserted from Scutari on 17 June 1855.  I wonder if anyone can steer me in the right direction?

Many thanks
Lesley

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Police Gazette
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 June 11 18:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Lesley

The Crimea medal roll says "given up as a deserter by 46th Regiment 3 December 1859".

Where did you get your information from? My records have him marked absent from June 8th.

Ken

Offline lesley29

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 June 11 19:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken

I have photocopies of the Return of Non-Commissioned Officers, Drummers &c and Privates of the 4th Regiment etc etc from Kew, but must apologise for a typing error, it should read "James Bright Deserted from Scutari 7 June".

Why would the Crimea medal roll mention "46th Regiment"?  Do you know whether this would have been reported in the Police Gazette?

I am very grateful for your interest and help.

Regards
Lesley

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 June 11 22:45 BST (UK) »
Why would the Crimea medal roll mention "46th Regiment"?  Do you know whether this would have been reported in the Police Gazette?

Hi Lesley

Notes on medal rolls were often added many years later. He would have forfeited any pension due, so they would not have kept his record. So the medal roll is as good a place as any to record what happened to him.

The Police Gazette only recorded outstanding deserters. It will not say how or when they were 'taken'. His Regiment would have told the gazette that they could take his name off the list. It should tell you his place of birth, age, occupation plus any distinguishing marks.

Ken

Offline lesley29

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 June 11 08:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that information, Ken.

Regards
Lesley