Author Topic: 44 Pound Lane/Briar Close Poole Dorset  (Read 2043 times)

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
44 Pound Lane/Briar Close Poole Dorset
« on: Sunday 19 June 11 14:55 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone with local knowledge could tell me when the development of Briar Close, Poole took place? 

A distant relative of mine used to live at 44 Pound Lane, Poole which would appear to be the house that was demolished in order to provide an access road to the infill development of Briar Close. 

The relative died in November 1970 and as she was intestate and had no surviving family Fraser & Fraser traced members of her extended family (including my father) and proceeds of her estate were shared amongst them.  I've been looking at her Estate Accounts and the Administrator's Report says this about 44 Pound Lane:

All the assets have been called in and the delay in the winding up of the estate was due to the fact that at the rear of the bungalow, 44 Pound Lane, Poole, there was a piece of land which it was thought might possibly be ripe for development and the Administrator was duty bound to see if Planning Permission could be obtained for development as this would have considerably increased the value of the bungalow.  This, of course, took time and it was unfortunately found that with the very limited Planning Permission that might be granted it was no advantage to the estate to proceed with this method of disposal of the property as no developers were interested, which was subsequently sold at a very good figure, namely, £5,000.

I spent quite a while looking at Google Maps to find where 44 Pound Lane was before I realised it must have stood where Briar Close is nowadays.  I'm just interested to know how long after the sale of no. 44 the demolition and new development took place. 

Thanks for any help you can give
Heather
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 44 Pound Lane/Briar Close Poole Dorset
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 June 11 17:45 BST (UK) »
Looking at the Street View version of Google Maps confirms that No 44 was knocked down to build the close (the number on No 40 is very clear).

The style of houses suggests that it wasn't long after 1970 that the bungalows were built.

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 44 Pound Lane/Briar Close Poole Dorset
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 June 11 18:05 BST (UK) »
That's what I was thinking Richard!  It seems the 'very limited planning permission' managed to stretch to six semi-detached bungalows, worth quite a lot I'd say.   Oh well never mind, the spark of interest in genealogy was worth more than the small amount inherited  ;)

Thanks for your input
Heather
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras