Author Topic: 1722 Purley marriage Hart & Teggns  (Read 2313 times)

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
1722 Purley marriage Hart & Teggns
« on: Saturday 18 June 11 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hi can anyone help with these two people please?

I have found on family search a marriage in 1722 in Purley between John Hart and Priscilla Teggns,  but that is all there is,  I can't find any children for them I can't find any record of a likly baptism for Priscilla,  I am wondering if the surname is transcribed wrongly,  does anyone have another source they can check the marriage in.  I checked my (admittedly early version) of the Berkshire burial index and I can't find anything that would seem to fit these people.  They may have lived in Oxfordshire as Purley is right on the boarder. 

They caught my eye as 60 years later a John Hart from Abingdon moved to Purley and married there,  was there a connection?  I am trying to find the ancestors of my Thomas Hart from Abingdon born about 1775 who named one of his daughters Priscilla.  I hope this makes sense

DebbieG
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1722 Purley marriage Hart & Teggns
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 June 11 15:11 BST (UK) »
Hi DebbieG,
 Taken from the Berks Burial Index (issue 9) (ex BFHS) is this burial;
20-11-1785 John HART, bur. Purley, St.Mary the Virgin - could this be yours??

Also I have a printed book of marriages(1662-1840) for Purley and this entry is listed;
5-4-1722 John HART, P, Hurst.    to     Priscilla  TEGGUS, P, Pangbourne. By Licence.
I haven't worked out what the letter P stands for- it appears against many entries.

This may be of some help.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline Wahian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 June 11 16:37 BST (UK) »
Perhaps the P stands for Parish???

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 June 11 16:41 BST (UK) »
Alan thank you so much for that,  that name didn't look right on the family search record.  I saw that later burial in Purley without ages its difficult to tell but it could be a young child of the John that married there - or as you say it could be the much older John who was there in 1722.  As for the mentions of Hurst and Pangbourne - the plot thickens.

:-\

Debbie
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk