Author Topic: Hurtleys and descendents (Kippaxes, Smiths, Careys) from Burnley  (Read 871 times)

Offline Louise Mumford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hurtleys and descendents (Kippaxes, Smiths, Careys) from Burnley
« on: Friday 29 April 05 09:29 BST (UK) »
Looking for descendents of Robert John Hurtley, 1833-1907, cotton manufacturer from Burnley, and his seven daughters - I am descended from his only son.  I have an excellent photo of the entire family in 1881, but can only identify one of the daughters - it would be good to put names to the faces! I also have a lot of information to share about the family tree of both Robert and his wife Elizabeth Halstead, daughter of another cotton manufacturer.

Jane married Hartley Jackson (children Arthur, William, Dorothy (married George Ritchie?) and Alfred
Elizabeth married  James Kippax, (daughter Elizabeth, married James Stanley Harris)
Sarah and May both married James's brother John, a doctor (children Donald, Florence (married John Curtin) and May)
Henrietta  married James Smith (daughter Elizabeth, married Ernest Leslie Fielden)
Alice married Samuel Pearce Carey (dauhgters Elsie, married name Breach, Olive, married name Comber, and Gladys.
We are in contact, by a lucky accident, with the family of the seventh daughter, Ellen

If you are descended from any of these, please get in touch

Hurtley: West Yorkshire, Burnley
Slater, Pul(l)man, Shackleton: West Yorkshire
Holden: Shuttleworth, Tottington, Blackpool
Kay: Ribchester, Longridge, Manchester
Townsend: Essex, Liverpool
Wigglesworth: Skipton, Burnley
O'Neill: Belfast, Liverpool
Mumford: Essex, London, Pembrokeshire, India
Cox: India, Dover

Offline Louise Mumford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hurtleys and descendents (Jacksons, Kippaxes, Smiths, Careys) from Burnley
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 September 06 20:38 BST (UK) »
Since I posted this, I have made contact with the descendents of all my Burnley great-great aunts apart from one - Jane Shepherd Hurtley, who married Hartley Jackson. I have found out something about her, though - she was musical and went to Leipzig to study, her sisters May and Sarah going with her. My contact said she thought there were no grandchildren, but she knew about two of the sons, one who went to Canada and didn't marry, and another who lived in Simonstone.
If you are descended from any of these Jacksons or know anything about them, please get in touch
Hurtley: West Yorkshire, Burnley
Slater, Pul(l)man, Shackleton: West Yorkshire
Holden: Shuttleworth, Tottington, Blackpool
Kay: Ribchester, Longridge, Manchester
Townsend: Essex, Liverpool
Wigglesworth: Skipton, Burnley
O'Neill: Belfast, Liverpool
Mumford: Essex, London, Pembrokeshire, India
Cox: India, Dover