Author Topic: Anthony Sutton  (Read 27260 times)

Offline Lee R

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anthony Sutton
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 19 June 11 18:22 BST (UK) »
Yes that is our Anthony and I do have most all information about him and the family from the time he emigrated to Canada from Glassnamellen in 1818.  When he was born in 1803 I have no record of his parents and when passed in 1878 there is no record of where he is buried.
Just wondering if there are Suttons living in Wicklow who wouod be related or if there are celetery records of Suttons in the area.  This is a long time puzzle...
Thanks for any help ...
Lee

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 June 11 18:33 BST (UK) »
not sure if you've already seen these - there's a number of Sutton households listed in the same area on the 1901 and 1911 census returns :

1901 - Sutton, Calary DED

1911 - Sutton, Calary DED

there are also a number of Sutton households on Griffiths valuation in the same parish - see : link  Griffith's was a property taxation survey and shows heads of household and details on the holding they occupied. The returns are dated 1852 for this area.

There are links to some Memorial Inscriptions in the 'Wicklow Resources and Links' post at the top of the Wicklow board. I have read that many of the older headstones in Calary graveyards either have no inscription or they are unreadable.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 20 June 11 09:07 BST (UK) »
you can see a transcription for Calary (CofI) at this link, but it's a cached version from google - the live IGP link seems to be broken - link

The IGP link is now working again. You can see a list of the transcriptions and photos for a number of Co. Wicklow cemeteries - including Calary

IGP Web. Co. Wicklow, headstones

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 18:19 BST (UK) »
Suttons listed as Head of Households in Calary 1852-53 on http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php include:-
Anthony, Glasnamullen
James, Glasnamullen
John, Glasnamullen
Thomas, Glasnamullen
William, Glasnamullen 
Elijah, Ballyremon Commons
Elizabeth, Calary Upper
Maryanne, Calary Upper
Allen, Calary Upper
Samuel, Calary Lower
Richard, Ballinastoe

Areas listed are within yards of one another, dotted around Calary.

Cheers

Offline Lee R

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 22:18 BST (UK) »
I am wondering if anyone would have an idea of any email addresses of Suttons living in the Calary - Glasnamullen area.  It is possible that they could be descendants.  I appreciate all the help everyone is giving me in this.
Lee R

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 22:59 BST (UK) »
Email addresses and details of living people may not be posted on RootsChat. If anyone has any details please use the Private Message System to send them to Lee R

Leinster Moderator
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 22 June 11 14:19 BST (UK) »
You could try searching the Eircom Phone book online to see if there are any Sutton households listed in the area - http://www.eircomphonebook.ie/

Anther option would be to try sending a letter addressed to 'The Sutton household', Glasnamullen, Co. Wicklow  Rural postmen usually know their area very well and might be able to deliver to a possible connection if any of the family  are still in the area.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline llij

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 03 September 11 11:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Lee,
I too have been researching the Wicklow Sutton's for many years.
I think I may have found a possibility for you. I'm wondering if your Anthony could actually have been born Arnold Sutton (20 May 1803 in Wicklow?).
Arnold had a brother Thomas (born 3 Oct 1790) who married an Elizabeth Gilbert. She married again to a David Edge. Children from these marriages were Thomas who died 1902 (married Frances Bennett), and an unknown female who married William Morrison.
Could it be possible that Elizabeth Gilbert then married your Anthony (Arnold)?
The Morrison family were in Canada as was another sister of Thomas, Elizabeth, who married William Bates.
I know it's a bit of a long shot but I think it may be possible.
Kind regards

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 03 September 11 12:11 BST (UK) »
See:
http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.sutton/999/mb.ashx

Other people researching Sutton in Calary area.

PM