Author Topic: Completed .. Nursing and military uniform date please  (Read 1227 times)

Offline ressevera

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Completed .. Nursing and military uniform date please
« on: Monday 13 June 11 17:09 BST (UK) »
I have little knowledge of military (or nursing) uniforms and so appeal for your help.  Is this picture necessarily 1914 as was scribbled next to it in an album?  It says: "Elsie Dowson Hull 1914"  There is just some doubt, as she looks like an Olive Dowson who was born 1901 which would put the picture into the 1920s at least.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Nursing and military uniform date please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 June 11 17:51 BST (UK) »
The man is a Driver(he has spurs) in the army circa 14-18 but no medal ribbons so would date earlier than 1919

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Scarletwoman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 June 11 17:55 BST (UK) »
The length and style of her cloak and the bow under her chin is certainly no later than 1914 - if she was on her own without the soldier I would have thought it could be even earlier.  I don't think any chance at all of it being 1920s.

Sue
Scarletfinders - Researching British Military Nurses from 1880, mainly Great War period

Offline ressevera

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 19:22 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your replies, Sue and Ady.  We are now convinced that the caption is right and have found an Elsie, born 1893 who this photograph is highly likely to show.