Author Topic: Obtaining a naturalization from the National Archives  (Read 2123 times)

Offline Talie

• I am sorry but my email address is not working at the moment
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Obtaining a naturalization from the National Archives
« on: Wednesday 15 June 11 13:12 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon  ;D

I wasn't entirely sure where to post this, so please forgive me if it's in the wrong place.

On the National Archives website there is a naturalization record listed for my Swedish great great grandfather (who I know very little about.) I want to order it, but as I don't want to copy all the pages (incase I end up with thousands of irrelivent pages!  :P) I have to add details of what I want from the document. However, I have no idea what a naturalization should consist of, so I have no idea what to put  ???

I'd appreciate a hand with this!  :P

EDIT:
I was just looking up the price list to. And theres tons of ways to get a paper copy of the record.. What would be the best for a naturalization?
Lindstrom, Spall, Foot, Messenger, Cutts, Farey, Roberts, Nicholls, Bannister, Oakenfull, Whayman, Harvey, Woodfield, Collins, West Ham, Sweden, Berkshire, Wiltshire, Mile End, Essex, Epping, Bethnal Green

Offline Jeuel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Obtaining a naturalization from the National Archives
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 18:03 BST (UK) »
Don't have any experience of this, so I'd be inclined to email TNA and ask them.
Chowns in Buckinghamshire
Broad, Eplett & Pope in St Ervan/St Columb Major, Cornwall
Browning & Moore in Cambridge, St Andrew the Less
Emms, Mealing & Purvey in Cotswolds, Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham in Norfolk
Higho in London
Matthews & Nash in Whichford, Warwickshire
Smoothy, Willsher in Coggeshall & Chelmsford, Essex

Offline annswabey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 18:19 BST (UK) »
I've looked at lots of naturalisations at Kew and generally they are no more than about 10-15 pages, so shouldn't cost too much!

Offline Talie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 18:28 BST (UK) »
I've looked at lots of naturalisations at Kew and generally they are no more than about 10-15 pages, so shouldn't cost too much!

Wow! 10-15 pages? I was expecting it to be more like 1!  :o
What generally does a naturalization consist of? i've practically hit a brick wall when it comes to this ancestor and i'd really love the naturalization to have lots of information. I'm really clueless though to what it would actually say..  :-\
Lindstrom, Spall, Foot, Messenger, Cutts, Farey, Roberts, Nicholls, Bannister, Oakenfull, Whayman, Harvey, Woodfield, Collins, West Ham, Sweden, Berkshire, Wiltshire, Mile End, Essex, Epping, Bethnal Green

Offline annswabey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 18:33 BST (UK) »
Quite a few of the pages probably won't tell you anything new!

Birthplace and date of birth are normally given, along with parents names and their nationalities.  Addresses in England with dates are given too and "references" as to character and length of time in England are also included.

Offline Talie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 18:55 BST (UK) »
Quite a few of the pages probably won't tell you anything new!

Birthplace and date of birth are normally given, along with parents names and their nationalities.  Addresses in England with dates are given too and "references" as to character and length of time in England are also included.

:o :o!!
If it does say things like that, then that would be a absolute bonus! That's how little I know about my guy.. he's been a pain in my bum since day one!
I've sent off a request for estimate for the document.. asking for details of when, where he was naturalized, when he arrived in the UK, how he arrived.. any information on his family, job, anything on his swedish background etc. Hopefully they'll know what I mean and i'll get what I need. Wish me luck ha ha!

Offline BettyofKent

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 18:58 BST (UK) »
I bought my great-uncle's papers a couple of years ago. I didn't learn a great deal that was new, mainly addresses, but still interesting & worth having.

When you have found his name on the National Archive site, you will see a Piece Reference, will will be the papers referring to that person. Click on Order printed or digital copies of the record, & carry on with your order, & you should see that they will send you an estimate for your order, then you can decide if you think it's worth ordering.

I got 16 pages, A3 size, for about £8 including postage, which I thought was good value. Prices will no doubt have gone up since then.

Betty
KENT:
Stutely - Wittersham & Stone
Padgham - Wittersham
Wanstall - Northbourne
Taylor - Ringwould & Ash
Skinner - Deal
Bushell - Walmer
Spain - Walmer
Also
Schloss - Poland, Nottingham, Massachusetts & New Zealand.
Cohen - Birmingham

"Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov."

Offline Talie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 19:05 BST (UK) »
I bought my great-uncle's papers a couple of years ago. I didn't learn a great deal that was new, mainly addresses, but still interesting & worth having.

When you have found his name on the National Archive site, you will see a Piece Reference, will will be the papers referring to that person. Click on Order printed or digital copies of the record, & carry on with your order, & you should see that they will send you an estimate for your order, then you can decide if you think it's worth ordering.

I got 16 pages, A3 size, for about £8 including postage, which I thought was good value. Prices will no doubt have gone up since then.

Betty

Thank you Betty. Did you by any chance click the 'copy all pages' thing? I'm a bit of a novice and I got the impression that the particular record I wanted would of been along side other peoples records, and if I clicked to copy all other pages i'd of got all the other pages that were irrelivent to my guy. I'm wondering now if not clicking it means i'll only get one page from his naturalization..

Offline BettyofKent

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 19:26 BST (UK) »
I think I did, the reference number should just be for that person. I didn't fill in anything else.
Have you received an acknowledgement about the estimate? You are not obliged to accept it when you get it (should take about a week/10 days)
You can always ignore that & order again.

I doubt they will read all the paperwork to answer your specific questions, so you may get everything anyway.

Betty
KENT:
Stutely - Wittersham & Stone
Padgham - Wittersham
Wanstall - Northbourne
Taylor - Ringwould & Ash
Skinner - Deal
Bushell - Walmer
Spain - Walmer
Also
Schloss - Poland, Nottingham, Massachusetts & New Zealand.
Cohen - Birmingham

"Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov."